Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

WTB 64-67 Small Block Driver Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 02:15 PM
BK58
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB 64-67 Small Block Driver Coupe

Greetings @ all from Munich!

As I mentioned in my "new member" thread I have been looking for a good C2 driver for a while now. The car I'm looking for will be used as a real daily with lots of kilometers in city - and Autobahn traffic.
The problem I ran into during my search so far is that there are few quality cars in Europe while in the US they tend to be more and more of the high $$, MN and ultra-original or restored variety which would be a shame to subject to daily driving and the upgrades it would require.

So here's my wish list:

- must NOT necessarily be MN !
- must be a small block ( period correct NOM / crate engine is fine ) for reasons of fuel consumption etc. My main goal is to cruise comfortably so I'm not looking for maximum performance.
- manual / automatic both OK, if already changed to a 5 speed manual / 4 speed auto even better ( need to lower those rpms for relaxed Autobahn driving, remember cruising speed is around 85-90 mph , below that you're a moving obstacle )
- must be technically sound with NO rust issues and pleasing to the eye but will not have to win ribbons, awards etc.

I plan to upgrade the brakes / suspension / steering, add headrests and 3-point seat belts as well as AC so if any of that has already been taken care of it’s a plus.

Now for hard part, color.
I would REALLY love the car to be Sunfire or Goodwood Yellow, Saddle Tan or Mossport Green... Knowing how hard it will be to find a perfect fit to my whole list I'm open to suggestions. But let's say black would be a hard sell because I love to drive but hate to clean.

Now some may think "with all these modifications why is he not buying a restomod?" Simply because it's a huge problem to get them street legal and registered as a historic car in Germany. And only historic cars get a break on our outrageously high taxes for cars w/ big-assed engines ...

So if you have a car to offer or know someone who does let me know!
Thanks in advance and if I've overlooked something please point it out to me.

Boris

Last edited by BK58; 03-27-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:19 PM
garyguinn
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Default 65 coupe

I have a 65 coupe
383/4spd/vintage air
big block hood, all new suspension
marina blue/dark blue strip with/ black interior..
car runs great and looks great..

Car is in Oklahoma
$49,000
clean title in my name, both vin and trim tag in place

Gary

Old 03-27-2014, 03:32 PM
BK58
Intermediate

Hi Gary and thanks for yr quick reply and offer.
Great looking car but I want / need it to have a stock body ( yours has flared fenders and a modified rear ) because the German TÜV can a hellish stickler for details when it comes to this kind of alterations.
Greets
Boris
Old 06-05-2014, 09:26 AM
BK58
Intermediate

Pushing this up also because I'm now also considering a project.
After doing the math on 2 very nice and original cars I think that taking over someone's unfinished project would make more sense.
Let me elucidate: To get the car to the point where it can be driven daily in a major city and also at Autobahn speeds I have to replace and / or modify so much that doing it from scratch makes more sense.
So if you have an unfinished car sitting around and want to get rid of it drop me a line.
Boris
Ps.: Also wanted to thank all the people who offered their cars, help and advice up to now!
Old 08-24-2014, 12:09 PM
BK58
Intermediate

Default Success!

Car has been found, nice '65 auto coupe, a solid basis for what I have in mind.
Will undergo body-off restauration / modification in the winter.
Thanks again for everybody who helped along the way!
Pics will follow when the car is ready for die deutsche Autobahn!
Greets,
Boris
Old 12-21-2014, 08:40 AM
BK58
Intermediate

Default The Ray has landed....

...and the resto has begun! Hopefully finished when ze Fruehling comes around!
Greets,
B
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2014, 07:58 PM
Nicola
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BK58
Greetings @ all from Munich!

As I mentioned in my "new member" thread I have been looking for a good C2 driver for a while now. The car I'm looking for will be used as a real daily with lots of kilometers in city - and Autobahn traffic.
The problem I ran into during my search so far is that there are few quality cars in Europe while in the US they tend to be more and more of the high $$, MN and ultra-original or restored variety which would be a shame to subject to daily driving and the upgrades it would require.

So here's my wish list:

- must NOT necessarily be MN !
- must be a small block ( period correct NOM / crate engine is fine ) for reasons of fuel consumption etc. My main goal is to cruise comfortably so I'm not looking for maximum performance.
- manual / automatic both OK, if already changed to a 5 speed manual / 4 speed auto even better ( need to lower those rpms for relaxed Autobahn driving, remember cruising speed is around 85-90 mph , below that you're a moving obstacle )
- must be technically sound with NO rust issues and pleasing to the eye but will not have to win ribbons, awards etc.

I plan to upgrade the brakes / suspension / steering, add headrests and 3-point seat belts as well as AC so if any of that has already been taken care of it’s a plus.

Now for hard part, color.
I would REALLY love the car to be Sunfire or Goodwood Yellow, Saddle Tan or Mossport Green... Knowing how hard it will be to find a perfect fit to my whole list I'm open to suggestions. But let's say black would be a hard sell because I love to drive but hate to clean.

