C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Replacing gas tank filler neck gasket - Need advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 09:34 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Replacing gas tank filler neck gasket - Need advice please.

When I top off my gas tank it leaks around the filler neck gasket till I run the level down below it. I decided to replace the filler neck gasket and figured it to be a simple job (until I tried to remove the filler neck).

I can easily get to the lower bolts and the bolts going up around the side of the radius. When I get to the bolts around the top of the radius I can't get a screwdriver on them. Any suggestions how to get these bolts out would be appreciated. I sure hope I do not have to loosen and move the tank.
Thanks, Roy
Old 03-02-2006, 09:40 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I just put a new tank and filler neck in my 65 coupe. My tank was loose but in order to get to the upper neck bolts I stuck my small hand into the body, then lifted the tank up a bit to tilt the front of the tank towards me. That allowed me to get to those bolts.

It's a relative easy job if the tank isn't bolted in yet because you can move it around to gain better access to the neck bolts.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Chrisintampa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

loosen the straps - you dont have to drop the tank, you just need to be able to rock it up a little.

the other issue that maybe you havent thought of is when you go to put those little bolts back in, you will be pointing straight down, and the bolts will fall right out of the socket. make sure you either have a magnet to keep the bolts in place, OR use a little rtv on the bolt heads. that will keep it in the socket long enought to get it in.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:31 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Chrisintampa
loosen the straps - you dont have to drop the tank, you just need to be able to rock it up a little.

the other issue that maybe you havent thought of is when you go to put those little bolts back in, you will be pointing straight down, and the bolts will fall right out of the socket. make sure you either have a magnet to keep the bolts in place, OR use a little rtv on the bolt heads. that will keep it in the socket long enought to get it in.
Thanks for the advice. I still have the spare tire tub out from doing the differential work recently. I'll loosen the straps ang give it a try.
Thanks again, Roy
Old 03-03-2006, 07:22 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I would use a little gas-resistant sealer on the gasket to prevent the leaks you are experiencing. Although I had a new tank and worked the filler neck flange over to get it as flat as possible I still had some weeping. I finally used two gaskets with Permatex between them, the tank and the filler flange. So good so far.

Dan
Old 03-03-2006, 09:45 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I would use a little gas-resistant sealer on the gasket to prevent the leaks you are experiencing. Although I had a new tank and worked the filler neck flange over to get it as flat as possible I still had some weeping. I finally used two gaskets with Permatex between them, the tank and the filler flange. So good so far.

Dan
Good suggestion Dan (thanks), I'll use my favorite sealer, Permatex The Right Stuff.
Roy

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing gas tank filler neck gasket - Need advice please.

Quick Reply: Replacing gas tank filler neck gasket - Need advice please.