C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Solid Lifter Cold Valve Adjustment Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 08:37 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Default Solid Lifter Cold Valve Adjustment Procedure

I have a BBC with solid lifter cam.
my firing order is: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.
When I set my valve lash COLD I do it this way:

I have a degreed harmonic balancer and start at TDC and adjust BOTH Intake and Exhaust valves for cylinder #1. The I rotate the crank to 90 degrees and set both intake and exhaust for cylinder #8, then to 180degrees and adust both valves for cylinder #4, and so on.

I have noticed that some prefer to do it this way:

when at TDC #1 firing, you adjust intake #7 and exhaust #4
turn crank 90 degrees clockwise (#8 firing). adjust intake #2 and exhaust #3
and so on...

I have been doing this my way for a long time......with no problems. Are the results the same on the adjustments? What is the preferred method....
Old 09-29-2005, 09:32 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

It's hit and miss whether the L-72 cam is on the base circle at TDC of the firing stroke, which is why you should adjust per the 30-30 and LT-1 cam - inlets 90 ATC and exhausts 90 BTC. This way you do two valves at each TDC, but they are not of that cylinder at TDC.

If you e-mail me I will sent you a write-up on the procedure. I can't "factor" the OE lash recommendation for BBs as I have for SBs as I'm still looking for a good data set that allows determination of lash point rocker ratio.

Perhaps you can measure yours. See the nearly companion thread on aluminum head lash adjustment.

Duke

Quick Reply: Solid Lifter Cold Valve Adjustment Procedure