Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laguna Seca World Challenge race report/ LG Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 07:50 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Laguna Seca World Challenge race report/ LG Motorsports

Well, most of you already know that we had a problem even though the week started out very good.

Our fastest time of the practice sessions was a 1:32.3 which put us third fastest behind the "Un-Adjusted" Porsche factory car driven by Wolf Henzler and Boris Said in the Saleen Mustang.

Both of these teams have not been in the series much this season, so they missed having their performance evaluated against all the other cars. Hence they came with performance that would not have made the season without being "adjusted".

The SCCA restricted our intake by 20%, and every car in the series was restricted based upon performance during the season. The two fastest cars, (Saleen and Porsche) escaped these adjustments.

At any rate, from my perspective, it didn't matter, since I lost power in qualifying and only managed to turn a 3:32.47 instead of improving my time. The series is so close that it put me back in 11th place on the grid.

The rules state that we cannot "open a sealed engine after qualifying" or we would have to start last. Plus we attributed the slower time to a spin on the first lap of qualifying rather than losing hp from an engine problem.

Well, things only got worse. The power fell off from the first lap and slowly reached the point where we cracked another LPE cylinder head. These heads are manditory but we have found that they have been ported too far, leaving the material under the rocker boss too thin. This causes the head to crack and come apart just above the intake port on the # 1 and #8 cylinders. The result is oil being poured into the port which kills that cylinder and puts out a smoke screen.

So we ended the season with a 3rd at Mosport and Atlanta and we had a very fast car for the last part of the season. Two 3rd places out of the last 4 races but only 10th in the points due to the head problems.

We are starting on our C6 for the 2005 season. The schedule is posted below for the 2005 season. We will have 2 races in Florida. Sebring and St Petersburg. Should be better than 2004.

Hopefully we will start the season with an "Equal" car per the rules. This season they took 9 races to get things straight.

See you at the races.

Lou Gigliotti LGM

2005 SCCA Pro Racing SPEED World Challenge GT and Touring Car Schedule

Date
Venue
With

March 16-18
Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring, Sebring Int'l Raceway, Sebring, Fla.
ALMS

April 1-3
Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg, Fla.
IRL

May 20-22
Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, Ohio
ALMS

July 1-4
Lime Rock Park, Lakeville, Conn.
ALMS

July 15-17
Infineon Raceway, Sonoma, Calif.
ALMS

July 29-31
Portland International Raceway, Portland, Ore.
ALMS

Aug. 12-14
CENTRIX Financial Grand Prix of Denver, Denver, Colo.
Champ Car

Aug. 19-21
Road America, Elkhart Lake, Wis.
ALMS

Oct. 14-16
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Monterey, Calif.
ALMS

TBD*
Road Atlanta, Braselton, Ga.
ALMS

*- Note: Either April 15-17 or Sept. 29-Oct. 1

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"
Old 10-19-2004, 08:05 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why don't they do a HP/weight ratio to start with? I am starting to lose interest because they can adjust so much it is like SCCA can pick the winner each week. Caddy comes out roaring then Audi and so on. It is not an easy task to equalize all the different cars but it seems extreme at times. One week the Audi's are just about choked and I'm no Audi fan. What heads will you run next year? How do you procure the heads?

PS check out the pic's I sent as you have more time now
Old 10-19-2004, 08:47 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job this year Lou. I'm sure you'll do a lot better next year now that you're back in the swing of things.

Why don't they do a HP/weight ratio to start with? I am starting to lose interest because they can adjust so much it is like SCCA can pick the winner each week. Caddy comes out roaring then Audi and so on. It is not an easy task to equalize all the different cars but it seems extreme at times. One week the Audi's are just about choked and I'm no Audi fan. What heads will you run next year? How do you procure the heads?
I know what you mean. There seemed to be a lot of adjusting going on. If they didn't adjust the Audi's again after Road Atlanta to give them some power back, there is no way that they would've won the manufacturer's championship this year. Also, I think it's unfair to bring a Saleen or Porsche in for just a couple of races and not adjust them some.

I think that Lou is pushing for the AFR heads next year.

X
Old 10-19-2004, 09:00 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Better off running a DP car, although I was happier it was SpeedGT for his business. After watching all the adjustments, SCCA can call the winner. Wonder if SCCA will all be driving Caddies as the official car next year? Rather watch T-1
Old 10-19-2004, 11:54 PM
Mike Schriber
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Lou, question for you... Not to be a smartass, but why do you think you've been having so much trouble with the heads and the other Corvettes have not?

