Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

Help with valuing 1964 Corvette Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 12:11 PM
bobbulis
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with valuing 1964 Corvette Roadster

I have a matching number 1964 Corvette that has been sitting in my garage since 1978. My intention was to do a body of resto at some point but am now thinking of selling it. The 327/300 engine was tired when I put it away 34 years ago (pushing oil/valve guides) and I'm sure it currently does not run. It is black with red interia and also have hard top. Frame is in excellent condition with no major rust other than normal light surface rust. A "corvette guy'' told me it was worth about $25,000 in it's current condition. Can a non-operating restorabel 64 be worth $25K?

Last edited by bobbulis; 08-21-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention fram condition
Old 08-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

I would sell it to that Corvette guy for 25k. Its impossible to tell without pics. Matching numbers help, tops sit in the garage or basement and collect dust.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Dannoman
Racer

Hi Bob,

Best bet would be to post some pictures here on the forum to get an idea of what your car might be worth. If you need help posting your pics, feel free to email a few to me and I can help.

dannoman10162003 at yahoo dot com

Danno
Old 08-21-2011, 12:56 PM
bobbulis
Intermediate

Thank you Danno....I will take some pictures and post
Old 08-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I may be interested in your car as I am leaning towards buying a C2

Rick
Old 08-21-2011, 03:37 PM
57 Kevin
Intermediate

Bob, PM sent.....Kevin
Old 08-21-2011, 05:40 PM
bobbulis
Intermediate

Here are some pictures...

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...0Eas3LFo3YtHGA
Old 08-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Looks like a nice project for someone. Good starting point
Old 08-21-2011, 06:52 PM
VettePro67
Racer

Originally Posted by bobbulis
Bob...If that was my car and somebody offered me $25k, I would take the money and RUN! Would not bother wasting time responding to the PM's on this board, since they will go nowhere. I would find the guy who wants to pay $25k and sell it!
Old 08-21-2011, 07:05 PM
bobbulis
Intermediate

Thanks for your comments Frank. I haven't had any offers because it's not yet officialy for sale. Someone told me it was woth 25K, but that is why I am here to get a feel for what it is really worth. I am torn between selling it and restoring it.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:47 PM
MrTrim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 171 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Bob,

This looks like a good staring point for someone to get into an inexpensive C2 project. I guess the real question for you is, are you going to restore the car because you love it , and the memories it has too keep, or are you thinking about restoring it to get more $$$ when you do sell . If the answer is the latter, I hope you know what you may be getting into. Unless you can do all the work your self (and I mean "all") the cost to restore this car will become more that it's current value when finnished. If you just want to just get it going again, and enjoy driving it, then maybe you should keep it and do so. I know it's a tough decision, but unless you have restored a vintage Corvette before the costs can be mind boggling. (like in this case 30 to 50K) I'm sure when you bought this car the cost of restoring it was not nearly as much $$$ as it is today. As far as a true value "as is", it's worth whatever both parties are willing to agree to. Just some food for thought in your decision. Enjoy in whatever you decide.

Chris

Last edited by MrTrim; 08-21-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Dannoman
Racer

Just curious here....did the 'Corvette guy' actually see the car, or did he just rattle it off matter of factly? As the old saying goes...a picture is worth a thousand words. As others have posted, if it has good bones it has the potential to be a nice project for someone. As an investment....probably not so much. If you don't have an interest in doing the work yourself, I'd go back to the Corvette guy and tell him you're ready to sell it for what he thinks it is worth.

Best of luck to you!

Danno
Old 08-21-2011, 08:11 PM
bobbulis
Intermediate

Thanks Chris.....I fully understand everything you said. That's exactly the issue, and why I am torn. I trully do love this car and if I do restore it, it will never be sold (I'll pass it on to my son). The issue is that my father instilled in me that "if you're going to do something, do it right, or don't do it at all"....So if I do it, it will be done right. I just don't know if I have the time it will take or the patience. If I sell it, I can guarantee there will be a tear or two shed as it leaves the driveway.

Bob
Old 08-21-2011, 08:52 PM
CoupeKeeper
Racer

I'm not seeing 25K in this market, over the past several months I've seen running cars go from mid to upper twentys and real nice drivers for low thirtys. The restoration costs plus purchase price of 25K seems high to me. I'm thinking start around 22K and work from there, everyone has different opinions on what it's worth - when cash speaks it has merit.

Good luck
Steve
Old 08-21-2011, 10:31 PM
VettePro67
Racer

Originally Posted by MrTrim
Bob,

This looks like a good staring point for someone to get into an inexpensive C2 project. I guess the real question for you is, are you going to restore the car because you love it , and the memories it has too keep, or are you thinking about restoring it to get more $$$ when you do sell . If the answer is the latter, I hope you know what you may be getting into. Unless you can do all the work your self (and I mean "all") the cost to restore this car will become more that it's current value when finnished. If you just want to just get it going again, and enjoy driving it, then maybe you should keep it and do so. I know it's a tough decision, but unless you have restored a vintage Corvette before the costs can be mind boggling. (like in this case 30 to 50K) I'm sure when you bought this car the cost of restoring it was not nearly as much $$$ as it is today. As far as a true value "as is", it's worth whatever both parties are willing to agree to. Just some food for thought in your decision. Enjoy in whatever you decide.

Chris
Excellent analysis
Old 08-22-2011, 06:59 PM
bobbulis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CoupeKeeper
I'm not seeing 25K in this market, over the past several months I've seen running cars go from mid to upper twentys and real nice drivers for low thirtys. The restoration costs plus purchase price of 25K seems high to me. I'm thinking start around 22K and work from there, everyone has different opinions on what it's worth - when cash speaks it has merit.

Good luck
Steve
Thanks for the input Steve....Your comments are very helpful.

Bob
Old 08-23-2011, 10:11 AM
DJordan442
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob - I just sent you a PM. Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Help with valuing 1964 Corvette Roadster

Old 08-25-2011, 02:29 AM
PhilaScott
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts

Feels like $15 to $17 in that condition.
Needs frame off.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:27 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilaScott
Feels like $15 to $17 in that condition.
Needs frame off.
That's sort of where I am on this one as well without closer inspection. Again this is only my opinion after looking for the past couple of years. I also know just how expensive resto's can be on these cars as a friend of mine specializes in this. For the person that has all the tools at home and experience he could pay more but for many of us that have to farm out some of the work it gets really expensive.
As a side do you guys find the interior components that you buy from the catalog suppliers actually fit? Those of us who have done resto on C3's are very frustrated to say the least.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:41 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see a lot of surface rust. I think the value will depend completely on how rusted the frame is, and how rusted the birdcage is.

Quick Reply: Help with valuing 1964 Corvette Roadster