Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

1966 SB Roadster Winnetka, CA - Beware Flaky E-Bay Seller

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 11:24 PM
C2 Fan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1966 SB Roadster Winnetka, CA - Beware Flaky E-Bay Seller

Recent listing on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221696565971?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Made appointment to go inspect the car today, set up a local, and well qualified inspector, Boyan, to meet up with me at seller's house at 1pm.
Seller, Nina, (eBay name: Dolci22) claimed that she the car was sold on eBay last year for $42K but the buyer could not complete the sale, and she kept the $500 deposit. Boyan was called out to inspect the car on a previous occasion, and when he arrived, the seller was not home and he could not see it. Seller told me when I made the appointment that I could have it for that price ($42K) if I liked the car.
Today, after a one-hour drive, I arrived about 15 minutes early, before the inspector, and the seller informs me that the bidding is up to $46K and that I would need to pay and additional $4K if I were interested in the car. Since I was already there, she allowed me to see about half the car under the cover for about one minute, noticed chips and cracks in the paint, not mentioned in the listing.
Inspector, Boyan, arrives on time and we are ready to inspect, she informs us that another buyer from San Jose is on the phone, and he has agreed to $49K (sight unseen) and we were not welcome to inspect the car and have a nice day. Big waste of time due to flaky seller. In case deal falls through with her San Jose buyer, beware of this seller in case you see a nassau blue 1966 C2 in Winnetka, CA.

Last edited by C2 Fan; 02-23-2015 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 02-24-2015, 10:05 AM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Looks like a nice driver but this is often the kind of crap you get from some ebay sellers. The seller stated the bid was at $49k which in my opinion would be way more than the car as presented would be worth. I think the seller was trying to avoid an inspection. I've had sellers get cold feet on me in the past when I said I was going to inspect their car. My advice is buy from a forum member.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:42 AM
C2 Fan
Intermediate

Default Good luck to next buyer

Originally Posted by blue67ragtop
Looks like a nice driver but this is often the kind of crap you get from some ebay sellers. The seller stated the bid was at $49k which in my opinion would be way more than the car as presented would be worth. I think the seller was trying to avoid an inspection. I've had sellers get cold feet on me in the past when I said I was going to inspect their car. My advice is buy from a forum member.
Exactly, that is why we walked away and wished the next buyer good luck. Chances are, under the scrutiny of inspection, we would have found many issues.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:23 PM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by blue67ragtop
This Forum is the best place to find a car. Members are for the most part honest, know what they have, and also know that they would be eaten alive by members if caught being less than upfront. I am looking for a car here. I look at ebay and other sites just to get an idea what is out there. NEVER buy sight unseen. There is a lot of cobbled cars out there. They are old, often hot-rodded etc. JMO
Patience. Patience. Patience. Members have often spent several years looking for the right car.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:00 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

Originally Posted by oldgold49er
This Forum is the best place to find a car. Members are for the most part honest, know what they have, and also know that they would be eaten alive by members if caught being less than upfront. I am looking for a car here. I look at ebay and other sites just to get an idea what is out there. NEVER buy sight unseen. There is a lot of cobbled cars out there. They are old, often hot-rodded etc. JMO
Patience. Patience. Patience. Members have often spent several years looking for the right car.
What is the value in paying an inflated price on a bidding war or the person with " all the knowledge " ? Most informed owners have the retail similar to the "BJ " auction examples.
I take the opposite road and like private party referrals / ads . Sure some goose chases. The road of life goes on with valuable information gained and interesting people. Most will share their life from buying , maintenance, to its time to move on. I have found a few who have no intention of selling but want to talk about their past association with the automobile. It pays to keep in contact. When sale day arrives you may get the call. Ask me how I know !

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 SB Roadster Winnetka, CA - Beware Flaky E-Bay Seller

Quick Reply: 1966 SB Roadster Winnetka, CA - Beware Flaky E-Bay Seller