C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Where are the SR2's

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 08:30 AM
GS0872
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where are the SR2's

In 1957, Chevrolet made a few SR2s for racing. These were racing-only cars with a big fin that was an extension of the driver's head rest. Some of these cars still exist and show up at the Monterrey race and other places. Does anyone know where these cars are kept or displayed? I'm thinking about building a SR2 replica from an aftermarket '57 body, a GM crate engine, 5-speed, and a tube frame.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Mike McCoy
Pro

I do know of one of the SR2's. It is located near Reno, Nevada. You might contact the Reno Corvettes. Someone there will know who the owner is and may help you contact him. I don't know how private he is.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:45 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

There were FOUR SR2s, but, it was generally believed and accepted that there were only 3. Not so, there were 4. AND ALL 4 ARE ALIVE AND WELL TODAY!!!
The first was built specifically for Jerry Earl who was the son of Harley Earl, Head of GM styling. It was built as a low fin SR2 (in the center of the trunk lid) and later modified with a high fin behind the driver. It was built from a production 56 Corvette, #2522. It is owned today by Rich Mason who lives in Arizona. He does some vintage racing with it ocassionally and it has (or did have) a 350 with a DUAL AIR METER, early (57 style) Rochester fuel injection unit.
The second SR2 was built specifically for Bill Mitchell, Harley Earl's styling assistant and it was built from 56 Vette #2532. It was built as a high fin SR2. If I remember correctly, it is owned by Bill tower. Is that right guys?
The third SR2 was built specifically for Harlow Curtis, President of GM, from 56 Vette #2636, as a low fin (in the center) version. It is (or was) owned by Richard Fortier who owns Paragon Reproductions. I believe it has a 283 with FI today.
And now, for the 4th SR2. This car was kind of a put together SR2 by one of the engineers. It has the high fin, extended nose and unique dash that is typical of the SR2s. All four SR2s have this unique dash, but yet, each one has a different gauge configuration. The 4th SR2 is owned by John Neas (a dear friend of mine) in Tulsa. It has an ALL ALUMINUM 350 (Chev engine block, not aftermarket) with a somewhat modified, early (finned top) FI unit that was built by yours truly.

So, now you know!

Last edited by DZAUTO; 09-25-2005 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:59 PM
SebringBill
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
There were FOUR SR2s, but, it was generally believed and accepted that there were only 3. Not so, there were 4. AND ALL 4 ARE ALIVE AND WELL TODAY!!!
The first was built specifically for Jerry Earl who was the son of Harley Earl, Head of GM styling. It was built as a low fin SR2 (in the center of the trunk lid) and later modified with a high fin behind the driver. It was built from a production 56 Corvette, #2522. It is owned today by Rich Mason who lives in Arizona. He does some vintage racing with it ocassionally and it has (or did have) a 350 with a DUAL AIR METER, early (57 style) Rochester fuel injection unit.
The second SR2 was built specifically for Bill Mitchell, Harley Earl's styling assistant and it was built from 56 Vette #2532. It was built as a high fin SR2. If I remember correctly, it is owned by Bill tower. Is that right guys?
The third SR2 was built specifically for Harlow Curtis, President of GM, from 56 Vette #2636, as a low fin (in the center) version. It is (or was) owned by Richard Fortier who owns Paragon Reproductions. I believe it has a 283 with FI today.
And now, for the 4th SR2. This car was kind of a put together SR2 by one of the engineers. It has the high fin, extended nose and unique dash that is typical of the SR2s. All four SR2s have this unique dash, but yet, each one has a different gauge configuration. The 4th SR2 is owned by John Neas (a dear friend of mine) in Tulsa. It has an ALL ALUMINUM 350 (Chev engine block, not aftermarket) with a somewhat modified, early (finned top) FI unit that was built by yours truly.

So, now you know!
You're correct about Bill Tower - he's in Florida. Richard Fortier sold Paragon a few years ago but he does still own the styling SR-2.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:30 AM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GS0872
In 1957, Chevrolet made a few SR2s for racing. These were racing-only cars with a big fin that was an extension of the driver's head rest. Some of these cars still exist and show up at the Monterrey race and other places. Does anyone know where these cars are kept or displayed? I'm thinking about building a SR2 replica from an aftermarket '57 body, a GM crate engine, 5-speed, and a tube frame.

If I had the jing thats what I would have built.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:51 AM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Pics please!
Old 09-26-2005, 01:46 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Here's SR-2 #2 (I think) at Sebring in March, 1957:

And here's Richard Fortier's Styling SR-2 (WAY back in the corner):

Old 09-26-2005, 02:16 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

JohnZ, that's gotta be 1957!!! Look at that flat-top haircut!!!

Old 09-26-2005, 03:02 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

There was a blue with silver coves SR-2 at Carlisle two years ago, and I took a series of photographs. Both front, side, rear, and close up views. If you need them let me know, I will email them to you.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:01 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by EBVette
There was a blue with silver coves SR-2 at Carlisle two years ago, and I took a series of photographs. Both front, side, rear, and close up views. If you need them let me know, I will email them to you.
Please send them to me and I will post them in the thread. doughan@swbell.net
Old 09-27-2005, 02:06 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Does anyone have GOOD pictures of the rear brake cooling ducts that went through the doors on one of the SR2s? Yes, that's what I said, rear brake cooling air was ducted through the rear of the cove in the side of the door, through the door, and into a duct in the side of the body between the door opening and the rear wheel opening. Anyone have good pictures of this one of a kind air duct? (I'm thinking this is on Rich Mason's SR2, the first one, might also be on Bill Tower's SR2)

Last edited by DZAUTO; 09-27-2005 at 02:08 AM.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:49 AM
59t-tom
Instructor

There was an SR-2 in the NCM a couple of years ago. I can't remember if it was there this year when I went or not. I'm thinking it was.

