C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Documented history

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 01:07 PM
lawcpi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Documented history

I have virtually no historical documentation on my 67. I wonder if I am in the minority of owners of these cars with very little documentation, or whether the big deal about having docs is that it is so rare. I think back to the cars I have bought and sold that I did not pass a bunch of paperwork on to the next owner. My first car was a 69 big block Mach I that was sold without sharing any pertinent paperwork with the new owner, because no one knew it would be of value 25 years later. I think it must be so rare that anyone had the foresight to include docs with each buy and sell transaction these cars have seen over the years. I was hoping for others to offer some thoughts, please.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:17 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good question.

I also wonder what the value of letters from former owners is?

I mean, kind of like letters of recommendation... they could say just about anything you'd want them to say.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

I got nothing with mine, although when I picked it up in WV, met all the original owners (I'm #4). Seem the car stayed in the same town the entire time. I have a verbal history, but that's it.

Does it matter to me? No. This is a driver for me. If I was showing/judging the car, the documentation may serve to back up claims of originality, etc...
Old 03-18-2005, 01:34 PM
pchalpin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting question.

I too have a 67 with no historical paperwork. But, what I do have are a Title and a Registration with MY name on them. The way I look at it, that makes my car priceless!!!! Hope the next owner enjoys it half as much I do. Have a great weekend.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Blkblt
Drifting

Hey, Larry. My guess is that good documentation is pretty rare across the board. Most have zilch, some have a little, and only a very few have the full monte.

I had none at all when I picked up my '66 BB five years or so ago. I bought it in Arizona from a private broker who sold it for a guy in Green Bay.... Fortunately, when I contacted the Wisconsin DMV, they gave me a large stack of everything they had on the car since it came into Wisconsin in the late 80's...three owners, letters, titles, correspondance, etc. WOW!!!....not expected at all in this day and age!! I contacted all the Wisconsin owners (and got its history from '87-my purchase - no reply from one) and found that the car had been in New Mexico in the 1980s. I was able to trace it to 1981, but hit the deadend there. Finally, I located the guy who had it in NM (now in Las Vegas, NV), but he wasn't interested in responding or talking, so that was the end of my line. Guess I'm one of those guys with a little information, anyway.

Jeff
Old 03-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Donn 66
Pro

CI3 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In III Veteran

I guess I'm lucky then!! I have the original window sticker, and bill of sale, original finance papers (36 payments of $58.60) and owners manual with plate. Its hard to believe anybody would keep all those papers, I know I never did.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:13 PM
gyoder
Advanced

I wanted an original C2 BB convertible. But after all the bad stories on the forum and elsewhere regarding false claims of numbers matching, original, etc. that seems to occur these days, I was no trusting ofanything not documented. I was very lucky to find a 66 427/390 black/saddle vert with all the paperwork (hand written order form, invoice, shipping documents, window sticker, protecto plate, owners chevy plastic card, picture of owner picking up car, etc.). in good condition. And the numbers of the drivetrain all match up and were verified by an ex NCRS judge. The car was purchased in Lincoln Nebraska and the Chevrolet dealer is still in business!

It is an original sidepipe car with original KH KO's, and power windows. The paperwork just makes proving these options as well as the motor, etc.that much easier. I understand there are ways to make a non sidepipe car appear original to all but the best Corvette experts. So as the prices climb, so does the deception I guess.

I guess the next thing that will be done, or maybe already is being done, is to forge the paperwork, age it and sell cars with that paperwork and restamped drivetrains!
Old 03-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

I did get the original owner's manual and a half dozen previous registration slips with names and addresses of the two previous owners before me.

I never tried to contact any of those people because I was afraid they'd consider it an invasion of their privacy.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Donn 66

I guess I'm lucky then!! I have the original window sticker, and bill of sale, original finance papers (36 payments of $58.60) and owners manual with plate. Its hard to believe anybody would keep all those papers, I know I never did.
As an aside, since 1985 I always save the important things and pass them along when I sell my cars.

The window stickers and all maintenance records.

I usually keep dealer brochures and give them to the next owner as well.

Sometimes magazine articles and even the promotional video tapes and fluff the manufacturers send out. I've got a nice stack of stuff for my '97 Red Mustang convertible.

I don't give them the financial contract stuff due to identity theft issues - one just never knows.

Most people don't seem interested but I still tell them to keep it all and pass it along.

