C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1960 vette with missing VIN

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 05:46 PM
brownacc
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 1960 vette with missing VIN

got a pretty much original 1960 vette that was a thief recovery car back in the mid sixty's. vin number was removed when stolen and after recovered was replaced with a new state vin number.

could the car ever have the original vin replaced ?
if the numbers are on the frame could a vin tag be made to dupicate the original ? or will it always be a nice driver ?

No plans to ever sell the car but would be nice to have the proper vin tag back on the car .

http://i1.tinypic.com/mtxmv8.jpg

thanks

Last edited by brownacc; 01-29-2006 at 05:50 PM. Reason: picture
Old 01-29-2006, 07:33 PM
60vett
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, that looks just like my car. You need to go to your DMV ang get a bonded title. Mine has one from the mid 80s. It is a pain in the butt....but makes it legal.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:10 AM
brownacc
Pro

I have a legal title , just wanted to know if i could ever get the real vin tag back on the car ?

car has been givin new vin numbers from the state it was recovered after stolen.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:53 AM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Contact tyour state MVD - in person, not by phone; explain your situation and your plan for loosening the body mounts on the left side (if necessary) and searching for the VIN stamping - ask them WHAT they want you to do with regard to contacting the previous licensing state - establish a contact and let them DRIVE the search......
Old 01-30-2006, 01:50 AM
brownacc
Pro

thank you for your help.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:15 PM
JAMES69
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 63 SWC with a NY assigned VIN. It was also stolen and recovered in the 60's. From the checking I did here in Mass, its almost impossible to get the old VIN re-assigned. I was able to get the vin # from my frame, but only if you can get a copy of the title with the original VIN # on it (from a prior owner), you might have a chance. Replacement tags can be obtained, but require the proper documentation to get them (at least legally). Try doing a search on the forum, lots of prior discussion around the topic. Perhaps your state has different requirements.

Jim
Old 01-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Originally Posted by brownacc
got a pretty much original 1960 vette that was a thief recovery car back in the mid sixty's. vin number was removed when stolen and after recovered was replaced with a new state vin number.

could the car ever have the original vin replaced ?
if the numbers are on the frame could a vin tag be made to dupicate the original ? or will it always be a nice driver ?

No plans to ever sell the car but would be nice to have the proper vin tag back on the car .

http://i1.tinypic.com/mtxmv8.jpg

thanks
There is a Company that can make an excact Vin Plate copy for your Vette..

You'll need to prove with current documents that the Vin is Real and you own the car and provide pictures and copies of the documents.

Go Here and call them and speak with them.. they'll give you the info you need.

http://www.datatags.com/

Old 01-30-2006, 10:35 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Viet Nam Vett
There is a Company that can make an excact Vin Plate copy for your Vette..

You'll need to prove with current documents that the Vin is Real and you own the car and provide pictures and copies of the documents.

Go Here and call them and speak with them.. they'll give you the info you need.

http://www.datatags.com/

I have had him make me VIN tags before, with all the proper state required documentation, and he does nice work. The problem is that the original title has already been replaced with one bearing the state-issued VIN tag. There is no way that I am aware of, to return the original VIN# and title to the car. That old title no longer exists anymore, and the VIN tag without the title would be useless. As a matter of fact, you will find that this gentelman will not even consider making a new tag for you unless you can supply a copy of a title that has this VIN on it, and an affadavit from a law enforcement officer in your state that he has viewed one of the alternate VIN stampings
(either engine stamp, or frame stamp), and that that stamp matches the VIN on the title. I can tell you for a fact that this requirement is not negotiable with him. The state-issued VIN will not hurt you at judging, but it sometimes will hurt the reasle value on the car, but I don't think that there is any way to get an original GM VIN back on the car.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 01-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Originally Posted by John McGraw
I have had him make me VIN tags before, with all the proper state required documentation, and he does nice work. The problem is that the original title has already been replaced with one bearing the state-issued VIN tag. There is no way that I am aware of, to return the original VIN# and title to the car. That old title no longer exists anymore, and the VIN tag without the title would be useless. As a matter of fact, you will find that this gentelman will not even consider making a new tag for you unless you can supply a copy of a title that has this VIN on it, and an affadavit from a law enforcement officer in your state that he has viewed one of the alternate VIN stampings
(either engine stamp, or frame stamp), and that that stamp matches the VIN on the title. I can tell you for a fact that this requirement is not negotiable with him. The state-issued VIN will not hurt you at judging, but it sometimes will hurt the reasle value on the car, but I don't think that there is any way to get an original GM VIN back on the car.

