Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

Whats a 1962 Corvette worth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 06:33 PM
John510
Drifting

Received 889 Likes on 381 Posts

Default Whats a 1962 Corvette worth?

I am looking at driver quality black on black auto with non original 327. Decent shape but has cracks on rear quarter fiberglass. Removeable hardtop

Non restored but decent driver. I dont want to post pics because it is not my car and I am unsure if he is a member on here.

A rough estimated value will work. Thanks

Also, what would it be worth fully restored?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:06 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 573 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Too many variables and the economy. Very rough guessing would be $25-35k, and $50k++.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Im with RED but wouldnt spend a ton on the restore, just keep it a driver.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:29 AM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

I agree with the $25-$35 range. The problem is that many folks bought these cars in the old days of pre-2007 and don't want to take the hit. I have been looking for a nice 62 for some time but asking prices are often way out of line and I don't want to offend someone with an offer more in line with today's market. I would also urge caution if a restoration is planned. Costs can very quickly get out of hand and you have much more into the car than it's worth. If you want a real nice car, keep looking. Trying to get there "on the cheap" by buying a needy car and restoring it is about the most costly way to go.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:07 AM
VettePro67
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MaineDoc
I agree with the $25-$35 range. The problem is that many folks bought these cars in the old days of pre-2007 and don't want to take the hit. I have been looking for a nice 62 for some time but asking prices are often way out of line and I don't want to offend someone with an offer more in line with today's market. I would also urge caution if a restoration is planned. Costs can very quickly get out of hand and you have much more into the car than it's worth. If you want a real nice car, keep looking. Trying to get there "on the cheap" by buying a needy car and restoring it is about the most costly way to go.
Look for a car that's done. It is very easy to underestimate the cost of a resto. Also, don't be afraid to offer someone what you think the car is worth. Whats the worst that happens? They get offended and don't sell you the car? Who cares? You were not going to buy the car at the extremely high asking price so you might as well offer what it's worth and the worst that happens is you don't buy the car. Many people got "burnt" paying big bucks for these cars, but that's not your problem if a car they paid $50k for is worth $30k today! Offer the $30k and walk away and look for another one if they turn down your offer. Good luck with your search.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:01 AM
don356
Intermediate

i'm looking at midyear's right now to replace my 63 i got rid of several years ago and initially was going to go with a 62, but changed my mind as i didn't find the car as comfortable to drive. it seems to me to be by far the easiest car to find and negotiate on. at one time they seemed to be the big draw, but for some reason it appears to be the model that has fallen the most. i have had the opportunity to buy several very nice restored 300 hp cars at 40k. it was kind of the flavor of the month in the mid 2005-07 range and there are quite a few nice cars out there for sale.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:10 AM
captain cook
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a difference of opinion ( on this forum ) on what the c-1 's are worth. Those that have one, know what they are worth ...those that want one, imagine what they are worth...
The C-1's are a little like Gold..scarce...Don't believe for a moment that they are going down in value...I have been watching the market for the last twenty years and it just ain't so...
$25K.... if it is all there , would be a good price....
Old 07-26-2011, 11:35 PM
VettePro67
Racer

Originally Posted by captain cook
There is a difference of opinion ( on this forum ) on what the c-1 's are worth. Those that have one, know what they are worth ...those that want one, imagine what they are worth...
The C-1's are a little like Gold..scarce...Don't believe for a moment that they are going down in value...I have been watching the market for the last twenty years and it just ain't so...
$25K.... if it is all there , would be a good price....
If anyone has Keith Martin's 2011 Edition of the "Corvette Market", please look on page 117 where Keith says to sell the C1 cars. As to why he feels this way, Keith states "Classic Corvette buyers are aging, which makes the pool of potential buyers smaller. Further, younger collectors seem to be drawn to the dramatic lines (and increased creature comforts) of the 1963-67 Sting Rays". I think I'll take the opinion of an expert.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:31 AM
captain cook
Racer

The market for the C-! Corvette is not defined by any aging group. It is defined by the person that has the desire and money to buy one.
I am actually seeing the price of the C-2 dropping a bit. Looks like those younger buyers are going to get some good deals.
Flawed logic yields flawed answers..Keith who?
Old 07-27-2011, 08:26 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,558 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frank C123
If anyone has Keith Martin's 2011 Edition of the "Corvette Market", please look on page 117 where Keith says to sell the C1 cars. As to why he feels this way, Keith states "Classic Corvette buyers are aging, which makes the pool of potential buyers smaller. Further, younger collectors seem to be drawn to the dramatic lines (and increased creature comforts) of the 1963-67 Sting Rays". I think I'll take the opinion of an expert.
So what if Keith Martin advises that I should sell my solid axle. What if I happen to enjoy it? I don't agree with his assessment even though he is an "expert". The notion that market trends should dictate whether I buy or sell is nonsense. Enjoyment of the car should be the primary focus.

Also I think any decent driver quality 62 is worth more than $25,000.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:14 AM
VettePro67
Racer

Originally Posted by captain cook
The market for the C-! Corvette is not defined by any aging group. It is defined by the person that has the desire and money to buy one.
I am actually seeing the price of the C-2 dropping a bit. Looks like those younger buyers are going to get some good deals.
Flawed logic yields flawed answers..Keith who?
This is who Keith Martin is:

http://www.corvettemarket.com/about/bios.php

If you think he has flawed logic, please contact him directly.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:21 AM
VettePro67
Racer

Originally Posted by capevettes
So what if Keith Martin advises that I should sell my solid axle. What if I happen to enjoy it? I don't agree with his assessment even though he is an "expert". The notion that market trends should dictate whether I buy or sell is nonsense. Enjoyment of the car should be the primary focus.