Tom
Old 09-27-2005, 11:42 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO

So, now you know!
A couple of corrections......Rich Mason lives in Carson City, Nevada. He has owned the SR-2 since 1986 and been vintage racing it ever since. It was the 'original' Purple People Eater car of Jim Jeffords who bought it from Harley Earl. The car was sponsored by Nickey Chevrolet in late 1957-58 period before Jim started racing production Corvettes.

Bill Tower lives in Florida and has the Bill Mitchell red Sr-2 and yes, Richard Fourtier owns the low fin car. He sold Paragon and is retired. I have all three of the above gentleman's contacts as well as John Neas. They are all super Corvette hobby people and love talking about their cars
Dick Robinson in Pennsylvania is a great resourse for info on these cars.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:00 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Jim,
DUUUUUUUUUUH, why did I say Arizona????????????? I know better than that! Yes, he lives in Nevada, especially since I have his home address!
I am leaving in a couple of hours to go to John's house in Tulsa to meet/greet the SACC members who are traveling Route 66, Chicago to Santa Monica. I will be joining with them to drive across Okla tomorrow.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:05 PM
Bill J
Instructor

Is there a schedule of the SAAC caravan? I'd like to meet them as they pass through Albuquerque New Mexico.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:12 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Arrive:
Elk City, OK-Tomorrow night ( Wed 28)-Holiday Inn-580-225-6637
Arrive:
Tucumcari, NM-Thur 29-Holiday Inn-505-461-3780
Arrive:
Gallup, NM-Fri 30- El Rancho-505-863-9311
Arrive:
Williams, AZ-Sat Oct 1 (stay til Sun)-Holidayu Inn-928-635-4114
Arrive:
Needles, CA-Mon 3-Best Western-760-326-4552
Arrive:
Barstow, CA-Tue 4-Holiday Inn-760-256-1300
Arrive:
Santa Monica pier Wed-Oct 5.

There ya go!
Old 09-27-2005, 04:15 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Here are Jim's pics of one of the mighty SR2s!

Get notified of new replies

To Where are the SR2's

Old 09-27-2005, 04:35 PM
Bill J
Instructor

Thanks DZ
Old 09-27-2005, 04:52 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

#1 is at Monterey Historic, 1990 Rich Mason, Carson City, Nevada
enjoying the afternoon. Rich is one of the best friends and people in the hobby. He has gone over backwards to share this and his other cars with all.

#2 is the car at tech in June 1956 at Road America at the June Sprints where the car first raced. Jerry Earl, Harley's son owned and raced Ferraris. GM said it was a bad image to Harley, so the SR-2 was created. Fred Warner from GM was in charge of the tech procedure when the car raced.

#3 is the car as it appeared in Sebring in March 1958 after racer Jim Jeffords purchased it from Harley Earl.

Jim raced the car and then met the Stephani Brothers who owned Nickey Chevrolet. He told them "If you sponsor me I will give you a SCCA Championship or I WILL PAY ALL THE COST " Well Jim did just that in 1958-59 SCCA National Champ B/P Corvette. This picture shows the first of four "PURPLE PEOPLE EATER" Corvettes ( the SR-2, two 58's both still MIA and the Miller Family 59)

Jim's back is to us, and his good buddy and co-driver Auggie Pabst is on the right rear fender.

I am a very lucky guy to personally know all these people.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:04 PM
SebringBill
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimgessner
#1 is at Monterey Historic, 1990 Rich Mason, Carson City, Nevada
enjoying the afternoon. Rich is one of the best friends and people in the hobby. He has gone over backwards to share this and his other cars with all.

#2 is the car at tech in June 1956 at Road America at the June Sprints where the car first raced. Jerry Earl, Harley's son owned and raced Ferraris. GM said it was a bad image to Harley, so the SR-2 was created. Fred Warner from GM was in charge of the tech procedure when the car raced.

#3 is the car as it appeared in Sebring in March 1958 after racer Jim Jeffords purchased it from Harley Earl.

Jim raced the car and then met the Stephani Brothers who owned Nickey Chevrolet. He told them "If you sponsor me I will give you a SCCA Championship or I WILL PAY ALL THE COST " Well Jim did just that in 1958-59 SCCA National Champ B/P Corvette. This picture shows the first of four "PURPLE PEOPLE EATER" Corvettes ( the SR-2, two 58's both still MIA and the Miller Family 59)

Jim's back is to us, and his good buddy and co-driver Auggie Pabst is on the right rear fender.

I am a very lucky guy to personally know all these people.

All of those pics are of the 1st SR-2. (Rich Mason's) There has never been an emblem (other than painted on) on the front of that car. The side cove has always had the Chevy crest with horizontal "wings".

The 2nd SR-2 (Bill Tower's) had/has a 58 style front emblem and has always had FI script in the cove. Bill has owned the SR-2 since the late 70's-early 80s (shortly after he bought GS #5 in 79 - that's when I met him).

Quick Reply: Where are the SR2's