Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

'66 coupe nearing completion

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 11:26 AM
ranger9812
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 26 Posts

Default '66 coupe nearing completion

I've been doing a '66 coupe since last October, and it's nearing completion; so I thought I would start floating it to see if there is any interest. This is not an NCRS, numbers car. I built it to be a very nice driver car to be enjoyed and not fretted over. Condition described below.

In it's current state, I'm asking $50K. By the time I finish it, the price will go up to $55K, but if you're handy and want to buy it as-is and finish it yourself, you can save a few bucks. I'll get some better pictures posted if the sun comes out sometime this weekend. Until then, these were taken in my garage on 24 April.

- Was theft recovery in 1982 and had a new VIN plate issued from State of Pennsylvania; everything is legit and title is good; the replacement VIN just puts a stain on the car from an originality perspective.
- New 2-stage Dark Bowling Green Metallic paint (2000-01 color) sprayed in late March; similar to a British Racing Green but darker; has not yet been color sanded & buffed.
- Brand new 1-piece front end, inner fenders, repro '67 stinger hood, rear fenders and tail-lamp panel
- Interior is a non-original tan color bought special by previous owner who started the project. Dash pads, door panels, seat covers and other misc. pieces are all covered in a leather-look vinyl; still installing, but all interior pieces, including carpet, are here.
- Engine is a 0010 350 short block dressed with the original top end and all accessories & shielding for an L79 327. Without looking at the block casting, you would never know it was not a 350HP 327. Has great oil pressure and runs nice & smooth. I've got the ignition timing set up correctly but haven't yet done any work with the carburetor. It's definitely running rich right now, but everything on the carb is working fine, so I'm sure it just needs be re-jetted and tuned a bit. I haven't pushed the engine under a load yet, but it sounds like it has a mild cam and makes good vacuum. Should make good power and be a fun driver.
- New DeWitts aluminum radiator.
- 4 speed Muncie with Hurst shifter and original-style handle; I believe it's just the standard M20 WR, but I need to go run the numbers to be sure; oil looks good, and the shifting is nice & smooth.
- 3.36:1 posi rear; oil looks good; side yoke end play is good; has a little pinion to ring gear play, but doesn't make any noise that I can detect; I haven't driven it enough yet to get it hot, but it can only get better as it warms up.
- Upgraded exhaust to new 2 1/2" Alan's stainless side pipes with new 2 1/2 cast iron manifolds. Sounds great, but make no mistake that it is LOUD. I have new fiberglass covers & moldings with plans to paint them either silver or just gloss black, but I haven't gotten to that point, yet.
- Suspension is basically stock configuration with 7-leaf (305 lb/in) steel rear spring, new HD offset trailing arms, rear sway bar added, new adjustable HD strut rods; not sure of the spring rate in front, but they seem stiff; rides and handles as you would expect from a 49 year old sports car, but that's part of the charm, right???
- Headlights are in and adjusted; brand new motors and rotator switch under dash and dimmer switch on the floor; halogen lamps putting out plenty of light; all good here.
- All new wire harnesses from front to rear; light, wiper & ignition switches new; clock & radio new; Gauges not new but all in excellent working order and cosmetic condition.
- New wiper motor, arms & blades.
- Bumpers (all 4) off being re-chromed; expected to be back mid-to-late May; all brackets & hardware on-hand.
- All front & rear window stainless trim is on-hand; needs to be cleaned up and polished, but no serious scratches requiring a professional; this is a DIY job.
-I haven't loaded the doors yet but have everything, including the vent windows with new regulators, main window regulators & glass and new weather-stripping & window felts. I still need to do some final adjustment on the doors before locking down the hinges, but the gaps are good, and they open & close very nicely. Door handles & mirrors are all new and shiny chrome.
- Brand new American Racing Torque Thrust M 17x7" wheels with anthracite painted centers and new Hankook Ventus V12 225 summer compound tires; fills wheel wells out nicely with no interference issues.
- Upgraded with Steeroids rack & pinion steering kit.
- Upgraded to '67 power brake setup with brand new vacuum assist unit, dual reservoir master cylinder and proportioning valve; brakes are bled and working great.
- Upgraded with Vintage Air a/c kit; everything installed but not yet charged; purge & charge typically runs ~$200.

I'm sure there are more details I'm forgetting, but I think that's enough for now.

Thanks for your interest.

Last edited by ranger9812; 04-24-2015 at 05:56 PM. Reason: miscellaneous
Old 06-21-2015, 09:15 AM
ranger9812
Pro

The '66 is close to complete with just a couple of little things to finish up with the radio & dash. AC is charged and blowing cold, and everything but the ammeter is working great. Here are some more current pictures. The paint still hasn't been cut & buffed yet, but it already looks great.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:26 AM
ranger9812
Pro

Ttt

Discovered last week that my cylinder pressures are sub-100psi; so the motor is going to need an overhaul. If someone wants the car in current state, we can talk about price adjustments. If I don't hear something pretty quickly, it will be too late, and I'll be swapping an LS6 and TKO600 into the car.

Engine and transmission that are in the car now are for sale under this thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-worth-tx.html

Last edited by ranger9812; 07-12-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:14 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Do the swap and keep it. Nice looking car

Get notified of new replies

To '66 coupe nearing completion

Quick Reply: '66 coupe nearing completion