Also I think any decent driver quality 62 is worth more than $25,000.
I think that's great that you enjoy your car and you should not sell it if you want to continue to enjoy it. Keith is not telling you to sell your car. In his expert opinion he is saying that your car will be worth less money in the future than it is today. If enjoyment is your goal and you don't care what it's worth in the future that's great. I recently purchased a C2 and I don't care where prices are heading on C2's since all I want to do is enjoy it.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:18 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank C123
This is who Keith Martin is:

http://www.corvettemarket.com/about/bios.php

If you think he has flawed logic, please contact him directly.
Keith Martin has made a living these days selling the brand value of his name and has put together some interesting publications with Sports Car Market, Corvette Market and the various guides his company puts out.

However, his general commentary is an opinion based on the aging of the population and is simply an opinion. He may be an "expert" but I don't know that I would take his word as gospel, especially given that his expertise (if it exists) is in the general collector car market. If I had to take someone's opinion, I'd probably deal with someone who is very familiar specifically with Corvettes, their buyers and sellers, and the ongoing Corvette market.

The magazine, Corvette Market, reports results of auctions around the planet and has a few articles. It does not however, display any particular insight to Corvettes specifically and how the market is playing out.

That said, my "opinion" is that I would not sell a good C1 at this point in time. KM may be right in the long run, but the decision to sell now for his reasons sounds desperate to me, and thats not a good formula for success.

I decided against selling my '58 last year at auction because the price was a few grand lower than I wanted, and I'm comfortable in waiting the market out a bit. I think most people with decent cars who aren't desperate will do the same.

Regarding the '62, I've always found that model to be a "love it or hate it" year. Some people prefer the single headlight of the 56-7. Some people (I think more overall) prefer the round tailed, quad light, toothy grill and contrasting cove of the 58-60.

And I think a smaller group lovelovelove the refined look of the '62 with no cove, clean grille and soon-to-be- Sting Ray rear fascia. I also think there as many people who dont like that year for the same reason.

The thing I like best about the '62 is the inclusion of a VIN derivative that actually makes it possible for the car to be "numbers matching" unlike early cars.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:41 PM
don356
Intermediate

Look, you can argue about the value of cars now versus 4 or 5 years ago, and there will be examples each way. However, i think on many models including non corvettes they are down at least 15%. It is much like the housing market, although car owners will argue that it is not as bad. The reason they will make that argument is that homes carry secured loans and there are a lot of public liquidations/foreclosures as such. It involves bigger dollars and more public disclosure. However, what you will also find with homes, as you will particularly with collector cars, is there are a boat load, and i mean big boat load, of cars that have been advertised and have never sold. The reason being there real demand is not there(for both economic and demographic reasons), and ultimately it will take either another perceived boom(loose money) or owners bringing down their prices to move them. So folks can hold onto that notion that it's cyclical(houses or cars), but ultimately when you have to sell, it's down to one buyer and one sellor. Otherwise, you can pass it on to your next of kin, and go to the grave(and maybe be buried in it) believing that they will continue to appreciate.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:55 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

It's worth what you think it is and weather you "wont" it. That's the best advice you will get , How can any one tell you what to do not seeing it.To some one it may be worth 10k as is and restored 100K , but it's your decision not others. I read this every day people asking the same thing
Old 07-27-2011, 06:45 PM
VettePro67
Racer

Originally Posted by don356
Look, you can argue about the value of cars now versus 4 or 5 years ago, and there will be examples each way. However, i think on many models including non corvettes they are down at least 15%. It is much like the housing market, although car owners will argue that it is not as bad. The reason they will make that argument is that homes carry secured loans and there are a lot of public liquidations/foreclosures as such. It involves bigger dollars and more public disclosure. However, what you will also find with homes, as you will particularly with collector cars, is there are a boat load, and i mean big boat load, of cars that have been advertised and have never sold. The reason being there real demand is not there(for both economic and demographic reasons), and ultimately it will take either another perceived boom(loose money) or owners bringing down their prices to move them. So folks can hold onto that notion that it's cyclical(houses or cars), but ultimately when you have to sell, it's down to one buyer and one sellor. Otherwise, you can pass it on to your next of kin, and go to the grave(and maybe be buried in it) believing that they will continue to appreciate.
Well said Don! Buyers can afford to be very picky about what they will buy. There is an astonishing amount of Corvettes for sale and personally, I would ONLY buy original factory motor cars WITH documentation. They are the cars that will have the best chance of appreciation as you drive and enjoy them.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:58 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
It's worth what you think it is and weather you "wont" it. That's the best advice you will get , How can any one tell you what to do not seeing it.To some one it may be worth 10k as is and restored 100K , but it's your decision not others. I read this every day people asking the same thing
I know you've posted this a couple times (are you saying "want" it?) but I'm sorry, it's not worth what you think it is. Someone is free to pay too much for something if they choose, but paying $50k for a $25k car doesnt make it worth $50k.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:12 AM
Woodie
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I think really GOOD cars will always have their value plus or minus 10% But less than perfect and rare cars can drop 50% in a tight market like today. The average Joe doesn't have as much spendable income for toys.
The guys with bucks either don't want driver cars or they are going only buy if it's a smokin' deal. So it's making it hard for those driver cars to even sell. I know there's exceptions to this. But I see dealers advertising mid years way below what individuals want. Tells you something.
My self at this time I wouldn't want to invest $25,000 in a Non matching numbers motor car needing restoration. Then again I'm not buying anything anymore, just selling all mine.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:54 PM
captain cook
Racer

I think I understand all of the chatter...the democrats think they are worth alot and the republicans think they are worth a little? Or do I have that backwards? LOL

Get notified of new replies

To Whats a 1962 Corvette worth?

Quick Reply: Whats a 1962 Corvette worth?