Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repaired tire for track use

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 07:10 PM
Markatl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repaired tire for track use

I've got a pretty good size construction type staple in one of the stock rear tires. I has probably been in there awhile as it is ground down quite a bit. The tire is not leaking. If the tire has be plugged / patched, is it ok for track use? Until I pull it out, I can't tell if has gone all the way through the tread.

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:35 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Repaired tire for track use (Markatl)

I would say, no. It would be ok for normal driving, but you will be taking your life into your hands with a bum tire. A few hundred bucks is better then 50k and your life :yesnod:
Old 03-08-2004, 09:17 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Repaired tire for track use (Oyishdog)

I would say, no. It would be ok for normal driving, but you will be taking your life into your hands with a bum tire. A few hundred bucks is better then 50k and your life :yesnod:
:iagree: :iagree:

Pull it out and put some soapy water on it, and see if you can see any bubbles. If not you'll be OK.

Old 03-08-2004, 09:21 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I see no problem if you don't push the car hard. I once patched a BFG R1 at the track as to not spoil the rest of the day. Never patch the sidewall or close to it if you value your car or life.
Mike
Old 03-08-2004, 09:29 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the guys in our local club got a drywall screw in a Kumho Victor Racer. He called a Kumho rep since they only had one track session on them. Kumho's response was it was okay for high speed events as long as it was a vulcanized patch, not a plug. They also told him to watch it to make sure it didn't start seperating.

Old 03-08-2004, 09:31 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

pull it out may not even be punctured. Plug it. I run one down with a plug and used it at track events when I started.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:53 AM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Default Re: Repaired tire for track use (ZR1 MK)

I see no problem if you don't push the car hard. I once patched a BFG R1 at the track as to not spoil the rest of the day. Never patch the sidewall or close to it if you value your car or life.
Mike
:iagree:

I had a Yoko A032R patched and then ran it at 2+ track events on my '91 Taurus SHO, with no problems. Hole was in the middle of the tire, so had no issues fixing and running it. I personally would feel uneasy running a plugged tire on the track.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:02 AM
h rocks
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Repaired tire for track use (ZR1 MK)

I felt an R1 going flat at an AX years ago. It still had about 15 psi in it, so I just plugged it with a "rope" type plug and ran it the rest of the day, and the next week at Mid-Ohio with no problems. It was a nail in the center of the tread. I believe that those tires had a couple of steel belts in them and were super strong. I would feel comfortable doing it on a Victoracer as well.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:19 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Default Re: Repaired tire for track use (h rocks)

Although the tire folks say NO, I've plugged several race tires, and never had a problem. I would put it on the least-loaded side for a track event, however, just in case.

Dave
Old 03-09-2004, 11:45 AM
gcrouse
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Repaired tire for track use (davidfarmer)

Myself, I would never drive on the track, street, or otherwise with a plugged tire. As suggested, if you remove it and patch from the inside with a vulcanizing patch you should be fine (1 patch only though). Even so the tire folks say the speed rating is void after that (street tires); not sure exactly why- I thought it was mostly an issue of heat dissipation...
Old 03-09-2004, 12:01 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

I had a sharp stone puncture a Hoosier at VIR a couple of years ago. I repaired it with a plug and contiuned to use the tire until it was worn out. Not a single problem. As Dave Farmer sugested, use it on the "easy" side of the car. In my case I left in on the right front at VIR. :D

Of course, at the time, everyone told me I was crazy, but I already knew that. :crazy:

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Repaired tire for track use

Quick Reply: Repaired tire for track use