Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Press Release; SccaPro.com: Gigliotti returns to Speed World Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 02:48 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Press Release; SccaPro.com: Gigliotti returns to Speed World Challenge

Hi guys,
We are happy to announce that we will ge re-entering the Speed World Challenge series in 2004 in a Corvette Z06. Here is the press release that SCCA published. This should be an interesting season. We will field a 3 car team with my two teamates racing for the Rookie of the year titles.
The last race that I ran in my own car was at Reno in 97, a race that I won. Sebring will be my first back in my own car. The only other WC race that I ran, in the last 6 years, was to substitute for Boris Said in a race that he got called away from and could not race in.

Thanks,
Lou Gigliotti LG Motorsports

PS, I have no beard now.

Link:
http://www.world-challenge.com/news/03press291.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

FORMER CHAMP GIGLIOTTI RETURNS TO SPEED WORLD CHALLENGE® GT IN 2004

TOPEKA, Kan. (Dec. 19, 2003) – Lou Gigliotti, of Dallas, Texas, will return to the SCCA SPEED World Challenge GT Championships beginning with the 2004 season.

Gigliotti was the first three-time Champion. (Weber photo)

After a six-year hiatus from the series, the three-time SCCA SPEED World Challenge Champion will drive the No. 28 LG Pro Long Tube Chevrolet Corvette ZO6. Gigliotti says he is looking forward to getting back into the series where he once dominated. In 69 career starts (tied for fifth all-time), Gigliotti has 19 career wins (tied for second), 39 podium finishes (tied for third) and 51 top-10 finishes (fifth) from 1990-1997.

“I had my best success in World Challenge,” said Gigliotti, owner of LG Motorsports. “The last year I raced in World Challenge was ’97 and when I left, we had the most wins. We were number one on the wins list. We’ve been knocked down to number three now. We want to get back in and move up the list a little bit. I gave P.D. [ Peter ] Cunningham six years to beat me up on that record. Now, unless P.D. stops racing for six years, I don’t know if we’ll ever catch him.

“We just wanted to get back into World Challenge. Everybody seems to have a lot more fun in this series. I like the concept and I like what Mitch [Wright] and everybody has done to the series.”

While Gigliotti is looking forward to his return, he understands how tough the competition will be and the amount of work that is ahead of him if he wants to return to the top of the SPEED World Challenge standings.

“My prediction is: it’s going to be really tough racing in the top 10,” Gigliotti said. “I will just be real happy to get back up into the top 10. To be in the top 10 in World Challenge is pretty good. My goal this year is to be in the top three as many races as I can. I hate to lose. We’re going to do everything we can to be competitive.”

Another reason Gigliotti, who won SPEED World Challenge Championships in 1991, (Super Sport Class), 1992 (B Class), and 1996 (T1 Class), has decided to return to the series is because of cost containment.

“The rules and the cost containment make it a viable series to come back and race in,” Gigliotti said. “It just has not gotten out of hand. I think it has evolved to the point where these are really nice race cars. But, cost containment has been put in place to keep things reasonable. I am looking forward to it.”

GigliottiÂ’s son, Louis Gigliotti Jr., will be his crew chief for the upcoming season. The younger Gigliotti has been his dadÂ’s crew chief since he was 16 years old.

“He has been instrumental in my racing for the last eight years,” Gigliotti said. “At 12 years old he was in the pits helping me. He’s 20 years old now. Everybody in the paddock knows him. They’ve known him since he was a little squirt and now he’s a Purdue [University] sophomore. He’s the voice on my radio. He’s the guy that keeps me right.”

The 2004 SPEED World Challenge GT season takes to the track starting March 17-20 at Sebring International Raceway. In 2004, the series will visit Lime Rock Park , Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Infineon Raceway, Portland International Raceway, Mosport International Raceway, Road America , Road Atlanta Motorsports Center and Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.

-30-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

World Challenge®, SCCA Pro Racing® and Trans-Am® are registered trademarks of the Sports Car Club of America, Inc.
Image by Mark Weber/SCCA
© 2003, SCCA Pro Racing, Ltd. All Rights Reserved.

[Modified by LG Motorsports, 1:49 PM 12/21/2003]
Old 12-21-2003, 06:59 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Press Release; SccaPro.com: Gigliotti returns to Speed World Challenge (LG Motorsports)

:cheers: I'll have to come watch for sure. This will inflame the header war with that name on the car :lol: Kick butt on the factory CTS now we have 3 forum members racing or is it 5 if the to new teams join! Good luck to all :cheers:

[Modified by John Shiels, 7:02 PM 12/21/2003]
Old 12-21-2003, 07:09 PM
bcstonic
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Press Release; SccaPro.com: Gigliotti returns to Speed World Challenge (John Shiels)

Outstanding news! Sebring is only a couple of months away and I will be there to cheer on all the C5's. See you there Lou. Brian
Old 12-21-2003, 10:04 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Re: Press Release; SccaPro.com: Gigliotti returns to Speed World Challenge (bcstonic)

:cheers: :chevy :steering:
Old 12-21-2003, 11:49 PM
MongooseLT4
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Press Release; SccaPro.com: Gigliotti returns to Speed World Challenge (LG Motorsports)

Looks good Lou, The West Lafayette group will be LG all the way :thumbs:
Old 12-22-2003, 08:25 AM
TEXAST1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who reworked your photo? :reddevil

Your not that good looking. :lolg:
Old 12-22-2003, 11:31 AM
WOT99FRC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Luck Lou, I am expecting to see you, Dave and Phil owning the three podium spots. I'm sure you want to see all three of your cars on the podium though.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:11 PM
JakeL
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: Press Release; SccaPro.com: Gigliotti returns to Speed World Challenge (WOT99FRC)

Going to be fun to see you out there with Dave and Phil - Corvette owners have a lot of drivers to cheer for!

