Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

Scam alert

Old 12-15-2013, 10:33 AM
oldsmobilia
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scam alert

I visited the Vette Hound web site and there was a white 63 Vette for sale ad number 10028. The seller claims an asking price of 25K. I received a few emails from him with the phony no time to use trying to sell it, wanting to do a Amazon deal so both seller and buyer are protected, wanting my phone number, and generally just trying to come across as a sincere seller. He sent me a VIN number and a more extensive photo shoot of the car.
The Amazon deal he was proposing was almost identical to the real Amazon web site except that the url he sent was slightly different to the real Amazon payments site. A further clue to something askew was his suggesting he would send the car for an inspection period before closing the deal.
I forwarded the information to Amazon who promptly emailed me back verifying he was a phoney.
I then typed in a search for Amazon car scams and found a few that were almost verbatim to how this fellow tried to play out his scam.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Vettehound is 95% scams but if you thought you were getting a 63 split for 25k you might be able to be scammed. If its to good to be true, it is.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:03 AM
oldsmobilia
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya bowtye. The ad was pretty vague and while the car looked not bad at all in the picture, I was thinking at first that there may be some repairs needed that a fellow could handle but at least get in on buying one of these. The first red light came on when in a later email, the seller claimed the car was "perfect" Later emails just proved the point. But thanks for the heads up anyway. It really is unfortunate that the web allows this kind of thing to go on.

Get notified of new replies

To Scam alert

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scam alert