C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How much lacquer does it take to paint the whole car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 12:25 AM
vref
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much lacquer does it take to paint the whole car?

How much lacquer does it take to paint the whole c2?

1 gallon
2 gallon
???
Old 11-21-2005, 01:10 AM
OldDog58Vette
Burning Brakes

Location: Bonner Springs Kansas... pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. Hay...I know that guy!

lacquer...can you buy lacquer???
Old 11-21-2005, 01:45 AM
livin
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 86 Posts

From what I understand it takes 1 gallon to put on a good coat. Yes you can still buy lacquer.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:53 AM
65convt
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand in some states you need a license to buy it.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:17 AM
vettes1st
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Somewhat depends on color and if you're doing jambs, etc. If a solid color like black, I would buy a minimum of 5 quarts. If a lighter metallic color I would buy a min of 6 quarts. If I was doing this, I would buy 2 gallons. This gives you a little extra in case of a problem or for a touch-up later. You'll need about 5 gallons of thinner to go with it.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:19 AM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

More than 1 gallon. Less than 2 gallons. So you have to buy 2 gallons. Don't believe you can buy quarts, so you don't need to figure out how many more than 1 gallon and less than 2 gallons.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:25 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

I believe I went through 3 gallons of Dupont thinned 150% in Sunfire Yellow. This was probably a little more than normal but it was a complete paint job and I figured on doing a thorough color sanding and buffing, and having a quart or more left over for any accidents. I also used a regular siphon gun. If your using a HVLP gun that should cut it down some.

Dan
Old 11-21-2005, 07:56 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

I have never gotten a car done with anything close to 1 gallon. I would say to buy 2 gallons unless it is a coupe, and then I would have to think seriously about 3 gallons. Like Dan, I tnd to do a lot of color sanding between coats, so this will use more paint. If you painted them like the General did, I am sure You could do it with 1 gallon, but I just can't bring myself to paint that poorly! LOL
The factory put 2 coats on,and didn't even do that great of job down low on the body. I usually end up with 4-6 coats with color sanding between every second coat.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 11-21-2005, 11:37 PM
iniguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by John McGraw
I have never gotten a car done with anything close to 1 gallon. I would say to buy 2 gallons unless it is a coupe, and then I would have to think seriously about 3 gallons. Like Dan, I tnd to do a lot of color sanding between coats, so this will use more paint. If you painted them like the General did, I am sure You could do it with 1 gallon, but I just can't bring myself to paint that poorly! LOL
The factory put 2 coats on,and didn't even do that great of job down low on the body. I usually end up with 4-6 coats with color sanding between every second coat.

Regards, John McGraw
No disrespect intended but with all the hard work to do these cars why use sub-standard paint that goes away in a hurry? It may be cheap, easy to use and original but urethane base coat clear coat will last much longer
Old 11-22-2005, 12:47 AM
vref
Racer

The lacquer on my c2 is 40 years old (original paint) I have just done some touch ups and it still looks great. I want to buy enough lacquer to store it in case I need to paint the whole car in the future. But no BC/CC for my c2, its just not original.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Birdball
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vref
The lacquer on my c2 is 40 years old (original paint) I have just done some touch ups and it still looks great. I want to buy enough lacquer to store it in case I need to paint the whole car in the future. But no BC/CC for my c2, its just not original.

I agree- laquer is really forgiving, easy to blend in for spot repairs, and lasts a really long time. You can pile it on and color sand it out nice and flat. Most BC/CC factory jobs you see from even 10 or 15 years ago are peeled up. That being said, I still painted mine with BC/CC ...
Old 11-22-2005, 12:08 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,946 Likes on 4,785 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

when my dad had his car painted 10 years ago in lacquer he bought 2 gallons of the stuff. after it was painted he has one whole gallon and mabey a quart left. that was to repaint every thing, the doors, hood, and headligth doors were off the car, so they painted everything. hope this helps. and for my 2 cents if you are not going to get your car NCRS judged go with base coat clear coat, you will be happier with the result
Old 11-22-2005, 06:40 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by iniguy
No disrespect intended but with all the hard work to do these cars why use sub-standard paint that goes away in a hurry? It may be cheap, easy to use and original but urethane base coat clear coat will last much longer

Well,
It all depends on the intended usage. If a guy is going to have a car judged, Lacquer is still the absolute best choice. Lacquer is not cheap by any stetch of the imagination, with a gallon of Roman Red costing over $350 a gallon now days! It is not a sub-standard paint, it is simply the correct paint to put on a seroius restoration. It does not go away in a hurry. With proper care, a Lacquer paint job will probably outlast you. My 60 had paint that was almost 30 years old and still looked good, but the fiberglass stress cracks required a complete strip, gelcoat and repaint. I would guess that that car will never see another paint job in my lifetime. These cars are not left out in the elements with birds dumping on them, and grocery carts running into them like they did for the first 20 years of their life, so almost any paint job will live longer than you will. I don't paint all cars with Lacquer, but where it makes sense, I do. My current 59 resto-rod project is painted with single-stage, since it is easier to touch-up and durable, and my daily drivers are painted with BC/CC. It all just depends on how the car is being used.
In any event, the man did not ask my opinion on which paint was best, he asked how much lacquer to buy, and I am not in the habit of interjecting my personal opinion when it is not asked for.
I have been painting cars for over 35 years, and I have some personal opinions on paint, but they change depending on what the intended use of the car is. I do not think that BC/CC is the best choice for all cars anymore than I think lacquer is.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 11-22-2005, 06:42 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Am I correct in thinking that it would take less paint if sprayed with a HVLP gun as opposed to a regular paint gun?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:45 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
when my dad had his car painted 10 years ago in lacquer he bought 2 gallons of the stuff. after it was painted he has one whole gallon and mabey a quart left. that was to repaint every thing, the doors, hood, and headligth doors were off the car, so they painted everything. hope this helps. and for my 2 cents if you are not going to get your car NCRS judged go with base coat clear coat, you will be happier with the result
Any chance this was a gallon of thinned, ready-to-spray lacquer he had left? I can't imagine stretching a gallon of lacquer that far, especially with a regular siphon spray gun. True, GM probably didn't put any more than this on in the first place, but they did have efficient spray booths and bake ovens, and didn't color sand or compound out the finish - only buffed.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:57 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,946 Likes on 4,785 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Any chance this was a gallon of thinned, ready-to-spray lacquer he had left? I can't imagine stretching a gallon of lacquer that far, especially with a regular siphon spray gun. True, GM probably didn't put any more than this on in the first place, but they did have efficient spray booths and bake ovens, and didn't color sand or compound out the finish - only buffed.
the person whp sparyed the car did not have a booth, he does resteration like the factory and reproduces their mistakes and painted the car like they would have done. I am not sure how he did it I just know that info.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:36 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 342 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by iniguy
My 67's paint job was done with lacquer in 1975 and still looks GREAT!!

Get notified of new replies

To How much lacquer does it take to paint the whole car?

Quick Reply: How much lacquer does it take to paint the whole car?