C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Holley carb dumped fuel (common problem)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 03:14 PM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Holley carb dumped fuel (common problem)?

On a cold start this morning I ran onto the following:

1. Cold start in the garage
2. I may have pump the gas pedal 2 or 3 extra times prior to turning the key
3. The car started and I went to close the gararge door
4. I noticed a drip under the car
5. I opened the hood and found a puddle of fuel in the crevice between the intake manifold and valve covers all the way around

I wiped things up until dry and then ran the engine with no recurrance of this.

What happened:

1. Did the float stick?
2. Did the bowl overflow?

Obviosly, I would like to avoid this again.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:48 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Fire Hazard

Seeing as you say the problem cleared itself up my instincts tell me it came from the side tube that delivers fuel to the rear bowl. Easy enough to put new "O" rings in. Another possibility is that one of the floats was temporarily stuck and fuel purged out the vent. I really do not think it could be the accelerator pump diaphram as it would not repair itself. Al W.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:51 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

I was getting puddling from my 600 dp and thought is was fuel lines. Turned out to be leaking at the gasket on the float adjustment nuts. You may want to check these.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:41 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Holleys! Too many places to leak. Love my Q-Jet.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This happened to me as well. It turned out that the rear float was stuck. I unscrewed the sight plug and moved it with a small flat screwdriver. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 67L36Driver
Love my AFB's!

There are indeed too many locations to leak on a Holley (for us to diagnose from afar!). Could be any one of the various gaskets, seals, or O-rings. But the float sticking can also occur.

Recommend keeping an eye on it, and hope it does not happen again (but be prepared to see from where, if it does). Most leaks do not fix themselves!

Plasticman
Old 11-08-2005, 08:50 AM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Strange:

Wiped the mess up. I ran the car for 30+ minutes with no recurrance of the problem.

A few days ago I put some Stabil (may have been old) into the last fill up. I wonder if the Stabil could have caused the float to stick?
Old 11-08-2005, 09:15 AM
sting ry
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Exact thing happened to me on a 396 with a holley carb, except when I turned around, flames were shooting out from under the hood!!!! I would keep a fire extinguisher handy until you find the problem and get it fixed.
Cheers
Steve
Old 11-08-2005, 12:43 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Stabil

Answer to yopur question is "NO". Stabil would not be expected to cause this as it has no properties that would cause a float malfunction. BTW, these products are for the most part a waste of money. It is true that the Ethanol additive fuels we suffer with today do dissipate octane ratings more rapidly than the older compounds we used years ago. The normal length of winter layup does not warrant an additive. It is useful to start up and let run up to operating temperature at least once a month. Store with a topped off fuel tank of a high octane rating and a fresh oil change. JMHO Al W.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:52 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by 67vetteal
It is useful to start up and let run up to operating temperature at least once a month.
Unless you actually take the car out and drive it for ten miles or so to get the oil temperature up, just starting it and letting it run does more harm than good; starting it just generates another condensation cycle on cool-down, and the oil doesn't get hot enough at idle to boil off the condensation and blow-by contaminants from another rich-mixture start cycle - that makes the crankcase more acidic and tends to form sludge. Just change the oil (hot) before you put it away for the winter and leave it alone with nice fresh oil in it until spring.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 67vetteal
Answer to yopur question is "NO". Stabil would not be expected to cause this as it has no properties that would cause a float malfunction. BTW, these products are for the most part a waste of money. JMHO Al W.
Having suffered a 50 gal. tank of gas (in a boat) converting itself into orange jello, I would beg to differ. Was laid up in Sept., and refired in the following April. Have used Stabil ever since, with no issues. Better safe than sorry (as my granny use to say).

Plasticman
Old 11-08-2005, 06:58 PM
gonefishn
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 67L36Driver
Love Q-jets too but those nasty casting plugs can leak gas into the manifold too.

John

Get notified of new replies

To Holley carb dumped fuel (common problem)?

Quick Reply: Holley carb dumped fuel (common problem)?