C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Which roller rockers fit under stock aluminum valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which roller rockers fit under stock aluminum valve covers

Do any of the true roller rockers fit under the stock 63-7 aluminum valve covers? I know the roller tip rockers fit, but i would really like to find some true roller rockers that will fit.

Pic one-roller tip

True roller rocker

Oh, and do these actually add 10-15hp. Anybody tested them on a dyno??

Last edited by Corbrastang; 09-10-2005 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:03 AM
simard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which roller rockers fit under stock aluminum valve covers

I purchased my 60 with aluminum valve covers over Harlan Sharpe roller rockers. They will not fit under aluminum covers that have molded in drippers. My 70 has these valve covers.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:09 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

The stainless steel roller rockers shown above bottom picture will fiit under the stock BB steel valve covers, but you have to remove the drippers.

I am running them on my BB.

Old 09-10-2005, 11:30 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Corbrastang
Do any of the true roller rockers fit under the stock 63-7 aluminum valve covers? I know the roller tip rockers fit, but i would really like to find some true roller rockers that will fit.
True roller rockers won't fit under small-block factory '57-'67 aluminum valve covers due to interference with the poly-locks. The Comp roller-tip rockers might add a couple of HP and may reduce valve guide wear in the long term, but I wouldn't expect any more from them.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:25 PM
muncieman
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Roller rockers vs roller tipped rockers.

Originally Posted by Corbrastang

Pic one-roller tip

True roller rocker

Oh, and do these actually add 10-15hp. Anybody tested them on a dyno??
Because you have issues with the valve covers, you are limited to the stamped steel roller tipped rockers. Not a bad choice, they are much closer to the true ratio than tha stock rockers and far more rigid.

Roller rockers are nice, I use them with the late model aluminum covers. I don't see any real difference in performace one vs the other in a street application. Their claims about 10 to 15 hp increase might be a little over the top.

They can help with valve guide wear if the geometry is correct. If the push rod is not the correct length it won't help a lick. Manley makes a slick plastic checker, cheap and does the job. Most stock engines will be in the range, more radical combos or the use of after market heads will need checking. My 67 chevelle with the GM fast burn aluminum heads, roller cam , decked block has .200 long push rods.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:49 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

I have ROLLER TIP rockers on ALL my SB engines with stock valve covers (finned alum), no problems.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Thanks, i have been using the roller tip design for a few years now, but i was hoping that a full roller version might fit under my 65 aluminum small block valve covers. Oh well-i guess i will keep that money for something else.
BTW, just got the Lunati voodoo 60103 cam in. I guess we will soon see if these cams are as great as holley claims.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:57 PM
L79vette
Pro

I have the GM self-aligning 1.6 ratio full rollers under my '67 stock valve covers. Using thick Mr. Gasket gaskets. Previously had doubled up regular gaskets. It works!
Old 09-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

I purchased some of the magnum roller rockers a couple years ago. They fit fine, but the licking nut is what got in the way. If somebody made a shorter nut for the center of the rocker,whatever that piece is called, then it would work great.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Corbra, I'm running the 1.5 Forged Magum's also and I just not only ran the thicker gaskets but also took my dremel to the spots where my poly locks hit the valve covers... I too wish I could go to a full roller setup but I like the finned covers as you do....

I know this might be getting a little silly but how much room do you guys think you would need to get a full roller system under the finned valve covers?? Glue two of the thick gaskets together or would that still not be enough? Dave...
Old 09-10-2005, 11:44 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Cobrastang, youwish2beme & Others here,

Send me a short message via e-mail to jkaram@wideopenwest.com and I'll send you some pics of my setup (don't have a hosting site) that does use 1.6 Crane Gold Roller Rockers with no valve cover interference...I'm using the factory aluminum valve covers. They work using 1 set of cork gaskets. Did have to have a set 8.25" push rods made to take advantage of the increased ratio.

Go for it!

Jim

Last edited by 6T5RUSH; 09-10-2005 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:02 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I replaced the stamped steel chevy stock rockers on my 435 with the comp cams roller tip rockers shown above, they are investment cast rockers with a roller tip as you already know.

I ran them for a few days and one of my pushrods almost drilled its way right through the rocker pushrod seat...I learned later that they are not designed for anything more than bone stock specs and should not be used for high lift or high performance valve springs....after I saw this I replaced them with Norris Cams stainless steel roller rockers and never had a problem again... Same as comp cams version today, in stainless steel
Old 09-11-2005, 12:57 AM
adrenaline-guy
Drifting

I have been tempted to get a set of original Corvette aluminum valve covers for my 65 and fabricate some aluminum spacers for them to fit over my roller rockers. I currently have some Edelbrock aluminum valve covers (I will never go with stamped steel again ), but I like the factory look better.

1)--How thick would the spacers need to be to clear the roller rockers? I am guessing around 1/2".
2)--Would anyone else be interested in having the same thing fabricated? This sort of machining cost per unit is much cheaper with volume. I will work on the CAD to send the specs to the machinists next week and get a price per unit for one set, five sets, twenty sets, etc. Send an e-mail to rocksolidflooring@msn.com if anyone is interested.

Last edited by adrenaline-guy; 09-11-2005 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:35 AM
nitram
Instructor

No need to have spacers custom built. Their available from Jegs now.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:44 AM
adrenaline-guy
Drifting

Originally Posted by nitram
No need to have spacers custom built. Their available from Jegs now.
Cool. I found the part on the Jeg's website for $91.99, and they will probably work just as well, cost a little more, but look better than what I would have tried to do with waterjet profiling. These look a little too tall, but they could be milled down. Link to Jeg's: http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...91&prmenbr=361

Last edited by adrenaline-guy; 09-11-2005 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:58 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

does jegs sell them for big block motor?
Old 09-12-2005, 08:12 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by babbah
does jegs sell them for big block motor?
Yep.

Just bought a pair.

Get notified of new replies

To Which roller rockers fit under stock aluminum valve covers

Quick Reply: Which roller rockers fit under stock aluminum valve covers