C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

"Off The Rack" whitewall radials...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 02:18 PM
batmann
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "Off The Rack" whitewall radials...

I've been looking for tires for my '64. I just called my local tire guy about for a rough guess on Diamondback's pricing - he is guessing between 100 and 130 dollars per tire.

I really don't want to spend 5 or 6 hundred dollars on tires.

I don't need the whitewalls to be exactly 1". They do need to be either Goodyear, Firestone, U.S. Royal, BF Goodrich, or General..per judging manual.

Is there an "Off The Rack" 205/75R15 that has a clean looking sidewall...and close to a 1" sidewall?

Thanks again,
Dave
Old 07-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Michelin used to make 'em. I have an old set. Chuck
Old 07-08-2005, 04:40 PM
batmann
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
Do you happen to know what series/model they are?
Old 07-08-2005, 05:17 PM
67435animal
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
Michelin X-One P215/70R15 worked on my car.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:23 PM
SilverC1
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The last set of tires I bought for my C1 (215/75R15, I think) were Firestones - a pretty inexpensive radial that had about a 1" whitewall (maybe even 1 and 1/8"). My car would normally have had wide whitewalls (as in my avatar photo), but these were more like a '62 whitewall.

This was 3 or 4 years ago, though, and I can't recall the model number/name, but they were a standard offering from a local Firestone dealer.

I did a little search on Firestone/Bridgestone's web site, and the closest thing I see there is the FR440 model, which offers "traditional white stripe styling". But in the photo of the tire the whitewall doesn't appear to be quite 1".

Bob Schleicher
Old 07-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

The Michelins that I have are Radial XH P205/75/R15. They have a 1" whitewall. Chuck
Old 07-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Talisman51
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Dave,
I feel your pain...I too am attempting to find a judgable WW... Too bad the Michelin is not a OEM supplier. But the difference in deductions is only 4 points, if you have a correct spare....not such a big deal for a good tire with the correct ww.

Non oem 75% deduct x 24 points = 18
Oem 60% deduct x 24 points = 14.4

compromise.. compromise..

JimV
Old 07-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Talisman51
Burning Brakes

Chuck,

Are those michelins x-ones? or a different model?

Thanks
JimV
Old 07-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

They're XH...as printed on the sidewall. I've had them for awhile. They're my "driver" tires for the 63.

I have a set of Firestone repro's on original wheels on the car now. Drives fine with them. I haven't swapped them around.

Chuck
Old 07-08-2005, 09:22 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

USRoyal is now uniroyal and walmart has 215x70r15 WW tires that work.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:53 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

My 64(built early Oct,63) came with US Royal Safety 800 tires. I still have one of them and the whitewall width is 13/16".
Old 07-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Talisman51
Burning Brakes

Thanks Chuck...
BTW...where did ya get your Firestone repros? coker...kelsy...have you had the car NCRS judged?

I may go the steel wheel/repro route for judging. Kinda on the fence about it, with all the negative talk about bias belts..

JimV
Old 07-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Talisman51
Burning Brakes

Hey Majic...
What is the Uniroyal tire line your refering to...?

Thanks
JimV
Old 07-09-2005, 04:39 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Talisman51
Thanks Chuck...
BTW...where did ya get your Firestone repros? coker...kelsy...have you had the car NCRS judged?

I may go the steel wheel/repro route for judging. Kinda on the fence about it, with all the negative talk about bias belts..

JimV
I bought them "locally" from Universal Tire in Hershey, PA. To the best of my knowledge, everybody sells the same Firestone repro, Lucas, Coker, etc.

I've had the car judged. Don't have the sheets handy. The repro's are "10% deduct tires". I have an original Firestone spare for comparison. The difference is the DOT and "Load Range B" markings on the sidewalls.

I'll go out on a limb, and expect to be "flamed" but let me say something....

Both my 63 and my 69 drive just FINE on bias ply repro tires. I'm NOT saying that the repro's are "better", or "safer". Radial technology is definitely superior to bias ply.

IF you have a solid, rebuilt front end, and IF YOU HAVE THE PROPER ALIGNMENT SPECS FOR TOE IN done on the front, the cars will drive just fine. They don't "dart" or "wander". They don't find every rut in the road, etc.

