C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Looking for information on BIG Tanks!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 06:55 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Looking for information on BIG Tanks!

I'm trying to figure out how should I mount my new not-yet-fabricated tank to my GS roadster. I thought about the big tanks used on the mid year cars in the past. How were the actually mounted to the frame so that they were still removable without taking the whole body of the frame? Does anyone ahve any information about these tanks? Drawings? Pictures?

Thanks
Old 01-25-2006, 07:19 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

I'm also interested hearing about the fuel lines and how they were routed. As far as I'm aware the tank "wrapped" halfway around the drive shaft creating two separate areas for the fuel, were there two separate fuel outlets?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:01 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Sounds like it is time to buy an AIM.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:34 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Depends which kind of GS you have - stock frame, tube frame, production body shell, D&D shell - all are different. Original N03 tanks weren't mounted to the frame - they were set inside the rear compartment and had two cross-connected outlets. Buy a '65-'66-'67 A.I.M. and look in section N03 for details.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:41 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Depends which kind of GS you have - stock frame, tube frame, production body shell, D&D shell - all are different. Original N03 tanks weren't mounted to the frame - they were set inside the rear compartment and had two cross-connected outlets. Buy a '65-'66-'67 A.I.M. and look in section N03 for details.

Thanks John, I went through the AIM last night and figured out that the big thank was actually mounted the way you said it was. So that option is out the window. Back to the drawing board...

I'm using stock 63 frame with Jeff's roadster body. I need to relocate the tank forward to get the "trunk" working and for better weightbalance.

Thanks guys for the answers. What I'm looking for now is a tank that can be removed from the car without taking the body off the frame to do so...

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for information on BIG Tanks!

Quick Reply: Looking for information on BIG Tanks!