C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Review on the MSD Pro-Billit RTR distributor

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 05:37 PM
newbe60
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Review on the MSD Pro-Billit RTR distributor

MSD has a ready to run (rtr) MSD Pro-billit distributor that went right into my (nom) 1960 327 3 weeks ago.. my old point system has been great for the past 4 years.. got a gift cert. for summit and decided to swap the msd in for next summer. (old one has been stored away).. got lucky and had a nice day here in NY so took her out for about a hour test drive..

three things in my opinion are very clear

1) it starts much faster then the points (today was my 3rd start) felt like EFI(no choke needed started up in freezing temp)

2) it idles much stronger (sounds tougher and stronger in the idle) NO DOUBT about this at all.. much more of 60's car idle

3) it does give the car a bit more pickup in feel in the seat of the pants..at first i thought it was my imagination but when i hit it.. THE CAR FLEW.. and just seemed and sounded stronger..i have driven thousands of miles with the points.. it was not my imagination

I am a points fan.. and think they are reliable and have been great and never have failed me.. but i had to be fair and give my opnion.. my old point distributor was rebuilt 4 years ago and i always used blue streak or delco.. so i always felt my old point system was taken care of.

anyway not bashing points but wanted to let people know it fits right in and installs with no problems except you need new wires that fit the msd system.. next nice day i'll double check all of the above again and let everyone know
Old 01-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Congrats on making it run better, with a successful installation!

Since I am not familar with the MSD/Mallory RTR dist., please advise what it has that makes it different. (IE: I assume a pointless pickup, and has a MSD type output, but does it include a different coil, etc.? Is it the same diameter as a stock Delco dist., did you install different wires and/or plugs, etc.). In other words, please advise what all was changed.

Have you diagnosed the old dist. to determine what might be at fault, such as bushing wear that caused the dwell to wander
(normally only prevlant in a single direction). Has the old dist. been put on a Sun Machine to determine it's condition and curve? Did you verify the new dist. curve to the old one?

Just a caution to others: A new dist can make a difference, but it shouldn't if the old system was in good shape. If it does, there is a reason the old dist. system was failing. Items such as an old coil that has internal leakage (internal wire coils shorting), or a dist. cam that was just plain worn out are hard to diagnose without the proper equipment.

I have a brand new Accel dist. (point type) that a customer said caused her Vette to run terrible (breaking up at high RPM)immediatly upon installation (by someone else). The cause was a poor dist. cam that caused point bounce no matter what points were installed.

I have never seen a MSD type ignition that caused better ignition when everything else was not "right". If the fuel mixture is off, a MSD can help fire it better, but it is a band aid approach. Sometimes we box ourselves into this type situation with the components that we "want" to run (Example: an intake manifold that is less than optimal at the lower RPMs we run on the street). But a stock (even a SHP stock) should not need a MSD dist. for ignition.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 01-07-2006 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:42 PM
CJS
Melting Slicks

Always nice to get an improvement! In this cold air in the Northeast ours cars are picking up about 30 more hp just from the cold air alone!
Old 01-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Formula Outlaw
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having one installed in my 65' 327/365 as we speak, or type. Coil was giving me problems and a buddy I've known since 74' and owns Corvette's West in Sarasota convinced me to try it. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Will let you know what I think of it and any differences when I get it back next week.

I just got the car a month ago, survivor, 58,000 original miles and wanted Tommy to go through it and let me know where I stand with it.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:23 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by newbe60
MSD has a ready to run (rtr) MSD Pro-billit distributor that went right into my (nom) 1960 327 3 weeks ago.. my old point system has been great for the past 4 years.. got a gift cert. for summit and decided to swap the msd in for next summer. (old one has been stored away).. got lucky and had a nice day here in NY so took her out for about a hour test drive..

three things in my opinion are very clear

1) it starts much faster then the points (today was my 3rd start) felt like EFI(no choke needed started up in freezing temp)

2) it idles much stronger (sounds tougher and stronger in the idle) NO DOUBT about this at all.. much more of 60's car idle

3) it does give the car a bit more pickup in feel in the seat of the pants..at first i thought it was my imagination but when i hit it.. THE CAR FLEW.. and just seemed and sounded stronger..i have driven thousands of miles with the points.. it was not my imagination

I am a points fan.. and think they are reliable and have been great and never have failed me.. but i had to be fair and give my opnion.. my old point distributor was rebuilt 4 years ago and i always used blue streak or delco.. so i always felt my old point system was taken care of.

anyway not bashing points but wanted to let people know it fits right in and installs with no problems except you need new wires that fit the msd system.. next nice day i'll double check all of the above again and let everyone know
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I put one of the RTR's from MSD in my 327/32 Ford about 3 years ago. At that time they did not offer one that had the tach drive in it. Do they now offer the tach drive??? I would have put on in the vette back then but did not want to give up the tach. Thanks for your reply.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Default Question

I have a tach drive MSD distributor on the way, not RTR. Question is where do I pick up the vac source? The MSD site says "ported" vac however stock is "manifold" vac. Any one running one of these? Thanks
Old 01-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky65
I have a tach drive MSD distributor on the way, not RTR. Question is where do I pick up the vac source? The MSD site says "ported" vac however stock is "manifold" vac. Any one running one of these? Thanks
Contrary to what MSD says, you really do want "full time" (manifold) vac. Will help it idle better, and stay cooler.

Plasticman
Old 01-08-2006, 07:44 PM
newbe60
Racer

Default The RTR MSD is full time vac

Thye MSD RTR I put in has a full time vacuum advance on the model I bought and it is full time manifold vAcuum .. and i agree it does run cooler.. the model hooks up to the vacuum advace port on my manifold
Old 01-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks.
Tom
Old 01-08-2006, 10:48 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Sky65

How are you going to get the tach to work or are you not concerned about that????

Last edited by 66BlkBB; 01-08-2006 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Forgot to say who I was addressing in note.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:14 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 66BlkBB
Sky65

How are you going to get the tach to work or are you not concerned about that????
It is a tach drive districbutor. It will hook up to my MSD 6AL box. http://www.msdignition.com/dist_11.htm
Old 01-09-2006, 08:09 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Sky65

My error, I read you post as you were getting a non tach drive. I would like to see the RTR come in a tach drive unit if possible. Want to keep the tach in service as I use it rather than the speedometer. Oh well, may never happen. Not enough call for it I suppose.

Get notified of new replies

To Review on the MSD Pro-Billit RTR distributor

Quick Reply: Review on the MSD Pro-Billit RTR distributor