I drove these cars new. I'm 58 years old. I "preceed" radial technology.

The biggest problem that people have with bias vs. radial tires is that they have their cars aligned to radial tire specs, which does NOT put enough "toe in" into the front. That's why your car drives like crap on bias ply tires when you have a "radial tire" front end alignment.

Chuck
Old 07-09-2005, 09:58 AM
Talisman51
Burning Brakes

Good AM Chuck,

Thanks for sharing your experience. BTW....u and I both "preceed" radial technology!

I am curious about the deduct range on repros. Some, like yours are 10%, while other repros are 20% or 30%. The JM describes attributes but this does not help in the purchasing desicion unless you have an original to compare to. The only sources for repros that I know of are Lukas, Coker, and Kelsey, and I believe they have there own molds and manufacture their own tires. Contrastingly, Diamondback modifies existing radials.

Is universal tire just a local tire shop, or do they specialize in antique and custom stuff?

What year is your car, and what Firestones to you have (Deluxe Champions W/W or Super Sport G/L)?

Cheers
JimV
Old 07-09-2005, 11:04 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

If you want "off the rack" OEM-brand whitewall radials, get a set of 205/75-15 Firestone "Supreme Si" radials - that's what Diamondback buys to add their features to - they're about $70 each.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:13 AM
batmann
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnZ
If you want "off the rack" OEM-brand whitewall radials, get a set of 205/75-15 Firestone "Supreme Si" radials - that's what Diamondback buys to add their features to - they're about $70 each.
That is currently the tire that's at the top of my list. Over the last week - I've been searching for a tire with a tire that has a wider WW...no luck though.

Get notified of new replies

To "Off The Rack" whitewall radials...

Old 07-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Talisman51
Good AM Chuck,

Thanks for sharing your experience. BTW....u and I both "preceed" radial technology!

I am curious about the deduct range on repros. Some, like yours are 10%, while other repros are 20% or 30%. The JM describes attributes but this does not help in the purchasing desicion unless you have an original to compare to. The only sources for repros that I know of are Lukas, Coker, and Kelsey, and I believe they have there own molds and manufacture their own tires. Contrastingly, Diamondback modifies existing radials.

Is universal tire just a local tire shop, or do they specialize in antique and custom stuff?

What year is your car, and what Firestones to you have (Deluxe Champions W/W or Super Sport G/L)?

Cheers
JimV
Do a Google search for Universal Vintage Tire. They're a re-seller/vintage tire dealer. They do sell their own Universal brand, but they also sell Firestone. I honestly don't know if they make ANY of their tires "in house".

They have the 6.70x15 1" whitewall for $111.00 each.

I have the Deluxe Champion 1" model

I live about 1 1/2 hours from Hershey. Universal Tire used to be located in Lancaster, PA....only about 1 hour from me. I actually bought them when they were in Lancaster. Chuck
Old 07-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am kind of confused about the whole tire thing.

Why don't people simply have a set of repro bias plys on stock steel wheels with steel wheel covers for judging; and a second set of modern radials on aluminum custom wheels for driving?

If one's goal is to have the car NCRS judged, then why would anyone want a tire/wheel combo that gave them less than the maximum points available?

Chuck Gongloff above mentioned his Firestone repro bias-plys only got a 10% deduction. I think it's awfully hard to beat that.

I have a gut feeling that people spend a good bit of time preparing their cars before presenting them to the judges. What's an extra half hour to switch out the wheels?

Old 07-09-2005, 05:59 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Code:
Why don't people simply have a set of repro bias plys on stock steel wheels with steel wheel covers for judging; and a second set of modern radials on aluminum custom wheels for driving?
They do. Very common practice.

Code:
If one's goal is to have the car NCRS judged, then why would anyone want a tire/wheel combo that gave them less than the maximum points available?
Money. Points per dollar. Yes, you do want to maximize the points you get. But you need to know how many pointsyou get for how many dollars you spend. Sometimes the trade-off isn't worth it.

Code:
What's an extra half hour to switch out the wheels?
Too much trouble. And that only works if you trailer the car, or drive to the meet on the bias ply tires. You can't easily drive to the meet on the radials and then switch to the bias plies at the meet. No room in a Corvette for 4 mounted wheels.

Quick Reply: "Off The Rack" whitewall radials...