C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Crate Motor RamJet hood clearance in a 62

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 08:26 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Default Crate Motor RamJet hood clearance in a 62

Does anyone know if there is enough hood clearance without any major modifications for a new crate motor RamJet (350) to fit in a 62 corvette?

Also, what are some suggestions on the available crate motors out there for my car? I plan on putting 355 gears with the original 10 bolt rearend. I also want to have a manual transmission. This car is not going to be complete original (disc brakes on back and front).

I was thinking of other motor's also:
ZZ4, FastBurn 385 or edelbrock performer. I am planning to make everything else original. Just wondering what other people have done.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:42 PM
vettes1st
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Whichever engine you decide on, hood clearance is an issue. That's the reason for the thin original air cleaner. You should search the archives, but my recollection of discussions here is that the ramjet 350 requires lowering slightly in the chassis.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:37 AM
61iwon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ZZ4 in a '61

I have a ZZ4 that I just completed in December 04 into my '61. There is a inch or so of clearance left after using the stock single 4 bbl air cleaner.

I have heard there is clearance problems when using the ram jet. I can't say for sure how much room is necessary. My mechanic recommended the ZZ4 over the ramjet, more power and torque. GMPP motor is way cheaper than Edelbrock motors. Check out "www.sdpc2000.com" for the zz4 motor and parts.

This thing has great smooth power delivery. I have a Keisler 5 speed and the low 1st gear is really nice, but cruisin at 60 mph the engine is only turning about 1800rpm.

There are some fitment problems to address but none too terrific, mostly a bolt in replacement and no fuel issues like when dealing with the fuel injected engine.

Send me a note and we can correspond if you like.

Dave
Old 02-14-2005, 06:40 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by james Hufford
Does anyone know if there is enough hood clearance without any major modifications for a new crate motor RamJet (350) to fit in a 62 corvette?

Also, what are some suggestions on the available crate motors out there for my car? I plan on putting 355 gears with the original 10 bolt rearend. I also want to have a manual transmission. This car is not going to be complete original (disc brakes on back and front).

ZZ4, FastBurn 385 or edelbrock performer. I am planning to make everything else original. Just wondering what other people have done.
FastBurn & ZZ4 are the same motor with different heads- The ZZ4 uses the classic SBC intake & valve covers while the FastBurn uses the new-style SBC intake & valve covers.
A friend bought a FastBurn, and he was really pizzed off that he couldn't use any of his old SBC parts on the upper end of the motor...

IMO, I'd use the ZZ4 with the 430 hp 'hot cam' kit. Best bang for the $$$-
PS
Arizona Speed & Marine makes a SBC Ramjet EFI unit with a side intake, like the old Rochester setup.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:10 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

This topic has been discussed numerous times. Search the archives for "ram jet". Here is a link to one of the threads.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...hlight=ram+jet
Old 02-14-2005, 11:55 AM
Russ T Gate
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put a injected 502 in my 67 and had to raise the hood 1-1/2" but the real problem is that the air cleaner comes off the front of the plenum and things get real tight up there. I love the injection and think it would look great in your 62 but you will need to do a little more work with injection than with a carbureted motor. You need a larger fuel line and a return line, an electric fuel pump, wiring for the computer, and so on.
Hope I haven't scared you off.
Good luck with your project.
Russ
Old 02-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Frapps
Pro

James,

Not sure how this affects you but I am doing the same research for my 64. I have determined that the very front of the ram jet will strike the hood doubler but only by about a quarter inch. Since my car is as far from numbers matching as you can get I have no problem notching the doubler. Of course with this small amount you may be able to fab your own engine mounts and lower the engine by a quarter inch. Or you may even be able to shave a little off the ram jet since the part that hits is only about a half inch wide. Or you could do a combination of these.

Either way I am positive this is the motor for me. My only hangup with the Ramjet is that it comes from GM with cast iron heads. I'm considering buying the ZZ383/425 and a Ramjet seperately.

HTH, Frapps
Old 02-14-2005, 04:37 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to see what other people have done. I was thinking of either going with a fastburn 385, zz4 or a ramjet. I did not know the ramjet only came with cast iron heads so I might have to go with a zz4 or buy the ramjet and convert the heads.

Thanks again. I need to find out since I am going to purchase the motor while I am away from the car.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:30 AM
Frapps
Pro

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to see what other people have done. I was thinking of either going with a fastburn 385, zz4 or a ramjet. I did not know the ramjet only came with cast iron heads so I might have to go with a zz4 or buy the ramjet and convert the heads.

Thanks again. I need to find out since I am going to purchase the motor while I am away from the car.

The Ramjet does come with cast heads but it also has the roller cam which is a big factor for me. I had momentarily forgotten that I wanted this car to "look" as stock as I can make it but have all the latest comforts. Ergo, I am going to use the Ramjet with the original ram horn exhaust and paint the motor semi-correctly. The cast heads are going to be just fine for me. Plus I won't have to reset the ECU to run the bigger heads. My $.02.

Frapps

Last edited by Frapps; 02-15-2005 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:50 AM
61iwon
Racer

Default Later motor in a C1

James, I had originally considered a '94- 96 LT1 motor for my '61. These are a great motor and it looks to me like a shorter height. Seen them in some pictures and it appears that way to me.

I do not know the measurements, someone could chime in here. Sometimes you can pick up low mileage versions of these engines complete, for much less than a new crate motor, but require other modifications, wiring harness, fuel pump, motor mounts?, etc.

Just my 2 cents.
Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Crate Motor RamJet hood clearance in a 62

Quick Reply: Crate Motor RamJet hood clearance in a 62