Mike
Old 10-20-2004, 01:31 AM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

Hey Lou,
Sorry to hear of the mechanical problems, it bums me out when that happens to me.

What was a fast lap time at Laguna.

I turned a best of 1:43.4 last season there in my SCCA Regional Group 1, C4R, (second race) but hopefully under 1:39.99 soon.

I think that is better then Chambers did in the first SCCA Regional race, but they were having some motor problems, Or so they said...)

Videtto tuned a 141.9ish there the same race both in were in NASA AI Mustangs, and their friend Paul Mashouf packed the wall at 120 mph, on the front straight while leading the race, (clipped from behind while passing), he was OK but the car looked really, really bad.

I think those guys mentioned doing some driving with you,
How did they do?

Evan
Old 10-20-2004, 01:37 AM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

Hey Lou,
I also want to add that I saw a 4th gen Camaro race car built (supposedly) by you for sale out here last season and it was way way way beyond anything I've seen built out here or anywhere.
This car had the most trick stuff on it I've ever seen.
It had the rear swaybar mounted high up over the fuel cell.
and all kinds of details that blew my mind.

Just incase anyone was wondering WHO Lou is...
He's the King
Old 10-20-2004, 09:08 AM
BBQ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike Schriber
Hey Lou, question for you... Not to be a smartass, but why do you think you've been having so much trouble with the heads and the other Corvettes have not?

Mike
i was wondering the same thing
Old 10-20-2004, 09:12 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Another question. You say that the Porsche was unadjusted. Why didn't they adjust Henzler's car like Michael Culver's? Plus, they should've been adding rewards weight to Henzler's car considering that he won at Sears Point.

Just curious..

X
Old 10-20-2004, 10:41 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

Tough end for a good season, with the team showing great potential to run for the wins. Should be an exciting year next year with an LS2 to play with

If you've seen LGM's cars up close, there is a ton of trick design and detail work in them, which all contributes to the performance at the track. The C6's for next year should be awesome....
Old 10-21-2004, 01:42 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

In the SCCA vehicle tech sheets (VTS) they have a part number for the only legal heads that we can use. These are Lingenfelter ported heads with the GM part number. They had some "Core shifts" and some heads came through ported too high, leaving the rocker boss area very thin. This is where we broke our heads.

Why us and not the others? First, we rev our engine higher than the rest. That is my choice to use the tranny and rear end combo that we use. Our tuning allows us to still see great hp even at the higher rpms that we run.
In addition, the SCCA also has a rule that we CAN NOT weld on the heads or add material to them. After we had the first problem at Atlanta, (after 9 races) we found out that SCCA had already given verbal permission to cars that had this problem last season, but failed to include it in the VTS sheets. So for Laguna, we put a set of new heads on, assuming that a new set would have at least a few races of reliability in them. We were wrong. Even a new set of LPE heads cannot stand up to the rigors of racing without being welded as a precaution.

My mistake for assuming. It won't happen again, unless the welded heads also crack. keep in mind that we ran 8 races without any head issues. one would have thought that a new set would have lasted for one last race.

We are either going to lobby for AFR heads for 2005, or beg GM to lobby SCCA to allow us to either use a different casting or allow us to port our own heads to avoid overporting, The LPE heads have ports that are much too large. that takes away from the velocity of the air, and thus loses low end torque which makes any car faster on the race track.

We ran very fast for the last few races, (except Elkhart lake). We had our engine torn down by SCCA because we consistantly had the fastest trap speeds. We passed with flying colors. We were very pleased with our comback into World Challenge and we plan to be back next season. ( with no smoke)

On the bright side, when these heads crack, they just make a mess. It doesn't hurt the bottom of the engine.

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti LGM
Old 10-21-2004, 07:30 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

That stinks

Can you seal them up with high temperature epoxy?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:23 PM
gordy02corvette
Advanced

Thanks for the info Lou. Keep up the great racing.
We love watching you, great racing!!
Good Luck next season.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:22 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I am really surprised to hear about the LPE head issue. In 01 the heads were good, in 02' they overported (I had to exchange one set due to the cracking), and never had ANY problems with it last year. You could visibly see the change in porting (and then back) from year to year.

I'm really surprised and dissapointed that LPE would jeopardize reliability for you guys, especially since you were restriced so much upstream anyway.

We know you had some good runs this year, and expect much more next year. I've enjoyed your post since I haven't been able to make my own!

David Farmer
Old 10-22-2004, 12:16 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

David:

When are we going to see you back in WC GT?

X

Get notified of new replies

To Laguna Seca World Challenge race report/ LG Motorsports

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca World Challenge race report/ LG Motorsports