Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

'63 convertible resto-mod project for sale

Old 01-01-2015, 05:57 PM
ranger9812
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 26 Posts

Default '63 convertible resto-mod project for sale

As the title says, I have a '63 convertible resto-mod project that is stalled out due to a hectic work schedule and another '66 coupe project that is taking all of my spare time and the space in my workshop; so I've decided to float the '63 project out there to see if anyone is interested in picking it up. I'm not desperate for cash; so no low-ball offers, please. If you are someone who is capable of taking on a project like this, then you'll know what things cost and what is a fair price.

All total, I’ve put ~$55K into the car, parts, and materials, and I’m interested in offers close to that figure. The benefit for a buyer is that you don’t have to find all the parts, wait for the manufacturing & shipping lead times, etc. This project is "wrench-ready" for someone who has the time to complete the body work and take it across the finish line. I didn’t track my labor hours, but I expect I’m probably at around 150. At a typical shop rate of $50 per hour, that’s ~$7,500 worth of labor that I’m basically giving away here. The time I’ve spent researching and working out engineering can’t even be estimated. It's a roller; so transportation shouldn't be difficult.

A lot has been done, but there is still a ton of body work left to be completed before it’s ready for paint. Once I got it into primer, I planned to pull the body and send it off to the paint shop while I tore down the chassis to get everything powder-coated and pretty before reassembling it for real. I have a Bill of Materials for the major parts I know it still needs, and I’ve estimated that if I did all of the remaining work other than the final finish, it’s probably going to cost another $17-20K to complete, depending on whether you go stock or custom interior. When done, it will be a $100K+ car; so if you can do the work, you can come out well ahead on this one.

- SRIII tube-frame for C2 Corvette with Viper rear end (3.55:1 gears) and front & rear sway bars & links ($14,000)
- New CV axles from the Driveshaft Shop; custom built for this setup and rated for 1,200 HP ($1,800)
- C6 Corvette front & rear unequal-length A-arm suspension with new bushing kit ($1,500)
- QA1 single-adjustable shocks with Hypercoil springs ($1,200)
- C6 Z06 brake calipers, rotors & pads) ($2,000)
- C6 Z06 split-spoke wheels in polished finish ($700)
- New Nitto Invo tires (275/35ZR18 fronts; 325/30ZR19 rears) ($1,300)
- 2004 LS6 engine with ~40K miles, including accessories, cable actuated throttle body, ECM & harness ($4,500)
- New Stainless Works side exhaust headers for LS ($1,125)
- New Tremec TKO600 5-speed transmission with 2.97:1 1st gear and .64:1 overdrive, plus drive shaft. ($3,500)
- New LS flywheel, heavy-duty clutch, “621” aluminum bell-housing and complete manual clutch linkage ($1,000+)
- New-in-box Hydramax clutch actuator kit ($640)
- New-in-box Wilwood master cylinder and proportioning valve kit ($300)
- New-in-box Hydraboost brake assist kit with pre-fab’d lines ($800)
- 1963 Corvette convertible body with '67 stinger-style hood, complete and media blasted down to bare fiberglass, with VIN tag, trim tag, clear title, hard top (complete), all interior & exterior trim except for mirrors & emblems ($12,500) Also includes:
o Door windows, regulators & other hardware
o Vent window assemblies (both)
o Center console (all three pieces); these need to be polished but are in very good shape. (New repro going for close to $1,500 for this set)
o Gauge bezel
o Glove box door (rough shape)
o Door latches, strikers, linkages, etc.
o Brake & clutch pedal assembly
o Door panels (rough, but includes hockey sticks)
o Rear brake light assemblies (rough)
o Rough but restorable padded dashes for both sides
o Rear bumpers (need re-chrome); no front bumpers
o Other miscellaneous original ’63 parts
- Complete new headlight assemblies ($1,250)
- New windshield ($250)
- New (repro) front grill ($400)
- New gas door for a ’66 ($120)
- New GTS Customs rear fenders maintaining stock belt-line appearance but with 1.5” extra width to accommodate chassis/wheel/tire combo ($750)
- New front parking lamp panels bonded on but not yet finished ($380)
- Used C4 (‘84-87) rack & pinion steering unit ($200)
- Flaming River tilt/tele steering column plus U-joint & splined shaft to connect to rack & pinion unit ($850)
- New Rock Valley stainless steel baffled fuel tank with internal pump and sender (~$1,100)
- New - all braided fuel line, fittings, filter, etc. to run from tank to engine fuel rail (~$200)
- New front and rear parking brake cables; rear set is a Lokar aftermarket kit ($200)
- Excellent condition black leather C5 Z06 seats drilled to accept C3 seat racks (~$750 without tracks or $1,000 with tracks)
- Miscellaneous other parts, including multiple fiberglass panels, body reinforcements, shims, brackets, etc., (totaling about another $1,000)

