Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My second Auto-X!!! Kicken some Porsche butt.. But have a couple ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 08:46 PM
C5kid
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Default My second Auto-X!!! Kicken some Porsche butt.. But have a couple ??

Ok i wanted to get started in this at the begining of the summer but never really looked into it but my good friend w/ a Porsche 930 started taken me w/ to the Central PA Por. Club events. Then I finally got my car down first time I didn't do to bad, second time I laid down the hammer LOL it was great best $20 i ever spent.

Now For some questoins, I have a 00 FRC, spec III clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, and basicly monster motor maken 548rwhp and 500rwtq @ 5# of boost, (A&A Single Intercooler kit)

What can I do to make the car handle better? I was thinking of a heavier duty front spring some blisten shocks all the way around.

Also I wanna get some track tires, can I run 17" wheels all the way around just for track purposes? My car has no options at all!!! PLAIN JANE. Where can I get track tires? And what are good tires for Auto-X?

Thanks for any help
Old 10-18-2004, 10:21 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Well your current mods have moved you over the stock classes and into at least SM2 or maybe even AP...someone will come along with the rule book and clarify your catagory. The point being you can do just about anything you want to to the suspension without effecting your class rating.

Stiffen the springs and sway bars to at least the Z06 package. Use the '04 Z06 shocks and save yourself a ton of money. Or lower the car with an aftermarket kit and go with Koni shocks. Stick with the 18 inch rear rims for autocross and stuff the Kumho 710s 315s on them. Go with the 295s up front on the Z06 rims. If you want to tub the car then you can get wider rims and use the 335s in the rear.

How much money do you have?
Old 10-18-2004, 11:57 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Ted's suggestions are right on. Here are a few more. Read Henry Watt's "Secrets of Solo Racing." Talk to, and try to ride with, as many good drivers as possible. After the suspension mods get your car realigned for more camber. You should be able to get about -1.50 front and 1.00+ rear. Some toe-out in front helps turn-in and cornering and some rear toe-in helps keep the back end planted. The right alignment is a great bang-for-the-buck mod. One thing I wish I had done much sooner is to buy a harness, harness bar and competition seat. It's so much easier to drive precisely when you're not holding onto the steering wheel for dear life. If you're still running street pads consider getting a suitable autocross compound like Hawk HP+. They make a nice improvement over stock but are dusty for everyday use. And remember, there's no such thing as too much seat time. Have Fun!
Old 10-19-2004, 06:28 AM
C5kid
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

my car came standard w/ the Z51 package which i have been reading is the same as a Z06 sway bars, i think.....

ahhh as for money i usually just save up a couple hundred bucks and go from there, i think i am goin to do the little stuff first like getting some of those metal end links for the sway bars and then the 04 Z06 shocks
Old 10-19-2004, 10:23 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

As a fellow '00 FRC owner, I second getting the Z06 end links and forgetting everything else. The '00 end links are kinda wierd, a slim steel shaft on the fronts, and the coupe's plastic for the rears. Leave the shocks alone unless you think they've gone bad. I changed mine out after 100K miles for some new Z51 shocks and couldn't tell the difference.

Also ditto on the alignment. I have gone with 0.0 toe front and rear; it's a good compromise between street and track.

Wheels and tires. With the power you've got, get a set of ZR1 repos and tires to suit. Want more grip; spend more $$$. With the ZR1 repos you can run Kumho Victoracers, 275f, 315r. You'll spend quite a bit more money on tires for running 18" wheels for the same size (width).

Or, just get some cheap street tires that you want to learn on, then move up to the R compound tires.

HTH, and welcome to the club!

Mike
Old 10-19-2004, 10:49 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

If you plan on doing a lot of autocrossing, plan on putting in the Urethan bushings in the control arms. After a year of hard autocrossing on stock tires, my front lower bushings are 1/2 out. Also, plan on running at least 3/16 toe in for the rear settings. The rubber bushings deflect that much. Another suggestion is to get some Hardbar rear camber plates to lock in your suspension settings. Especially if you go to Kuhmo or Hoosier "R" type tires.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:50 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

If you plan on doing a lot of autocrossing, plan on putting in the Urethan bushings in the control arms. After a year of hard autocrossing on stock tires, my front lower bushings are 1/2 out. Also, plan on running at least 3/16 toe in for the rear settings. The rubber bushings deflect that much. Another suggestion is to get some Hardbar rear camber plates to lock in your suspension settings. Especially if you go to Kuhmo or Hoosier "R" type tires.

Get notified of new replies

To My second Auto-X!!! Kicken some Porsche butt.. But have a couple ??

Quick Reply: My second Auto-X!!! Kicken some Porsche butt.. But have a couple ??