C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Can You Chk The Balance Of A Fan

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 10:13 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Can You Chk The Balance Of A Fan

You may have remembered my issues with blowing water pumps...well I just took the car out early this evening in preparation for the Pure
Stocks coming up on 9/16 & 9/17. Was experiencing a miss right at 5,500-5,600 r's. Has an MSD box with a 6,200 chip in it. Figured I had nothing to lose (KISS) so removed the chip and wallah, she pulled hard smoothly right up to 6,300-6,400 r's. That's my good news. My bad news is as I looked down my driveway I could see a steady drip line leading into the garage. Yup, blew the gaskets...again!

I can't see any cracks in the nose of the waterpump. In grabbing the fan (it's a factory replacement 7-blade fan for an air car (thinking of adding air as a winter project) there is a little rocking to the nose of the waterpump indicating to me the bearing are starting to go. I'm just wondering if there is a way to determine if this fan is out of balance and the source of my grief. I still have my original stock 5 blade fan (was a 300 horse when it was born). Maybe it's coincidental but when I converted to the LT1 cam I swapped in the 7 blade fan at the same time. With the '5 now seeing higher r's, I have been chasing waterpump and gasket failures. Pulley alignment is right on. Belt tensioning could have been the reason for the demise the first time but since then I have left enough slack to take that issue off the table.

So, is there a way to check the balance of this 7-blade fan. I'm thinking to just put the factory 5-blade fan back on when I replace this pump and see what happens.

Little further background. I'm running a GM replacement fan clutch (new last year) as well as a 180 thermostat and a brand new restoration radiator from Dewitts along with the factory metal shroud. No cooling issues whatsover.

Appreciate any help on checking the fan for balance.

Thanks in advance!

Jim
Old 09-05-2005, 11:44 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Jim, I don't know any way to check the balance of the fan without a shop having to fabricate a special setup to mount it in a machine, and that would be expensive. I'd go back to the original 5-blade fan, which should work fine when you convert to A/C anyway (by '67, all Corvettes used a 5-blade fan, with or without A/C).
Old 09-05-2005, 10:11 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In III Veteran

Thanks JohnZ for responding! I've made up my mind to do just that. Didn't realize the 7-blade fan was phased out by '67. Tomorrow I plan on buying a GM water pump. Any suggestions on local sources?

Jim
Old 09-06-2005, 09:54 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

FWIW: I split the GM casting on several waterpumps in the front bearing area, before switching to the web reinforced type with larger shaft and bearings that started about 1971.

Your problem isn't unique. Here's a pic from my web pages, split the pump on the way to BG in Springfield on I55:
Old 09-06-2005, 10:36 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Magic

loved how that C3 cruising down the road didn't bother to pull over and ask if you needed help
Old 09-06-2005, 11:38 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by 6T5RUSH
Thanks JohnZ for responding! I've made up my mind to do just that. Didn't realize the 7-blade fan was phased out by '67. Tomorrow I plan on buying a GM water pump. Any suggestions on local sources?

Jim
Your local Chevy dealer can get you one, or Paragon has the same new AC-Delco replacement (with an adapter bushing for the top bypass fitting) for about fifty bucks, or speed shops (like Ramchargers) have all manner of aftermarket pumps. If you want a rebuilt original 326 pump, Bill Mock in Oklahoma (918-333-0748) has them in stock ready to ship.

Old 09-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

Jim, I can get you a rebuilt orginal if you need it.......
Old 09-06-2005, 07:09 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryK
Magic

loved how that C3 cruising down the road didn't bother to pull over and ask if you needed help
Barry - there were dozens of Corvettes on I55 headed to BG. In about 20 minutes, a couple in an LT1 stopped to help and went to Lincoln IL to get water for the rad - then got me to a NAPA store too.

More story at http://www.corvetteforum.net/classic...e/index3.shtml
Old 09-06-2005, 07:59 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In III Veteran

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Hey Donny, give me a shout on that rebuilt GM waterpump. I want to hear more. Just may go that route...in my mind I'm thinking brand new to eliminate any quality issues from a rebuilder.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 09-07-2005, 08:13 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by magicv8
Barry - there were dozens of Corvettes on I55 headed to BG. In about 20 minutes, a couple in an LT1 stopped to help and went to Lincoln IL to get water for the rad - then got me to a NAPA store too.

More story at http://www.corvetteforum.net/classic...e/index3.shtml
well, I'm very glad to hear that another Vette stopped to help at least

Get notified of new replies

To Can You Chk The Balance Of A Fan

Quick Reply: Can You Chk The Balance Of A Fan