C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need QUICK TIMELY reply on NCRS #

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 09:07 PM
trw58c1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need QUICK TIMELY reply on NCRS #

I have a chance to buy a set of heads for my '58 vette with cast of #37488770 which the NCRS book says are correct for all '58 283ci vettes, period. It is the only # listed for '58 and not any other year. I have another guy who has a set of heads with cast of #3731539 which he claims were used on '58 vettes. The NCRS book says they were used on '57 283HP FI vettes ONLY. It is not listed for any other year. He claims he knows better than the book (I used NCRS Pocket Spec Guide) and that the NCRS book is all wet and has been since he's done this stuff for 30+ years. Both head sets have X58 on the side. The 770 heads are twice the price but I'm going to make at least the motor in my car correct since I'm going to get it redone anyway. I highly doubt he's right but it's worth asking the question. I know, # again!
Old 02-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,993 Likes on 4,810 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

don't know the numbers, nor do have books that tell me what there are. but the NCRS manual has yet to let me down on what is the correct numbers for parts
Old 02-10-2006, 09:32 PM
jerrybramlett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 288 Likes on 121 Posts

Forget it. Do your own research.

Last edited by jerrybramlett; 02-10-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:09 PM
trw58c1
Racer

Originally Posted by jerrybramlett
The 539 heads were also used on all 283 '57 Chevy passenger cars with 4 barrel carbs. They're not rare at all. However, I've never seen them used on a '58 anything.

But why in the hell would you even consider my opinion (or that of any other yahoo you meet over the internet) when you have the NCRS spec book right there in front of you?
I'm not looking for anyone's opinion for we all have them. I'm looking for someone to verify the fact that what some consider the "bible" is correct for I'm sure there are other sources. There are members here such as JohnZ who is a class act and freely shares his vast knowledge with all and one of the few that I would consider a disagreeing opinion as relevant. I'm sorry if I haven't grown up to be a mistrusting cynical person but it's not my style and never will be. Just because you get screwed a few times in life doesn't mean everyone is out to get you. I actually used real time communication skills with this person and I couldn't conclude that he didn't believe what he was saying wasn't fact. Thanks for your reply.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Cruiser62
Advanced

Default Corvette by the Numbers

Another source book (Corvette by the Numbers, pgs 128, 132) agrees with the NCRS book. The 770 head was used in 58, and the 539 head was used in 57. Not an expert, just using a reference that I've found to be good in the past.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:35 PM
scotty67
Advanced

Default Why not post this on the NCRS board?

The NCRS.Org site would be the best place if you want NCRS advice or confirmation, IMHO.

Scott
Old 02-10-2006, 11:12 PM
project63
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by trw58c1
I'm not looking for anyone's opinion for we all have them. I'm looking for someone to verify the fact that what some consider the "bible" is correct for I'm sure there are other sources. There are members here such as JohnZ who is a class act and freely shares his vast knowledge with all and one of the few that I would consider a disagreeing opinion as relevant. I'm sorry if I haven't grown up to be a mistrusting cynical person but it's not my style and never will be. Just because you get screwed a few times in life doesn't mean everyone is out to get you. I actually used real time communication skills with this person and I couldn't conclude that he didn't believe what he was saying wasn't fact. Thanks for your reply.

Psst... Terry. I love JohnZ as much as anybody else on the board but there are quite a few others around who are pretty dang good too. Jerry B is one such person. He provided you the answer you needed and you dissed him because he asked you a logical question. The fact that he laced some sarcasism into the responce shouldn't bother you.

Think about it dude. You have the book with the correct number in your hand. You gonna trust an "unknown" party if they say otherwise? If JohnZ is the only person you want to answer your question, just email him directly.

The nice thing about this forum (or others) is that if somebody is dishing out bad information.. somebody will jump in to debate the issue.

Last edited by project63; 02-10-2006 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:19 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,993 Likes on 4,810 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by project63
The nice thing about this forum (or others) is that if somebody is dishing out bad information.. somebody will jump in to debate the issue.

I found that out the hard way I posted some info I thought I knew, but it truns out I was wrong and a couple of other memebrs were quick to point out my mistake. I leaned something new that day.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:34 PM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Jerrybramlett,
I prefered your original comment. Straight and to the point and honest like it should be.

oWEN

trw58c1,

Jerrybramlett knows his stuff. He as asset to this board like the rest of the Crew. He just does not candy coat the answers.

Last edited by vintagecorvette; 02-10-2006 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:05 AM
Joel 67
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vintagecorvette
Jerrybramlett knows his stuff. He as asset to this board like the rest of the Crew. He just does not candy coat the answers.
I agree.

