Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When does a "heat check" turn into a "crack"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 02:41 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
I drive a '08 C6. There is just something great about those Raybestos ST43s! They really have good feel, work well for a long time and are easy on the DBA slotted rotors I've used now for 5+ years. Hoping everyone out there has found them.
Agreed on the great performance of the ST43's.....however, I'm getting tired of dealing with the padlets......have you ever seen ST43 single pads for the Z06?

Last edited by harrydirty; 03-28-2017 at 02:41 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:00 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by harrydirty
Agreed on the great performance of the ST43's.....however, I'm getting tired of dealing with the padlets......have you ever seen ST43 single pads for the Z06?
I have single-piece pads for my iron C7 Z06 brakes. They swap in and out just like the OEM pads. Have you called Porterfield and asked?

Last edited by spearfish25; 03-28-2017 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:54 AM
cre8fun
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
That rotor probably has several sessions left in it. Inspect carefully after a good cool down lap. If the crack extends to the edge it is time to trash it. If your fingernail catches in the crack you are getting close. The major thing you need to do is get some cooling air to the rotor. Search the forum for the DRM ducts and use in conjunction with the LG spindle ducts. They are not too hard to install and will greatly enhance rotor life. The next decision you have to make is rotor type. Either stay with cheap NAPA stockers and replace them often or spend the bux on a top quality set of DBA 5000 two piece rotors. I tried various brands, cryo treated, and none provided any benefit over stock cheapos. Forget the drilled / slotted crap that is out there - total waste of money for track use. THE DBA have a noticeably thicker friction surface than stock and will last 5X longer, especially WITH COOLING DUCTS. IMHO Bottom line do the ducts and DBA rotors.

agreee 100%. I actually ran the DBA 4000 for a while and they would last more than 10 track days on a single set (they are a good bit cheaper than the 5000, so if they do the job for you, they might be a great first step). I think they are $130-150/each depending on where you get them. THmotorsports had them cheap.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:11 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by hanseng1
Carbotech XP10s. This is the second set of fronts I've had this happen to, both with XP10s: first set lasted two weekends, second set lasted one short weekend.

I always run a full cooldown lap without touching the brakes, and rotate the wheels 90* several times after parking (usually 5 minute intervals, roughly speaking).
XP10 is fairly easy on rotors I would look into some cooling ducts.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 03-28-2017, 02:53 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

I wrote a blog post on this topic last summer...

When is it time to replace my iron brake discs?
Old 03-28-2017, 04:05 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I agree that the rotor has several sessions left in it. I use the fingernail rule to judge when to replace. I am uncomfortable with a big rotor failure at the speeds we do so I replace on the early side. That said, I know several that wait until cracked all the way through. Eyeball them when you get in and if cool enough, fingernail them before you go out. If the crack extends to the outer edge, they have got to go.

Whichever way you go on the rotors, get some cooling ducts. They will significantly decrease wear rates. As for the rotors, I have always viewed them as disposable items. The Centric Premiums and the KNS 4ks have worked just fine for me. Once I installed the the Quantum duct kit and a Katech splitter/undertray, I have never had brake cooling issues. I never went to 2 piece rotors as I view it as virtually impossible for them to outlast 3, 4 or 5 sets of the rotors above to make them just equal in cost.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:21 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex

Jeff, how does one easily check the inside rotor surface every session of a track day? Do I need to pull the trigger on an iPhone boroscope? It seems impossible to directly see the inner rotor face without pulling my wheels.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:54 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
I have single-piece pads for my iron C7 Z06 brakes. They swap in and out just like the OEM pads. Have you called Porterfield and asked?
Yup, no joy...........
Old 03-28-2017, 06:10 PM
hanseng1
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex

Read the article. Very helpful; wish I had a few weeks ago. Thanks for posting the link.

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
I agree that the rotor has several sessions left in it. I use the fingernail rule to judge when to replace. I am uncomfortable with a big rotor failure at the speeds we do so I replace on the early side. That said, I know several that wait until cracked all the way through. Eyeball them when you get in and if cool enough, fingernail them before you go out. If the crack extends to the outer edge, they have got to go.

Whichever way you go on the rotors, get some cooling ducts. They will significantly decrease wear rates. As for the rotors, I have always viewed them as disposable items. The Centric Premiums and the KNS 4ks have worked just fine for me. Once I installed the the Quantum duct kit and a Katech splitter/undertray, I have never had brake cooling issues. I never went to 2 piece rotors as I view it as virtually impossible for them to outlast 3, 4 or 5 sets of the rotors above to make them just equal in cost.

Already installed the new rotors (KNS 4k) and will hopefully have the ducts this weekend, but I'll keep these old rotors as spares. May not pass the "fingernail test" as the crack is fairly wide, but based on the article above and others' feedback, sounds pretty safe to assume they have a few more sessions on them.

I tend towards a bit of paranoia given I run Road Atlanta most of the time. I'm bouncing off the limiter in 4th into the braking zone, so at that speed, and the relatively close proximity of concrete walls, the last thing I want is a disc failure.....

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:54 AM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Now this is a cracked rotor. I was the last driver stint in a 9 hour endurance race at COTA. When I pulled out of the pits at the start of my stint I could feel the crack already there. Babied it for 1.5 hours but I finished the race.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:39 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

That'll pass the finger nail test if you have really big fingers...
Old 04-02-2017, 08:46 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I don't always catch it in the pits, but if it thumps on the out lap I just try to remember to change it before the next race. It can be easy to forget about when it heats up and stops thumping and you get caught up in a battle for position. I wait until it cracks though to change though, sometimes they just hang on and on.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:31 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I personally prefer to change them a little earlier. I hate losing any track time changing parts just to potentially get a few more sessions out of a rotor or pads. The OPs first 2 pictures look like there is a gap in the crack, not just a heat check. With my luck, they would crack just before a session and I would miss out. Personally, I would swap it out before the start of the event.

Last edited by 2 GTOs; 04-15-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:23 AM
danh52
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
I drive a '08 C6. There is just something great about those Raybestos ST43s! They really have good feel, work well for a long time and are easy on the DBA slotted rotors I've used now for 5+ years. Hoping everyone out there has found them.
Who do you purchase the ST43's from?
Old 04-16-2017, 10:37 AM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

+1^
Old 04-16-2017, 10:41 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by danh52
Who do you purchase the ST43's from?

Porterfield directly

Last edited by spearfish25; 04-16-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:47 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I normally don't worry unless the crack goes to the edge.

If you're having cracking issues you really should start recording brake temps. Do the rotors and the caliper. Make sure the DRM ducts are really working.

Temperature Paint

Richard Newton
How Hot Are Your Brakes?
Old 04-16-2017, 09:09 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Great read. Thanks for sharing the link.

The C7Z roasts rotors even with all the GM track ducting.
The following users liked this post:
rfn026 (04-23-2017)

Quick Reply: When does a "heat check" turn into a "crack"?