C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Wouldn't you know it--another leak!

Old 08-12-2005, 08:16 PM
sjaroslo
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: And make no mistake, there's women who just wait for the man and machine with the best time
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Wouldn't you know it--another leak!

After doing my engine swap and having the tranny gone through and freshened, I thought that I was zeroing in on my Corvette Nirvana: No More Leaks on the Garage Floor. The last leaky item was the power steering control valve. While I don't quite understand my own logic in being willing to take on an engine swap myself but being unwilling to do what should be relatively simple repairs, I took the 66 to the local Corvette mechanic and had the valve replaced. I was a happy camper--for 1 day. Inexplicably (other than being close to 40 years old), the very next day after getting the car back from the shop I was backing out of the garage and couldn't believe that I was seeing four big dark brown drips from under the differential area!!!!!!! Yep, it looks like the pinion seal has gone bye-bye....throwing diff lube against the body and the exhaust back there.... I have been using the car as a daily driver and did a 200+ mile round trip over the weekend, but the irony is dripping as thickly as the lube.

What further hacks me off was that my Winter project this year was going to be a complete suspension/remaining drivetrain rebuild: trailing arms, springs, shocks, etc--and a diff rebuild was on my list. Unfortunately (fortunately?) I live in Northern California and we still have several months of good driving weather ahead of us (not that it ever gets that bad, guys, I know, so nobody give me the violin ), so it looks like it is back to Max at Race Street Rally for a couple of hundred bucks worth of work that I'll have Van Steel re-do in a few months.... Ah, it is only money. And the driving of the car is what it's all about! I let my brother (he is the 2nd owner of the car from back in '71 or '72) drive the car over the weekend for the 1st time since the swap (Fast Burn 385 with HOT cam kit) and he also owns a 92 or 93 ZR-1. He came back from the test drive sweating a bit and looking a little harried and muttering something about a "beast" and about being it being "faster than the ZR-1...." Made me happy! Now, handling vs. the ZR-1 was a little different subject!
Old 08-12-2005, 11:10 PM
adrenaline-guy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I know the feeling. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one that is obsessed about no oil leaks. I am currently re-installing my engine, a new Kiesler 5-speed (while I was at it), and re-built my leaking rear differential (while I was waiting for my clutch to be rebuilt) I don't have power steering on my 65, so I have no leaks there...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wouldn't you know it--another leak!