C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1958 WCFB carb flooding out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 07:56 PM
mmfritzy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1958 WCFB carb flooding out-Please help

Could anyone offer some help on a carb question?

I recently installed a correct, rebuilt WCFB cabureator (Top choke) on my '58. Initially the car ran excellent. I've since put about 100 miles on it since the install. Now the float bowls are overfilling and the carb is flooding out after the car runs for about 30 seconds to one minute. The car had been sitting idle for over a year before the install but I completely drained the old gas and replaced it with new. I think some sediment from the tank has blocked something inside the carb because the fuel filter was pretty dirty. I removed the carb and tried to blow it out and shake it loose but it's still doing the same thing.

If some sediment clogged the inner working of the carb, does anyone know how difficult it is to take it apart and clean it out? Are WCFB's much more delicate than Hollys? Could there be any other problems? Any insight would be great. Thanks for all the great info you guys provide. You guys rock!!

Last edited by mmfritzy; 07-04-2005 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Coves4me
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The carb is fairly simple to work on. If you have never torn one down, have a digital camera handy and take plenty of before pics as you take things apart. The carburetor has two sets of floats that should be adjusted with the top air horn inverted. Your problem sounds like incorrectly adjusted floats. The floats are brass and one could have a pinhole leak causing it to sink in the bowl and cause the flooding condition. WCFB carb kits are readily available at most good auto parts stores. Just take your time and keep things clean. Any adjustments you need to make are in the directions that come with the carb kit. Also, don't overtighten any screws. The carb housings are potmetal and threads can strip fairly easily.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:10 AM
y2kvett
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 1957 with dual WCFB's

mmfritzy,
I'm working on a '57 with the same problem only on both carbs. I measured the fuel pressure and it is at 5.5-6# at idle and 7# with higher rpm's. I've heard that these carbs are sensitive to fuel pressure and should run with 4.5# of pressure. I'm looking for a different fuel pump presently in order to solve this problem. It is pretty obvious that the fuel pressure is pushing a lot of fuel past the float needle valves. When I shut down the car, fuel runs out the side of the carb. Both carbs have been rebuilt and floats set for a lower fuel level, so I know we are ok there.

Let me know what you discover.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:14 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by mmfritzy
Could anyone offer some help on a carb question?

I recently installed a correct, rebuilt WCFB cabureator (Top choke) on my '58. Initially the car ran excellent. I've since put about 100 miles on it since the install. Now the float bowls are overfilling and the carb is flooding out after the car runs for about 30 seconds to one minute. The car had been sitting idle for over a year before the install but I completely drained the old gas and replaced it with new. I think some sediment from the tank has blocked something inside the carb because the fuel filter was pretty dirty. I removed the carb and tried to blow it out and shake it loose but it's still doing the same thing.

If some sediment clogged the inner working of the carb, does anyone know how difficult it is to take it apart and clean it out? Are WCFB's much more delicate than Hollys? Could there be any other problems? Any insight would be great. Thanks for all the great info you guys provide. You guys rock!!

The fact that you say the car ran great for 200 miles and then started flooding makes me think your carb rebuild was okay, you just knocked some trash loose and it is now in your needle/seat assy. and will not allow it to shut the gas flow off. Take the needle/seat out and blow it out. Flip the carb top upside down and blow into the fuel inlet. If it leaks air, your needle valve/seat is still not sealing. The only thing you need to adjust will be the metering rods after you put the top back on the carb. It's been awhile so I can't explain how to do it. You can find it in service manuals of that era.

One other likely possibility, as suggested above is the float could have filled up with gasoline due to a pin hole.

If trash in your fuel system is a problem, maybe you can plumb in an extra temporary CLEAR filter in the line. That way you can see if it self purges. If it doesn't, you'll probably need a new tank.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:58 AM
y2kvett
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Default both fail

This is a DUAL quad system. Both carbs do this. Floats have been checked for leaks, and glass fuel filter is clean. What is the max fuel pressure that the WCFB can handle and what could be wrong with a mechanical fuel pump that it would put out too much pressure?

Get notified of new replies

To 1958 WCFB carb flooding out?

Quick Reply: 1958 WCFB carb flooding out?