Regards, John McGraw
Yep John .. Your 100% correct.. I didn't read the post carefully.. I know someone that used him and they had to supply everthing you mentioned above.

So you are correct.. with out the title showing the orignal vin..it's a no go.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:25 AM
brownacc
Pro

thank you everyone for the info.
i guess i will have to keep it asis.
thank you all very much !!
Old 01-31-2006, 07:29 AM
achapman
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Viet Nam Vett
Yep John .. Your 100% correct.. I didn't read the post carefully.. I know someone that used him and they had to supply everthing you mentioned above.

So you are correct.. with out the title showing the orignal vin..it's a no go.
That's not necessarily true. Most states did not have Titles back in the sixties. Massachusetts didn't, not sure when other states enacted titles. Some states, like New Hampshire do not require titles on older cars, I believe over 10 years old. A friend of mine has a 63 1/2 Ford Galaxie with the 427 "R" motor. The car was stolen many years ago, and had a re-issued VIN tag. While doing a complete frame off resto he contacted a lawyer because he had the original paper work with the VIN number on it. The lawyer was able to get the original VIN re-issued back with the car, the cost was about $300, and the car now has it's complete pedigree back where it belongs.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:02 PM
vetteman64
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 63 Posts

Default replacing missing VIN tag

Just a thought but if a VIN tag is replaced on a previously stolen car (that currently has a new state issued VIN tag), won't the corrected VIN reflect as stolen in some database/archive when its time to register/re-register? How or when are stolen car databases changed, if ever. The C3 in the news recently that was stolen 30+ years ago, showed up as stolen prior to export and returned to the owner who lost it, comes to mind.
C Ya, Joseph Rock
Frankenstein 59
Old 01-31-2006, 06:08 PM
achapman
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman64
Just a thought but if a VIN tag is replaced on a previously stolen car (that currently has a new state issued VIN tag), won't the corrected VIN reflect as stolen in some database/archive when its time to register/re-register? How or when are stolen car databases changed, if ever. The C3 in the news recently that was stolen 30+ years ago, showed up as stolen prior to export and returned to the owner who lost it, comes to mind.
C Ya, Joseph Rock
Frankenstein 59
It might vary from state to state, but a re-issued VIN on titles here in Massachusetts will state that it is a re-issue, and the State Police here will check the stolen database to see if indeed the original VIN is showing up as stolen. If it is they will change it to reflect the current status. After my friend spent $300 to get his original VIN re-issued, he figures it added a good $15 to $25K to the value of the car.

As for the car that was stolen 30+ years ago, the original VIN was out there as stolen/never recovered. That's how they were able to verify it was originally stolen. The was a more indept story on that car and the Customs Officers checked the frame VIN.... Kudos for those boys....
Old 02-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Joel 67
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Aren't the tags on '60s spot welded to the column? If so, how would you re-spot weld it?
Old 02-01-2006, 02:30 PM
1COOL60
Burning Brakes

Location: Emporia, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, KS
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel Falk
Aren't the tags on '60s spot welded to the column? If so, how would you re-spot weld it?
The early ones like mine had them attached to the driver's side door pillar with two screws. Later in the model year (I don't remember approximately when) they were spot welded to the steering column.

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 vette with missing VIN

Quick Reply: 1960 vette with missing VIN