Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

Interesting trade / approx value help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 10:36 PM
b_pappy
Melting Slicks

Location: the GOCC are everywhere, even back from "band camp"
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Interesting trade / approx value help...

Some of you know I have been looking for a C2 almost as long as Ken Smith, just not posting as prolifically. Anyhow, today at a show a gentleman comes up and really likes my Millenium Yellow / Oak C5 convertible. Turns out he has 64 coupe in the came colors. It's a resto rod, 383 stroker very nicly detailed with billet, etc, car has Vintage A/C, custom interior. Still drum brakes all around, Billet Specialities wheels, etc. good body, very clean condition, never be stock again. A done / finished car, very cool driver / show car. He & his wife like my Corvette, and are interested in a trade. I can replace the C5, but what would something like a modded 64 be worth? I'm thinking 45,000 tops, even as nice as his. We're talking my car plus some cash, which still means i have that '57 Nomad...
Anyhow, any thoughts on the '64 value?
Bruce
(I should mention I'd rather sell the Nomad and keep my C5)
Old 09-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Glenn's 67 BB Vert
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't a c-5 easier (cheaper too) to find than a c-2--your nomad is nice someone along the line will want it --heck someone wanted ken's F*rd??? figure that (sorry ken) --if you and your wife like the car go for it i say--Glenn
Old 09-17-2006, 11:33 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

You didn't say what year your C5 is. If you can get the trade pretty close on agreed values, it might be good because C5s have a lot of competition for sales... not particularly rare.

Without seeing the car, I'm guessing 45 is too much for the '64. The 64s are on the low end of the Sting Ray price scale anyway, and this one is a custom. Deduct accordingly.

Also, look into your state's tax laws... some states have different calculations for taxing a car bought from a dealer, bought from an individual, and bought outright as opposed to trading even up with no dollar exchange. Get this information before you decide. Could be about a $3000 issue.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vettebuyer5863 is right. 1964's are the lowest priced of the midyears out there. Unless, its a fuelie and restored to NCRS specs. Nothing wrong with them. Its just most people want a 1963 because it is the first year. Or a 65-66 for the BB, disc brakes, etc...or a 1967. What does your C5 blue book for ? It may be and even swap in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5863
Without seeing the car, I'm guessing 45 is too much for the '64. The 64s are on the low end of the Sting Ray price scale anyway, and this one is a custom. Deduct accordingly.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:55 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Bruce,

If you like the car and plan on keeping it and not as an investment, swing a deal. I agree $35 to $40K tops as it will never hold value like an original car but you know that already. But if YOU like the car and the wife does too, make a deal and make yourself happy. You can always find another C-5. Or maybe C-6? Just do whatever makes you happy, then you can't lose.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:45 AM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, look into your state's tax laws... some states have different calculations for taxing a car bought from a dealer, bought from an individual, and bought outright as opposed to trading even up with no dollar exchange. Get this information before you decide. Could be about a $3000 issue.
In California, you pay sales tax on the selling price of the car - no deduction for trade-in value, private-party sale, etc.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HummelS
In California, you pay sales tax on the selling price of the car - no deduction for trade-in value, private-party sale, etc.
I do believe if you trade cars, you pay sales tax on the amount or difference in value. This does not include tarde-in but rather straight trade private party to private party. Saw it in the Calif DMV web site when I was trying to trade my 32 Coupe. But double check as DMV may have exceptions to their rule.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Glenn's 67 BB Vert
Melting Slicks

No sales tax in Oregon Ken Just 2 seasons Winter season and construction _Glenn
Old 09-18-2006, 01:19 PM
b_pappy
Melting Slicks

Thanks. My C5 is a 2000, (low mileage & immaculate) and still has 3 years GM warranty on it. I like the '64 not exactly what I was looking for, just kind of fell in my lap. Those are hard to overlook. The '64 still has drum brakes which I thought was odd with all the other custom work. I just wasn't sure what the value would be on his, further from stock than most I have been watching on the forum so it threw me. Thanks for input, I'll update as we talk back & forth. FWIW, he thought his value was around $55,000, which I thought was at least $5,000 high. Maybe if I shoot Ken some pictures he'll post them for me (hint).
Thanks again guys.
Bruce
Old 09-18-2006, 02:46 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by b_pappy
Thanks. My C5 is a 2000, (low mileage & immaculate) and still has 3 years GM warranty on it. I like the '64 not exactly what I was looking for, just kind of fell in my lap. Those are hard to overlook. The '64 still has drum brakes which I thought was odd with all the other custom work. I just wasn't sure what the value would be on his, further from stock than most I have been watching on the forum so it threw me. Thanks for input, I'll update as we talk back & forth. FWIW, he thought his value was around $55,000, which I thought was at least $5,000 high. Maybe if I shoot Ken some pictures he'll post them for me (hint).
Thanks again guys.
Bruce
Bruce,

I forgot how to post pics, old age getting to me. I had Dave post those pics of the 67 coupe for me. $55K for a restored 64 might be ok but not for a modified. Unless he has $80K in it and the mods are something to behold. But that is not important. If it's what you want, that's all that counts.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Email 'em to me. I can post them up.

rc648@yahoo.com

The 1964 sounds WAY overpriced....

Go to kbb.com or edmunds.com to get values on your car.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:21 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost
The 1964 sounds WAY overpriced....

That it is way overpriced for what the market is on a 64.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:14 PM
67435animal
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by b_pappy
Thanks again guys.
Bruce
He is way high for a 64 hotrod. Mid 30s tops in my opinion.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:49 AM
b_pappy
Melting Slicks

Thanks again for the input, and offers to post the pics for me. I didn't hear from the '64 owner today, so we'll sit and see what happens. Jerry might post some pictures for me. I may have to try and get home early one night and figure out a photo hosting web site.
Thanks for all your help on this forum, this place is great.
Bruce
Old 09-19-2006, 01:24 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

The '64 owner sounds way out of line. Too many cars out there to try to force a deal with someone who overvalues his car by $20k or more.

From your prior posts, you sound like to want to keep the C5... then keep it, move the '57 and buy the Vette you want. They aren't rare, find yours.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Pics of Bruce's C5 and Nomad. Also the 1964 in question.

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ryholmes/Dave/
Old 09-19-2006, 10:17 AM
b_pappy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost
Pics of Bruce's C5 and Nomad. Also the 1964 in question.

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ryholmes/Dave/
Wow, thanks Jerry! Last thing I did last night was send the pics, I wake up and they are posted. Anyhow, that's my C5 that he wants to trade, and my '57 Nomad I want to sell, and the real reason you are reading this, the '64 that might be part of a trade. The owner and I have not spoken since the show, so we both may be thinking. It seems to be a very nice car, but let me know what you guys spot. Thanks again for all the info here.
Bruce

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting trade / approx value help...

Old 09-19-2006, 10:23 AM
61iwon
Racer

We're talking my car plus some cash, which still means i have that '57 Nomad...

If you don't want the nomad, sell it and get the C2 you want. Darned old nomad, I could take the nomad off your hands.

I do have a '64 coupe, had the urge at times for a nomad recently ....?
Old 09-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

61iwon is right. If you sell your C5 and Nomad. You will have all the flexibility to find a C2 that you really want.

Nomad is cool. Want to post a price ?
Old 09-19-2006, 03:37 PM
b_pappy
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the support. Since you asked…I’m asking $42,500 for the Nomad, with some negotiating room. I won’t list all the specs, but it’s a strong car, nice 350, auto, PDB, very nice interior, etc. E-mail me for more pics, and Dave I would like to consider your trade if you are serious.
Bruce

Quick Reply: Interesting trade / approx value help...