C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Aligning Driver's Side Headlight Bucket

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 03:47 PM
Cobra66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Aligning Driver's Side Headlight Bucket

The gaps between the body and driver's side headlight bucket on my '64 coupe are quite uneven--very tight to the extreme driver's side, and with a disproportionately wide gap on the passenger side.

The other bucket (passenger side) is adjusted pretty evenly.

Before I begin exploring this situation (i. e., tearing things apart), might you have any tips on how to correctly go about adjusting these uneven gaps?

Both buckets rotate fine, but when closed, the driver's side is way off in adjustment per above.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to pass along!
Old 07-26-2005, 07:59 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

It hasn't been long since I re-installed mine, so my memory is pretty fresh. There are two collars that position the bucket. The outside one is a round collar with a set screw locating it to the shaft. The inside one is also the travel stop arms. This is a split clamp connection that requires loosing the clamp bolt to adjust. Loosen the side that you want to move away from and shift the bucket over, then tighten that one back down. Then loosen the one you moved the bucket toward and while holding the bucket against moving back, push this one toward the bucket to take up the slack. Re-tighten it and you should be done.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:59 PM
stepinwolf
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe
It hasn't been long since I re-installed mine, so my memory is pretty fresh. There are two collars that position the bucket. The outside one is a round collar with a set screw locating it to the shaft. The inside one is also the travel stop arms. This is a split clamp connection that requires loosing the clamp bolt to adjust. Loosen the side that you want to move away from and shift the bucket over, then tighten that one back down. Then loosen the one you moved the bucket toward and while holding the bucket against moving back, push this one toward the bucket to take up the slack. Re-tighten it and you should be done.

There is no other way to accomplish this, then you have just described. Excellent interpretation, and easy to understand directions

Stepinwolf
Old 07-26-2005, 09:29 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

It is normal for the gap to be closer on the outside than the inside. That because of the design.

Get notified of new replies

To Aligning Driver's Side Headlight Bucket

Quick Reply: Aligning Driver's Side Headlight Bucket