C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Replacement VIN tag

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 01:47 PM
B. Nicely
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement VIN tag

Where can I get a replacement VIN tag for my 1962 'Vette?
Old 02-06-2006, 02:01 PM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

datatags.com
Old 02-06-2006, 02:51 PM
northern
Instructor

You may run into problems buying a replacement VIN tag. Changing Trim Tags appears to be legal in most jurisdictions. But VIN tags are another matter.

Removing or replacing a VIN tag may be illegal. Even advertising them on ebay or elsewhere is frowned upon. You might want to check with your DMV or police on this.

The common procedure in the case of a car with a missing VIN tag is for the authorities to issue a new VIN # that has no relation to the old one and does not sound like a Corvette number.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:15 PM
achapman
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of our club memebers bought a mid-year Vette that had a replacement state issued VIN number. The car had been stolen and subsequently recovered and issued a new VIN number. The current owner was able to locate the VIN number on the frame, photograph it, document and verify that it was correct to the car thru the insurance company that recovered the car. Because most states did not have titles back in the 60's he asked an attorney if it was possible to get the car's original VIN put back on the vehicle. Upon assembling all of the documents, the attorney was able to get the DMV to agree to re-issuing the original VIN back to the car. The attorney sited the fact that the value of the car would significantly increase, and the was the primary reason for re-issuing the original VIN back on the car. The attorney charged him $300 and the DMV was $50 for a new title. I am sure the owner's Vette immediately increased in value $10 to $15K. Good Luck.....

http://www.datatags.com/
Old 02-06-2006, 03:40 PM
SolidAxle
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From other post today:

In 1996 I used a company called Chevy Craft USA in Lubbock Texas (806) 747-4848. I spoke with a guy named Bill. These folks made an exact replacement tag for my lost '61's. For $25 they sent me an application packet that required me to obtain verification of VIN from a law enforcement official. Usually your state inspection station can provide such verification... at least in Ohio they do. I'm not sure what the final cost was to Chevy Craft but around $500 sticks in my mind. I don't know if they are still doing this service but they did a great job for me.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:43 AM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was able to accomplish the same thing here in Florida. The down side is that you cannot have the car judged at an NCRS meet. I had a long protracted discussion with Roy Sinor about this very issue. He was unwavering in his statement that NCRS will not judge the car no matter how much documentation I have with the car including removing the body to reveal the confidential numbers. His reasoning was "we are trying to prevent auto theft". I did not realize that was the function of the NCRS and stated so. Ti seems to me that with the docs I have for my car it could be judged and if need be, pronounce a repro vin tag on the judging sheet just like the repro engines in all those big blocks. He also told me that the State of Florida may fall for the repro VIN tag nonsense but in Oklahoma the DMV people are trained to recognize fake vin tags. Pretty impressive huh?
Old 02-07-2006, 10:26 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by kenEDMUNDS
I was able to accomplish the same thing here in Florida. The down side is that you cannot have the car judged at an NCRS meet. I had a long protracted discussion with Roy Sinor about this very issue. He was unwavering in his statement that NCRS will not judge the car no matter how much documentation I have with the car including removing the body to reveal the confidential numbers. His reasoning was "we are trying to prevent auto theft". I did not realize that was the function of the NCRS and stated so. Ti seems to me that with the docs I have for my car it could be judged and if need be, pronounce a repro vin tag on the judging sheet just like the repro engines in all those big blocks. He also told me that the State of Florida may fall for the repro VIN tag nonsense but in Oklahoma the DMV people are trained to recognize fake vin tags. Pretty impressive huh?
So....

How are they going to know if it is a replacement or not if it is a correct tag format?

Doug
Old 02-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Black60
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chappy:
Was that a MA situation?
My Dad's '56 has a replacement tag from CT. Cheesy looking thing. Be great to get the correct tag from the numbers off the frame.

I too would gladly spring for the legal assist.

Best Regards,
Ralph
Old 02-07-2006, 02:58 PM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

If you read Al Grennings/Roy Sinors book on trim/vin tags, they show you the differences in original and repro. Every original vin tag has an annomaly which the repro tags do not.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:09 PM
achapman
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Black60
Chappy:
Was that a MA situation?
My Dad's '56 has a replacement tag from CT. Cheesy looking thing. Be great to get the correct tag from the numbers off the frame.

I too would gladly spring for the legal assist.

Best Regards,
Ralph
If you have documentation on the real VIN number Massachusetts will infact re-issue the original VIN and update the title to reflect the correct VIN. The main reason they allow this to be done is because Massachusetts did not have titles in the 60's and it is well understood that the VIN numbers for a midyear Corvette are on the frame, providing the car has at least one "other" document (Bill of Sale) with the correct VIN number on it and the frame is original. The Mass State Police ran the original VIN number and it came back clear, and they re-issued the VIN back to the car. Not sure about other states, but I have heard of this being done in NH and NY....
Old 02-07-2006, 06:32 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Ken,
You are incorrect about having to have the original VIN tag on a car to have it judged at a NCRS event. You may have a car judged that has a replacement tag on it without any penalty since the VIN tag has no points associated with it. Even a big old ugly state issued VIN tag will suffice. I have never known of anyone who has had their VIN tag scrutinized for whether it was original, but trim tags, now that is a different story. Both of the companies metioned above, can make replacement C1 VIN tags good enough that even a sharp-eyed judge would not give them a second look. In my Judging guide it clearly states to check for the tag, but not to judge it. As long as you have a VIN tag and it matches the title, then you are pretty much good to go.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 02-07-2006, 06:48 PM
SolidAxle
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
So....

How are they going to know if it is a replacement or not if it is a correct tag format?

Doug

Mine passed with no questions. It is identical to the original.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:11 AM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

John, they will judge a state issued foil vin tag but will not judge a reproduction vin tag. I have watched Roy Sinor bounce cars at the Florida Regional meet for repro vin tags. One was a good friends 67 427 original motor coupe. We showed them the documentation from the FBI that showed the FBI removing the tags. No dice. The Tag judges carry around a stack of repro tags and love to show you the different itterations of them as they smile and pronounce your car a lump of crap that does not meet their holier than thou "we are preventing auto theft" attitude. If you get a chance to look at Al Grennings/Roy Sinors book on trim and vin tags, it is interesting and informative. They have done great work on this subject and am in no way demeaning their ability or integrity-just the NCRS policy and attitude.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:20 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Doesn't Al Greening's book only address mid year tags? The C1 tags appear more primitive, especially pre-1960, and as such, subject to wider variation. I think John was referencing C1 tags.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:32 PM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

You may be right. I am not up on c-1 stuff although i did buy a vin tag for a 56 last year. I am sure the tag guys will figure those out very soon as well. It a shame as so many of those tags fell off the column and the door jambs.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:03 PM
B. Nicely
Cruising

Default 62 VIN Replacement

Originally Posted by vintagecorvette
datatags.com
Thanks! I got a quote from datatags for $195 if the VIN on the frame was the same as on the title which it is. Many thanks for all the replys.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:09 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

I looked at my copy of Al Greening/Roy Sinor's "Authentication Library, Volume One, GM Issued 193-1967 Corvette Trim Tags" book today. Like I remembered, it only deals with mid-year trim tags; nothing to do with any VIN tags, even mid-years.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement VIN tag

Quick Reply: Replacement VIN tag