Body work completed:
- Heater opening in firewall filled & shaved.
- Damaged dash repaired with all clock, radio & heater holes shaved; center dash is completely blank now.
- Front end completely disassembled and re-assembled due to original bond joints being dried out. New front parking lamp panels installed due to old ones being too far gone to save.
- Front fender vent panels modified to mimic C6 ZR1 look. Passenger side is nearly complete; driver side glassed in but needs finishing.
- Rear floor cut out and tubbed to clear SRIII frame; still needs some finishing, but the hard part is done.
- New rear exhaust panel for car with side pipes molded into the car (i.e. not removable).
- New driver-side hinge pillar cover installed.
- New passenger-side lock pillar cover installed.
- New passenger-side rear deck extension installed.
- GTS Customs rear fenders installed.
- Replacement passenger side door installed.
- Seam gap & mismatch worked and good from the doors back, including deck lid.
- #4 body mounts and reinforcements replaced with new.
- Hood seam gap & mismatch partially done; still need work on leading edge.

If someone is interested in doing a deal without the engine and transmission and some of the other brake & fuel system parts, I may have a use for them on my other project; so we can talk.

Thanks for your interest.

Last edited by ranger9812; 01-24-2015 at 01:39 PM. Reason: added photos
Old 01-02-2015, 08:50 AM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Shooting you a PM

Happy New Year!
Rich
Old 01-05-2015, 07:40 AM
0Corvettes by George
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts

What is your asking price?
G.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:32 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,318 Likes on 2,767 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger9812

All total, I’ve put ~$55K into the car, parts, and materials, and I’m interested in offers close to that figure. .
Originally Posted by 1960fi
What is your asking price?
G.
I considered the asking price of this ad to be $55k or best offer.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:57 PM
Snowbird1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any pictures?

As the title says, I have a '63 convertible resto-mod project that is stalled out due to a hectic work schedule and another '66 coupe project that is taking all of my spare time and the space in my workshop; so I've decided to float the '63 project out there to see if anyone is interested in picking it up. I'm not desperate for cash; so no low-ball offers, please. If you are someone who is capable of taking on a project like this, then you'll know what things cost and what is a fair price. I have a ton of pictures that I can send to anyone who wants to PM me with an email address. If I can get my Photobucket account working again, I'll try to get something posted in this ad.

All total, I’ve put ~$55K into the car, parts, and materials, and I’m interested in offers close to that figure. The benefit for a buyer is that you don’t have to find all the parts, wait for the manufacturing & shipping lead times, etc. This project is "wrench-ready" for someone who has the time to complete the body work and take it across the finish line. I didn’t track my labor hours, but I expect I’m probably at around 150. At a typical shop rate of $50 per hour, that’s ~$7,500 worth of labor that I’m basically giving away here. The time I’ve spent researching and working out engineering can’t even be estimated. It's a roller; so transportation shouldn't be difficult.

A lot has been done, but there is still a ton of body work left to be completed before it’s ready for paint. Once I got it into primer, I planned to pull the body and send it off to the paint shop while I tore down the chassis to get everything powder-coated and pretty before reassembling it for real. I have a Bill of Materials for the major parts I know it still needs, and I’ve estimated that if I did all of the remaining work other than the final finish, it’s probably going to cost another $17-20K to complete, depending on whether you go stock or custom interior. When done, it will be a $100K+ car; so if you can do the work, you can come out well ahead on this one.

- SRIII tube-frame for C2 Corvette with Viper rear end (3.55:1 gears) and front & rear sway bars & links ($14,000)
- New CV axles from the Driveshaft Shop; custom built for this setup and rated for 1,200 HP ($1,800)
- C6 Corvette front & rear unequal-length A-arm suspension with new bushing kit ($1,500)
- 2004 LS6 engine with ~40K miles, including accessories, cable actuated throttle body, ECM & harness ($4,500)
- New Tremec TKO600 5-speed transmission with 2.97:1 1st gear and .64:1 overdrive, plus drive shaft. ($3,500)
- New LS flywheel, heavy-duty clutch, “621” aluminum bell-housing and complete manual clutch linkage ($1,000+)
- 1963 Corvette convertible body with '67 stinger-style hood, complete and media blasted down to bare fiberglass, with VIN tag, trim tag, clear title, hard top (complete), all interior & exterior trim except for mirrors & emblems ($12,500) Also includes:
o Center console (all three pieces); these need to be polished but are in very good shape. (New repro going for close to $1,500 for this set)
o Gauge bezel
- New windshield ($250)
- New GTS Customs rear fenders maintaining stock belt-line appearance but with 1.5” extra width to accommodate chassis/wheel/tire combo ($750)
- Flaming River tilt/tele steering column plus U-joint & splined shaft to connect to rack & pinion unit ($850)
- New Rock Valley stainless steel baffled fuel tank with internal pump and sender (~$1,100)
- New - all braided fuel line, fittings, filter, etc. to run from tank to engine fuel rail (~$200)
- New front and rear parking brake cables; rear set is a Lokar aftermarket kit ($200)
- Excellent condition black leather C5 Z06 seats drilled to accept C3 seat racks (~$750 without tracks or $1,000 with tracks)
- Miscellaneous other parts, including multiple fiberglass panels, body reinforcements, shims, brackets, etc., (totaling about another $1,000)