TRW, I think you are the one who needs the chill pill.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:55 AM
trw58c1
Racer

Psst... Terry. I love JohnZ as much as anybody else on the board but there are quite a few others around who are pretty dang good too. Jerry B is one such person. He provided you the answer you needed and you dissed him because he asked you a logical question. The fact that he laced some sarcasism into the responce shouldn't bother you.

Think about it dude. You have the book with the correct number in your hand. You gonna trust an "unknown" party if they say otherwise? If JohnZ is the only person you want to answer your question, just email him directly.

Sorry to all for the offensive remark which must have hit a nerve. It's what I don't like about emails. I felt whipped for asking a simple question and will defer in the future. I have communicated with JohnZ and some others with private emails in the past. I didn't mean to slight any other members intellect in this area so I apologize. There are many who post here who have valuable information and are willingly share it with all. I do not have a book but seen it at a dealer I stopped at but will make sure I get one. In the future I will do more reading and less typing.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:07 AM
trw58c1
Racer

Please accept my apology. It is all I have to offer.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:08 AM
trw58c1
Racer

Originally Posted by Joel Falk
I agree.

TRW, I think you are the one who needs the chill pill.
Comment accepted.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:13 AM
trw58c1
Racer

Originally Posted by Cruiser62
Another source book (Corvette by the Numbers, pgs 128, 132) agrees with the NCRS book. The 770 head was used in 58, and the 539 head was used in 57. Not an expert, just using a reference that I've found to be good in the past.
Thanks -
Old 02-11-2006, 10:19 AM
trw58c1
Racer

Originally Posted by vintagecorvette
Jerrybramlett,
I prefered your original comment. Straight and to the point and honest like it should be.

oWEN

trw58c1,

Constructive? I apologized. Just feel gang raped but it's OK, I must have deserved it.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:42 AM
project63
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Appreciate the humility Terry. I don't think this was intended to be a dogpile, but Jerry has help many us out in the past.

The words we write can sometimes be interpreted differently than we meant. It's much easier to capture a persons intended message when we can hear the voice and read the body lanquage but hey, enough on the semantic sermon... lets talk about Corvettes..
Old 02-11-2006, 11:01 AM
63C2splitter
CF Senile Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

The words we write can sometimes be interpreted differently than we meant. It's much easier to capture a persons intended message when we can hear the voice and read the body lanquage but hey, enough on the semantic sermon... lets talk about Corvettes..

p.s. Project63 - I live about 20 miles from Towanda (Valley Center). I assume you have a 63? Coupe for Vert?

Get notified of new replies

To Need QUICK TIMELY reply on NCRS #

Old 02-11-2006, 11:21 AM
jerrybramlett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 288 Likes on 121 Posts

Default The truth: I am thin-skinned.

Originally Posted by trw58c1
Please accept my apology. It is all I have to offer.
Your apology is certainly accepted, but I also realize my response was not as polite as it should have been. Here's what I should have said.

The NCRS spec guide was first distributed to members in 1989. A whole lot of work went into it. Since then, many smart people have questioned, re-investigated, and debated the information it contains. However, I can't give you a single example of a glaring error that has been found. The corrections over the years have been more like clarifications of documented assembly line abnormalities. A mistake on the order of a completely incorrect cylinder head casting number... well, I just haven't heard of anything like that.

A 539 cylinder head is not rare in my opinion. Finding any 770 casting is pretty unusual. A matched pair of 770 castings that haven't been ported, decked excessively, had larger valves installed, or had the mounting holes chipped from over-use, is extremely rare.

I really do appreciate the kind words posted by you others. Most days I'm not sure if my own family is listening to me at the dinner table. It's very good to know some of you read and appreciate my posts on the internet.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 565 Likes on 350 Posts

I really do appreciate the kind words posted by you others. Most days I'm not sure if my own family is listening to me at the dinner table. It's very good to know some of you read and appreciate my posts on the internet.
I always enjoy reading your posts, Jerry. More importantly, I LEARN a lot from reading them.

You've forgotten more about Corvettes than I ever knew.

Didn't see you in Orlando/Kissimmee. Did you go? Chuck
Old 02-11-2006, 12:17 PM
win1876
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your apology is certainly accepted, but I also realize my response was not as polite as it should have been. Here's what I should have said.

The NCRS spec guide was first distributed to members in 1989. A whole lot of work went into it. Since then, many smart people have questioned, re-investigated, and debated the information it contains. However, I can't give you a single example of a glaring error that has been found. The corrections over the years have been more like clarifications of documented assembly line abnormalities. A mistake on the order of a completely incorrect cylinder head casting number... well, I just haven't heard of anything like that.

A 539 cylinder head is not rare in my opinion. Finding any 770 casting is pretty unusual. A matched pair of 770 castings that haven't been ported, decked excessively, had larger valves installed, or had the mounting holes chipped from over-use, is extremely rare.

Well Said Jerry!

Quick Reply: Need QUICK TIMELY reply on NCRS #