C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Cassic air vs Vintage air in C2

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 09:22 PM
splidecision63
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cassic air vs Vintage air in C2

I am going to put a/c in my 66 in a month or so. I want it to look original and blow really cold air. Friends tell me Vintage air is the best, but I remember someone on the forum saying Classic air was the best. I should have paid more attention to the threads, but at the time I had no attention on putting a/c in my 66.
Please give me your thought on both a/c's.
Thanks Geroge
Old 02-16-2006, 09:53 PM
Realtor-Bob
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey George,

I put Vintage on mine and it blows cold air but, I got to tell ya the installation is a real challenge. The evaporator outlets come out at an angle (toward the battery) and the hoses have to make these weird-azz turns right over top of the battery. If you ever have to change a battery ( I know that will never happen ) you have to disconnect everything and loose your refrigerant charge - OR - move the friggin battery!

If I had to do it all again, I'd go with Classic for sure. For that reason alone if no other

Have fun!

Bob
Old 02-16-2006, 10:20 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Realtor-Bob
If I had to do it all again, I'd go with Classic for sure. For that reason alone if no other

Bob
Go with Classic Auto Air. I installed this system in my 67 Coupe last year. The company is great to work with. There were a few problems that they corrected immediately. Installation is not that hard. Took me about 30 hours (if I did it again I know it would be less time). Check out this link to my post on installation (with pictures). http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...um_id=4&arch=1
Good luck with your project. You will not regret adding A/C. Changing the battery will be a challenge. I installed a new one with the A/C. I think I could change it fairly easily by unbolting the compressor and moving it out of the way with the hoses connected.
Roy
Old 02-16-2006, 10:25 PM
stepinwolf
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Classic's is the way to go

I have installed both type of systems many, many times in the past and I must recommend the unit from Classic's. There are many reasons ( too many for this Forum check the archives) but quality, and hassle free installation are the principal reasons.

The previous post from Realtor Bob addresses the cramped area around the battery, but he forgot to mention that with Classic, not only is there twice the space in the fender well area, but they do not use an exterior heater box cover, so the firewall being completely flat, affords the much needed space for the assorted hoses.

Also worth mentioning is the " Perfit Fit " expression that Vintage uses in their ads, is only in their minds. If I were to write down all the descrepincies in the assemble manual that I noticed during an installation, I would have enough material to write a second chapter.

Stepinwolf
Old 02-16-2006, 11:34 PM
Vipermike
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed an Old Air Products system in my '63 Vette several years ago and was very impressed with it. Their system included a complete battery relocating kit (even included the battery cables and washer fluid bag) to move the battery to the driver's side like the factory air setup.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:59 AM
my58
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out hot rod air
www.hotrodair.com

Many previous posts have nice things to say about there product.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:10 AM
rickjaffe
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default vintage vs classic

I had a/c put into my car about three years ago. I used the guys in florida which I think is classic.
I looked at vintage, but for me it was an easy and straight cost decision. the classic wanted 1200. vintage was over 2k. seemed like the same system. classic figured about 20 hours installation, and that's what my corvette place (corvettes of houston) charged me for.

neither look original since they don't cut the dash to put in the vent.
had some problems; hot water was eliminating the cooling; after a cut off valve was installed the system worked perfectly and has for the past three years. In houston, not having a/c is not an option with a coupe. no overheating problems. all in all a very worthwhile investment.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:25 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

for what it's worth, I evaluated a number of systems for an install in my '65 coupe.
Came down to the Classic Auto Air and the Vintage Air. I've decided on the Classic Auto air system for a few reasons that may or may not make much difference to you but they made me feel more comfortable choosing the CAA.

1. CAA uses mechanical cable operated valves in the heater box to direct airflow where the VA uses vacuum controlled valves.

2. CAA supplies as part of their "kit" an aux cooling fan for the radiator to help keep engine temps down. This is an extra cost option on the VA system.

3. CAA supplies directional vents to control airflow out of the vents on the radio side panels but I believe on the VA air system there are not part of the kit. This is a minor thing but it's nice to be able to control the direct of the airflow to direct more or less air on you. Of course this isn't really an issue for you since you don't have the same vents on your C1 as on the C2's.

4. The CAA was a little less expensive I think

If i recall these were the major differences that allowed me to choose the system.

I have no doubt that whichever system you choose will work fine.
good luck!
Old 02-19-2006, 09:06 AM
stepinwolf
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Number three's the one to watch

Barry , you are right on the numbers with your # 3 statement. I figure more then 60% of the cold air that exits the VA system, does so by the radio side vents. However contrary to the unit from Classic, you can't direct the air, nor reduce the output, so most of the cooling goes directly between the seats, and into the rear storage area. In my present ride I have a VA unit, and when travelling, I must use my cap, map, or what ever else I can get my hands on to divert and re-direct the cold air to the driver/passenger area.

Quite an inconvience.

Stepinwolf

Get notified of new replies

To Cassic air vs Vintage air in C2

Quick Reply: Cassic air vs Vintage air in C2