*** Also, I've grown to appreciate appropriate repair parts and nowadays I always get dealer parts to fix my cars rather than PepBoys crap. It costs me a bit more but I'm happier and some collector 30 years from now might appreciate it. ***
Old 03-18-2005, 03:31 PM
lawcpi
Instructor

Originally Posted by pchalpin
I too have a 67 with no historical paperwork. But, what I do have are a Title and a Registration with MY name on them. The way I look at it, that makes my car priceless!!!!
I've come to take this same attitude. I admire the effort Jeff and many others have gone to, to get history on their cars. I would guess most of us have tried tracking down prior owners, some hitting the mother lode, and others ending at a dead end quickly (like me). Sometimes when I sit in the pilot seat of the 67, I think "it sure would be cool if this car could talk". Then again, I might not want to know

Last edited by lawcpi; 03-18-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:34 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,884 Likes on 792 Posts

I am lucky as well....have copies of all the old titles of the '65's five previous owners. They were obtained by the 5th owner (who restored the car) and included when he sold it. Also have the original first owner's loan paperwork with the dealers name. Tracked down the first owner and they still had pics which they sent me. Also got all the resto photos and receipts from the last owner. I have a letter from the original owner detailing the history of the car while they had it and drove it in the Bahamas.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:55 PM
JSB69
Burning Brakes

The guy who bought the bogus black '67 435 coupe for $163,000 at B-J got all that documentation too. Anyone seen or heard where that stands these days? There was a guy on one of the forums (NCRS, I think) who said he passed all the info on to B-J and hasn't heard anything since.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:32 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Default documentation

I was speaking with a friend of mine recently regarding documentation as so many Mopars are labeled 1 of 5 and 2 of 3. He went on to relate the paper for the build sheets is available, ink, and correct font type. There are also instructions on how to properly "age" the paper by placing it behind the seat springs and misting it with water to make it appear authentic. Trim tags are remanufactured and I wouldn't doubt vin tags are in the same catagory. Who knows what was drag raced, destroyed, or parted out in the past 40 plus years. Besides the clones turn out better ( fit, finish, and more hp ) than the real mcCoys. I bet there are not many documented 250 hp cars because it is worth much more as a 365 solid lifter version. A hobby is enjoyed and fun as it is supposed to be. Would I pay someone five thousand dollars to paint my project car ? I don't think so... not in this lifetime. If it is a business to make money and sell a number of cars.... yes! So when you buy this reported rare optioned, low mileage, high dollar origional piece and find as many it is possibly a clone you take that business chance. Dealers require hard proof and examine carefully. They too get cheated on occasion but the price paid will still result in a profit at the time of sale. How anyone can buy or even bid on a car they see for 3 minutes at an auction and later have complaints of what should of, could of, and might have been does not have my sympathy. Is it real... or is it memorex? Only the factory knows and this is limited to the assembly date. I still love this hobby for what it is, not what someone can twist it around to be.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Denney
Melting Slicks

I'm another fortunate one, I do have documentation on one of mine (the 425hp vert) including the original P-O-P (sold by Yenko Chevrolet). Contacted the third owner (his registration was in the glovebox) and learned more about the car. Have been trying to track down the original owner (I have his name and found him listed in Classmates.com in the town he lived back then) but have not been able to make the "connection" yet... Still trying, though...
Old 03-19-2005, 10:04 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a copy of all 6 previous titles and a pic from 2 owners before me.

I got the car with 27 big boxes of parts - it was important to get history.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:43 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

For EVERY car I've ever bought, I create a "pocket folder", then enclose all info that pertains to that particular car: window sticker, state inspection receipts, tire/battery/parts receipts, etc. Of course, with any USED car, just the stuff I gather from the day I bought it, so I only have info on the '62 Vette from 1967. When I bought my '96 IMP/SS, a bud of mine bought my '91 Caprice from me. I gave him the folder for the Chev, which included the Motor Trend issue when it was proclaimed MT "Car of the Year"; of course he was happy to get all my maintenance records, too He STILL has the car!
Cruz
Old 03-20-2005, 08:23 AM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 288 Likes on 185 Posts

I have owned my 67 Coupe for 9 years now. I started tracing it's ownership history shortly after my purchase. I have been fortunate enough to obtain ownership information from 7 past owners. I am now missing info from Jan. 67 thru Oct. 1970. The search goes on.

Get notified of new replies

To Documented history

Old 03-20-2005, 09:50 AM
66BBCoupe
Burning Brakes

Received 345 Likes on 118 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Default Full House

I'm fortunate as well - Full documentation from the day delivered - most everything you would imagine including original California black plates, color photo’s from new, every registration from new, all the paperwork etc - but the real pleasure I had was meeting the original owner and his family. I flew out to the West Coast from Connecticut and spent two full days reminiscing about “his” 66 427/425 Coupe. This was the subject of a Corvette Fever article in April 2002 about two generations being united by a Corvette. While I was with the original family, he gave me more documentation! Original financing paperwork, service manual, 21 SCCA awards the car earned, his 1966 Corvette racing jacket with the original corvette owners patch still intact etc. The real amazing part was making a new friend and bonding with all the memories! Sadly he died after several years of friendship. I still remain in contact with his family with the common link of the Vette holding us together.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:12 AM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have no documentation with my 1966 Corvette Coupe 427 x 450, but I am taking the car through the NCRS so in a way that can prove originality of the car. On the other hand, on my 1966 Corvette Convertible 327 x 350, I have almost all the documentation that the car came with. P-O-P, dealer invoice, shipping invoice, dealer inspection papers, original paperwork from the dealer, original title etc.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:37 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

I think the "hobby" is becoming more about the paperwork than the cars themselves.

Too bad...

Quick Reply: Documented history