Now some may think "with all these modifications why is he not buying a restomod?" Simply because it's a huge problem to get them street legal and registered as a historic car in Germany. And only historic cars get a break on our outrageously high taxes for cars w/ big-assed engines ...

So if you have a car to offer or know someone who does let me know!
Thanks in advance and if I've overlooked something please point it out to me.

Boris
I could not even imagine driving a stock C2 at average 90 mpg EVERYDAY.
Good luck with restomoding LOL
Old 12-23-2014, 12:59 PM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

...and the resto has begun! Hopefully finished when ze Fruehling comes around!
Greets,
B
Good luck with your car!
Old 02-15-2015, 02:53 AM
BK58
Intermediate

Default Work in Progress

Still cold but spring is around the corner
Attached Images    
Old 02-15-2015, 07:53 AM
vwtdi
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Still cold but spring is around the corner
Looks like a screamer, nice work!
Old 02-15-2015, 03:32 PM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Nice work

Looks real nice so far. If the cleanliness of your shop is any indication of your workmanship, and it looks like it is, your car will be a super driver. I see lots of photos of cars in shops, yours is one of the cleanest I have seen.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:02 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default Corvette

Boris, looks like excellent work I agree. I will be in Munich in July, maybe I can see it in person?
Boyan
Old 02-17-2015, 08:56 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I am about 1.5 hours north of Munich... near Ansbach.

I have a 67 Convertible, and a buddy of mine has a 66 Coupe.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:58 AM
BK58
Intermediate

The wheels odyssee or Why is everthing made in China nowadays...
I had started a thread some time ago looking for nice classic 15' wheels for my very mild restomod. The search was a drag from A to Z. Most aftermarket wheels are not street legal in Germany or are so badly made that you need a couple of pounds of balancing wheights to keep your fillings in place at Autobahn speeds.
And then 90+ % of all aftermarket wheels are made in the PRC even by companies which such generic names as AMERICAN!! Racing. Globalisation sometimes pisses me off.
Anyway, read thru some of the relevant wheel threads in this forum ( thanks again you good people! ) and found a great place which sold me a nice set of 67 bolt-ons for a great price with superfast and totally hassle free shipping.
(They are also made in china but what can you do...)
Yes I know they are not the right year for a 65 but then I have changed so much on this car that it's lightyears away from NCRS judging anyway.
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2015, 07:09 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Glad you found some wheels!

I have been looking myself to no avail... hoping to get some vintage wheels, but 15x6 3.5" Back spacing in chevy pattern is hard to come by...

Ugghhhh.....
Old 03-15-2015, 07:31 AM
BK58
Intermediate

Thanks!
Was looking into vintage wheels myself ( actually had an offer ) but the price for a set of original KHs has left for galaxies unknown .
Makes sense if you're looking for a Top Flite or Bloomington Gold Award but on my car it would be a waste.
B.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:07 PM
nelson007
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Lighting

Hallo Boris,
I live in Augsburg part of the year. I am bringing my 2012 ZR1 over this year. I changed the backup light lens
to Euro style. I also have a 20w fog in the rear, I did not change my front head lights except for the marker lights.
Do you have to change the lighting on your C2 or anything else in order to pass inspection?
I wanted to bring my 67 427/400 A/C but the price of gas would kill me.
Are you have problems getting parts?
Thanks,
Nelson007

Get notified of new replies

To WTB 64-67 Small Block Driver Coupe

Old 03-16-2015, 03:35 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

I am probably no help as I get my parts via state-side vendors through the military mail/APO. You can find stuff here... but sometimes, even little stuff like 5/16" nuts can drive you crazy since we are at ground zero of metric land.

We used to have a base in Augsburg... they close the best ones first it seems.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:07 PM
BK58
Intermediate

Default Conversion to EU Specs

Hello Nelson,
check out this thread
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=145093
maybe this will help.
Ordering parts is not much of a problem only prices have gone way up ( thanks to our Greek friends and the EZB printing money like it's going out of style ).
I don't know how good your German is but even if you don't speak a word I suggest you check out the German corvette forum
www.corvetteforum.de
People are very helpful and you can ask your questions in English without problems.
Cheers,
Boris
Old 03-16-2015, 07:17 PM
nelson007
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I lived in Germany 1967 & 68, there were Americans everywhere, i think it's a lot nicer now. Are there many bases left in Germany? I lived in Hamburg most of the time which was the English sector.
Do you take your car to any of the car show there?
There is a Gm dealer near Augsburg that carried alot of American hardware.

Thanks,
Nelson007

QUOTE=Revfan;1589195810]I am probably no help as I get my parts via state-side vendors through the military mail/APO. You can find stuff here... but sometimes, even little stuff like 5/16" nuts can drive you crazy since we are at ground zero of metric land.

We used to have a base in Augsburg... they close the best ones first it seems.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: WTB 64-67 Small Block Driver Coupe