C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 speedometer cable replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 01:28 PM
SilverC1
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default C1 speedometer cable replacement

This may be a dumb question, but is it possible, and does it make any sense, to just replace the inner cable of the speedometer cable, without undoing or replacing the outer cable/sleeve?

I had an old Triumph where it was possible to just undo one end of the cable (the transmission end), pull out the inner metal cable, and either clean and re-grease it, or insert a new inner cable.

One reason to do this is just to avoid having to get behind the dash to undo the speedometer end of the cable. But, it would also leave more of the car original. I suppose you would also be leaving more old grease residue and dirt behind, so perhaps this wouldn't be as effective a "fix" as replacing the whole cable assembly. It also requires that the cable design be such that the inner cable comes out, and that it can just be inserted into the in-place outer cable.

My speedometer suffers from the bouncing needle problem, as well as running permanently fast, even when it is not bouncing much.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:06 PM
andy60
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

R,

The bouncing needle or runnnig fast will probably not be cured by a new cable or cable insert.

The bouncing needle is most likely from the speedo?

And, your question about not getting behind the dash to replace the speedo cable I do not understand? Even if you just replace the insert you will need to take the cable off of one end. The end behind the cluster is much easier to get at than at the trans.

Just my $.02

Andy
Old 04-14-2005, 02:41 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

The inner flex shaft can ONLY be replaced from the speedo end; it has a flange on it that prevents it from being pulled out from the transmission end.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:57 PM
andy60
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

John,

Yep, I now remember, little ring, thanks.

Andy

Get notified of new replies

To C1 speedometer cable replacement

Quick Reply: C1 speedometer cable replacement