Body work completed:
- Damaged dash repaired with all clock, radio & heater holes shaved; center dash is completely blank now.
- Front end completely disassembled and re-assembled due to original bond joints being dried out. New front parking lamp panels installed due to old ones being too far gone to save.
- Front fender vent panels modified to mimic C6 ZR1 look. Passenger side is nearly complete; driver side glassed in but needs finishing.
- Rear floor cut out and tubbed to clear SRIII frame; still needs some finishing, but the hard part is done.
- New rear exhaust panel for car with side pipes molded into the car (i.e. not removable).

If someone is interested in doing a deal without the engine and transmission and some of the other brake & fuel system parts, I may have a use for them on my other project; so we can talk.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:57 AM
ranger9812
Pro

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
I considered the asking price of this ad to be $55k or best offer.
Yes, that's what I intended. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:58 AM
ranger9812
Pro

Originally Posted by Snowbird1
Do you have any pictures?
Something change in Photobucket, and I can't find where to get the IMG links anymore. If someone can re-educate me, I'll get some posted.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:12 AM
haccpguy
54 Vette Rod
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just click on the picture in Photobucket and this should appear to the left of it.
Attached Images  

Last edited by haccpguy; 01-11-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:06 PM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Resto-Project

Hay Ranger, Is she still for sale?

Earl
Old 01-18-2015, 02:17 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,318 Likes on 2,767 Posts

Something change in Photobucket, and I can't find where to get the IMG links anymore. If someone can re-educate me, I'll get some posted.

In your Library, place your cursor over the "gear" icon in the top right corner... it will give you a drop down menu (see pic below).

Click on Share Links. Then click on the IMG link, the bottom one. It will say "copied." Paste into your post
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2015, 08:57 PM
ranger9812
Pro

Potential buyers I had been talking with have all dropped out; so the project is still available. No time to work on it; so it will probably be in the same condition you see in the pictures for the foreseeable future. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:23 PM
abadsvt
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Potential buyers I had been talking with have all dropped out; so the project is still available. No time to work on it; so it will probably be in the same condition you see in the pictures for the foreseeable future. Let me know if you're interested.
Beautiful project! Don't mean to hijack but was curious on what rear end you went with? Kind of looks like a viper dana rear end. Thanks and wish you luck selling!
Josh
Old 02-06-2015, 09:14 PM
ranger9812
Pro

Originally Posted by abadsvt23
Beautiful project! Don't mean to hijack but was curious on what rear end you went with? Kind of looks like a viper dana rear end. Thanks and wish you luck selling!
Josh
That's right. It's a Gen IV Viper differential with 3.55:1 gears.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:25 AM
Snowbird1
Intermediate

Hi: I am doing a Resto 64 as well and I like the way you did the vents in the front fenders. Can you tell me what you used to make the vents? thanks for your help.

As the title says, I have a '63 convertible resto-mod project that is stalled out due to a hectic work schedule and another '66 coupe project that is taking all of my spare time and the space in my workshop; so I've decided to float the '63 project out there to see if anyone is interested in picking it up. I'm not desperate for cash; so no low-ball offers, please. If you are someone who is capable of taking on a project like this, then you'll know what things cost and what is a fair price.

o Gauge bezel
- New windshield ($250)

Body work completed:

Old 03-13-2015, 12:57 PM
ranger9812
Pro

PM sent to snowbird1. Had a flurry of interest when I first posted but no one new lately. Project still available if anyone is interested.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:15 PM
Snowbird1
Intermediate

PM sent to snowbird1. Had a flurry of interest when I first posted but no one new lately. Project still available if anyone is interested.
I have started a project myself. I can only do one at a time. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:32 AM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice looking project a lot of work has been done, I too am interested in your fender vent modification any info would be appreciated. Good luck with the sale.

Get notified of new replies

To '63 convertible resto-mod project for sale

Old 03-28-2015, 10:47 AM
hawg4fun
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I am interested

where is she located
I would like to have a builder look over please
Kevin in Colo 720 987 6865
Thanks
Old 04-14-2015, 08:07 PM
ranger9812
Pro

ttt
Old 05-16-2015, 10:51 AM
ranger9812
Pro

TTT

Getting a lot of interest in the project minus drivetrain. Folks really want LS3 power, though I think there's a lot of under-estimation of the LS6. Anyway, I'm looking at another project car where I could use the engine, trans, fuel system, Hydroboost, master cylinder and seats that I've accumulated; so I'm very open to doing a deal without those things. If anyone is serious about buying the rest for $42.5K, let me know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '63 convertible resto-mod project for sale