C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Bellhousing repair?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 05:57 PM
Harps
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Bellhousing repair?

Is it possible to have an original alum bellhousing repaired?

I was looking at the gm housing that came off my 67' and it has two small cracks at the very top in the apex of the housing. The longer of the two cracks is about 3/4 of an inch deep. Can these be fixed, or welded? They are not at a bolt location.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:25 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

I have had MANY alum bell housings repaired by welding. Grind down the weld, buff it a little and VERY LIGHTLY blast it. Almost undetectable, and plenty strong.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:04 PM
kidvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done the same repairs on transmission housings also.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:07 AM
Harps
Le Mans Master

After cleaning it up, I got the part number off of it. It's # was 460486 with a larger 2 below that.

Is that a correct housing for a 67 BB?
Old 12-30-2005, 10:13 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

I have good news and bad news (more bad than good).
This housing will bolt up to your engine, it will accept the larger 14in diameter, 168tooth flywheel and an 11in clutch. BUUUUUUUUUUT, this is a truck bell housing (notice that extra bulge around the lower portion of the housing). The problem with the truck housings is the hole in the rear of the housing (where the tranny front bearing retainer fits). That hole is toooooooooooooooooo big. It needs to be the correct size because that is what keeps the tranny correctly centered (NOT the 4 bolts). The hole in the truck housing is about 5 1/8in and you need a housing with a 4 5/8in hole. All is not lost though, there is a way to use the truck housing for car tranny applications. Over on the Chevelle site (TEAM CHEVELLE) there is a guy (don't know his name) who makes an adapter ring to fit the truck housing, thus allowing you to use a car tranny, such as a Muncie.
The housing that you need to locate (for the big flywheel) is a 3899621, 3872444 or 464697. The 444 was used on 66-7 cars and brings a rediculous price. The 621 is considerably more easy to locate and much cheaper. The 697 was a later housing used in the 80s (maybe 90s) and was a service replacement housing. One thing to beware of with the 697 housing. It is an exact clone to the 621 housing, EXCEPT, the boss inside the housing for the fork ball stud is oval shaped instead of round. This allows the hole for the ball stud to be placed at the normal position or at a lower position for certain applications. So, if you locate a 697 housing, check for the position of the ball stud hole.
It would be MUCH cheaper to buy one of those adapter rings from the guy on the Chevelle site than it will be to buy ANY other housing, as long as you are OK with that big bulge on the bottom of the truck housing.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by DZAUTO; 12-30-2005 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Harps
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
I have good news and bad news (more bad than good).
This housing will bolt up to your engine, it will accept the larger 14in diameter, 168tooth flywheel and an 11in clutch. BUUUUUUUUUUT, this is a truck bell housing (notice that extra bulge around the lower portion of the housing). The problem with the truck housings is the hole in the rear of the housing (where the tranny front bearing retainer fits). That hole is toooooooooooooooooo big. It needs to be the correct size because that is what keeps the tranny correctly centered (NOT the 4 bolts). The hole in the truck housing is about 5 1/8in and you need a housing with a 4 5/8in hole. All is not lost though, there is a way to use the truck housing for car tranny applications. Over on the Chevelle site (TEAM CHEVELLE) there is a guy (don't know his name) who makes an adapter ring to fit the truck housing, thus allowing you to use a car tranny, such as a Muncie.
The housing that you need to locate (for the big flywheel) is a 3899621, 3872444 or 464697. The 444 was used on 66-7 cars and brings a rediculous price. The 621 is considerably more easy to locate and much cheaper. The 697 was a later housing used in the 80s (maybe 90s) and was a service replacement housing. One thing to beware of with the 697 housing. It is an exact clone to the 621 housing, EXCEPT, the boss inside the housing for the fork ball stud is oval shaped instead of round. This allows the hole for the ball stud to be placed at the normal position or at a lower position for certain applications. So, if you locate a 697 housing, check for the position of the ball stud hole.
It would be MUCH cheaper to buy one of those adapter rings from the guy on the Chevelle site than it will be to buy ANY other housing, as long as you are OK with that big bulge on the bottom of the truck housing.
Hope this helps.
DZ, man, thanks for that info!!! I am still working on trying to get the Lakewood shield and I am not sure if I'll go back to the alum housing or not. Especially since my old one isn't correct anyway. I may start looking around for one of the 3 above you mentioned too, just to see if I can find something out there that may be reasonably priced.

Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Bellhousing repair?

Quick Reply: Bellhousing repair?