Didn't have any idea what I was getting into when I bought this car, but I love it!

-Jake
Old 12-22-2003, 05:07 PM
z060ntrack
Drifting

Man it's going to be good to see you back on the track Lou, this is going to be a banner year in WC and a ton of G.M. products. I heard over the weekend that Leighton Reese was coming into WC also. The hell with Trans Am which is now the Jaguar/Gentilozzi anyways (boring).

Hopefully you will be selling some of the parts you are going to develope for this car. :chevy
Old 12-23-2003, 12:05 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Press Release; SccaPro.com: Gigliotti returns to Speed World Challenge (z060ntrack)

Excellent news! :yesnod:
I'm going to have to start altering my vacation plans to hit a couple WC events.

It will be great having more Corvette's in the field.

Good luck to all: Dave, Phil, & Lou!
Old 12-23-2003, 12:08 PM
VettesRule
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great News!! Good luck!
Old 12-24-2003, 12:50 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Great news Lou!!!
Good luck, and where is a schedule of events?
:cheers: :cheers:
JB
Old 12-24-2003, 01:13 AM
LG Motorsports

Default Re: Press Release; SccaPro.com: Gigliotti returns to Speed World Challenge (jbsblownc5)

Thanks guys,

THis should be a fun season. I thought I could sit it out, and break the habit, but life is too short.

I will look forward to seeing many of you at a race track near you. Below is the schedule for 2004.

Now if only I can figure out how to get some incar video into the computer.;)

LG

SCCA SPEED World Challenge GT and Touring Car

Date Event/Venue Winners/Schedule
March 17-20
With ALMS Sebring International Raceway
Sebring, Fla. TBD

May 28-31
With Busch North Lime Rock Park
Lakeville, Conn. TBD

June 25-27
With ALMS Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
Lexington, Ohio TBD

July 16-18
With ALMS Infineon Raceway
Sonoma, Calif. TBD

July 23-25
With ALMS Portland International Raceway
Portland, Ore. TBD

Aug. 6-8
With ALMS Mosport International Raceway
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada TBD

Aug. 20-22
With ALMS Road America
Elkhart Lake, Wis. TBD

Sept. 22-25
With ALMS Road Atlanta
Braselton, Ga. TBD

October 15-17
With ALMS Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
Monterey, Calif. TBD

One additional event may be added at a later date
2003 Schedule and Results

Old 12-24-2003, 01:26 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Now if only I can figure out how to get some incar video into the computer.;)

LG

What form do you have the video in?
JB

Old 12-24-2003, 11:50 AM
Red Gump
Race Director

Default Re: Press Release; SccaPro.com: Gigliotti returns to Speed World Challenge (jbsblownc5)

excellent! I look forward to meeting you in march! :cheers:
Old 12-24-2003, 12:15 PM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

:cheers: :thumbs: Lou

Old 12-26-2003, 10:27 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What type of brakes are you stting the cars up with?

Gigliotti’s son, Louis Gigliotti Jr., will be his crew chief for the upcoming season. The younger Gigliotti has been his dad’s crew chief since he was 16 years old.

“He has been instrumental in my racing for the last eight years,” Gigliotti said. “At 12 years old he was in the pits helping me. He’s 20 years old now. Everybody in the paddock knows him. They’ve known him since he was a little squirt and now he’s a Purdue [University] sophomore. He’s the voice on my radio. He’s the guy that keeps me right.”

That is the best part for both of you! Must be a proud father to share the experience. When you age then you can reverse roles. He can drive and you will be watching and worring. I think you will drive him :crazy: then.

[Modified by John Shiels, 10:35 AM 12/26/2003]
Old 12-30-2003, 10:24 PM
LG Motorsports

Default Re: Press Release; SccaPro.com: Gigliotti returns to Speed World Challenge (John Shiels)

I will have Brembo brakes on 14" rotors. The new car that I am building will have the same brakes as my Trans Am C5 had, which were 6 piston Monoblock calipers on 14" rotors. For the first race at Sebring, I will run an old car that will eventually be a spare car to be used by the team.

As for my son. He is truly the backbone behind my success. He pushes me and supports me. He will be at every race on my radio. And I am very proud of him.

I am looking forward to the day when he drives and I run the pits. I am not sure if I can take the pressure of being in the pits.

Thanks

Lou G

Get notified of new replies

To Press Release; SccaPro.com: Gigliotti returns to Speed World Challenge

Quick Reply: Press Release; SccaPro.com: Gigliotti returns to Speed World Challenge