C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 BB Engine mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 08:39 PM
Vette-66
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 66 BB Engine mounts

I need to replace the original engine mounts in my 66 BB, so I went to NAPA and found they carry the safety style.
My original are non-safety.

I notice there is a difference between the 2 types in height with respect to the mounting surface. The safety type is taller and I see that this may cause the engine to sit a little higher.

My question is this...
Does anyone know If using the safety type engine mount will cause the engine to sit too high and affect my hood closing?

P.S.
I also have the L88 cold air induction insert in my hood.

Thanks
Chuck
Old 04-20-2005, 09:02 PM
gwilkerson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck

I've got the safety style on my 66 L36. No issues at all. Thats the only way I'd go.
Not sure if the cold air induction would have an effect

Gary
Old 04-20-2005, 09:34 PM
67tripwr
Team Owner

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

I would be very carefull with this one! I would not trust napa's mounts! I have had trouble on two,oh three engines! I would get the mounts from GM and pay more! Nothing sucks more, than dropping in a motor and no go!
Old 04-20-2005, 10:00 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm with 67tripwr on this one. I bought some and the motor mount was too narrow to go over the frame mount. You can guess when I discovered this.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:45 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had the reverse experience. I had new GM mounts split open within months and have had NAPA mounts last for years.

To prevent problems, always drill and tap the mount for a bolt to securely limit the max movement. An old Hot Rod magazine article showed how. If you position the bolt head in the freeze plug cavity of the engine, no one will see it.

I have a couple of pics at the bottom of the Details page, linked off my home page (listed below). With that set up, I use original style mounts and have more security, since the upper movement limit is less in case of failure.

Get notified of new replies

To 66 BB Engine mounts

Quick Reply: 66 BB Engine mounts