C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What's the trick to install speedo/tach cable grommet

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 06:53 PM
longbros
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What's the trick to install speedo/tach cable grommet

I bought a new grommet for the speedometer cable and the tach cable from Ecklers, as mine were gone on my 64. The problem is, I can't seem to get the grommet over the end of the cable. I have tried stretching it and lubricating it, but I just can't make it fit. Is there a trick to this that I am not seeing? Also, the holes in the firewall are roughly 1" in diameter, but the rather hard part of the grommet that needs to go in those holes is significantly larger than 1". Again, is there a trick here that I am misssing? Any help or previous experience would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Fred
Old 03-05-2006, 07:50 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

I sliced the grommet from the hole[s] to the outer edge[s]. Then I put the grommet around the cables. I don't remember exactly how I got the grommet in but as I recall it was not fun. I might have used a dull flat head screwdriver to help it along. I might have pulled it in from inside the car car by grabbing it with a pair of pliers but don't remember.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:57 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I just installed a new grommet on my 67 Coupe. After trying to do it from under the hood (totally unsucssfull) , I pulled the instrument cluster and did it from the inside (and it was still hard) the only way I could get it in was to lube it with some poly bushing lube amd slowly work it in place using a flat blade screw driver. It was a lot of work for a $3.00 part. My grommet was slit at the holes to fit it over the speedo and tach cable.
Roy

Last edited by 67-427ci; 03-05-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:16 PM
longbros
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the reply guys. My cluster is out, so it looks like I will slit the grommets, and then work them with screw drivers and pliers from both sides most likely. You are correct, a lot of work in a tight space for such an inexpensive part.
Fred
Old 03-05-2006, 08:37 PM
JohnFromVentura
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I recently installed one on my 67. What a knuckle scraping SOB. After trying to finessing it in with small screw drivers and blades I gave up and crammed it in with a couple of large blade screw drivers and gave it a slight twist...perfect!
Old 03-06-2006, 11:32 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Some time ago I described the long cone-shaped metal tool we used in the plants that we slipped over the ferrule, lubed with dish soap, and pushed through the speedo grommet; one of the forum members made what I described out of wood for his project, and it worked fine. Photo of his tool below.
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2006, 05:44 PM
longbros
Burning Brakes

Well, I slit the grommet and lubricated it with soap, and went to work trying to work it into place. An hour later, the grommet was completely destroyed, as was my patience. So, one step forward, two steps back. Guess I will order another grommet and try it again. Maybe next time I will have a couple of beers before I begin that task! It can't hurt.
Fred
Old 03-06-2006, 06:48 PM
JohnFromVentura
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

You might also try removing the burr on both sides of the hole with an Exacto knife!
Old 03-06-2006, 07:31 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by longbros
Well, I slit the grommet and lubricated it with soap, and went to work trying to work it into place. An hour later, the grommet was completely destroyed, as was my patience. So, one step forward, two steps back. Guess I will order another grommet and try it again. Maybe next time I will have a couple of beers before I begin that task! It can't hurt.
Fred
The only way I was able to get my grommet in was to use a heavy lube for poly bushings. It is super slippery, sticky and does not come off easy. Soap and silicone spray did not work for me. Just my $.02 worth. Good luck with getting it in. You have my sympathy. It's a real PIA.
Roy
Old 03-07-2006, 09:00 AM
jackhays
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grommet to death!

I have the same problem and have already destroyed one grommet.
I don't think these are really the correct parts.
I called the vendor I bought them from and pointed out that the hole for the speedo cable in the firewall and the grommet are almost a third inch different.
They said that was what most people used and they did not carry what came out.
What came out of mine was smaller, had a washer molded inside with three metal tabs to bend and hold it against the firewall.
I called J.P..... and was told they only had used ones and could find me one for $55!
No way.
I'll re-installl the original one and silicone seal it from the inside.
Why does no one make the correct grommet?
Old 03-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhays
I called the vendor I bought them from and pointed out that the hole for the speedo cable in the firewall and the grommet are almost a third inch different.
What came out of mine was smaller, had a washer molded inside with three metal tabs to bend and hold it against the firewall.
I called J.P..... and was told they only had used ones and could find me one for $55!
No way.

Better still, why want someone invent a method to clamp or screw the grommet to the firewall for those interested in sealing the interior and are not worried about originality? There should be a simple solution!
Old 03-07-2006, 11:23 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

The correct grommets are not hard to find (Doc Rebuild has them), and you don't need to slit them or otherwise bugger them up if you rig up something like the tool I posted the photo of up above.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:41 PM
longbros
Burning Brakes

No way.
I totally agree! There was no grommet on my speedometer cable, but the grommet that was on what appeared to be the original tach cable was just as you described. The grommet was much thinner, and had three metal mounting tabs for an easy installation. That grommet was in pretty fair condition, so I may end up using it again for the new tach cable. If this is the correct original grommet, I am surprised someone is not reproducing it, because so many C2 owners want their restorations to be 100% correct. Mine is just a driver, so the grommet style is not important to me, but as soon as the ones from Ecklers arrived, I knew they were quite different and had my doubts about the installation.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:54 PM
BlueShark29
Instructor

I have installed several of these grommets, although I slit the top and bottom to get them on the cable. I really like the tool that John Z showed a pic of.
To get the grommet in the firewall takes a little finesse. I used a scribe with a 90 degree end and pulled the lip of the grommet through the firewall, a little at a time. It takes patience, but it works.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:11 PM
jackhays
Racer

Default I found the correct grommet!!!!!!!!!

Part number 1214 at Paragon looks just like it at $10.00 so I ordered one.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:51 PM
longbros
Burning Brakes

Part number 1214 at Paragon looks just like it at $10.00 so I ordered one.
Thanks so much for pointing out the correct grommet at Paragon, and above at Dr. Rebuild.
Over the last 30 years, I have ordered various Corvette parts from many of the suppliers, but most of all, Ecklers. So, when I assembled a list of small parts I needed, I took advantage of Ecklers recent discount promotion. I should have looked through the other catalogs first before ordering from Ecklers.
You would think that a well established parts supplier like Ecklers would get it right and carry the correct parts. I have to say, I have been disappointed with some of their products lately, and some of my parts are still on back order, and the fact that these parts were out of stock was not indicated at the time I placed the order. Live and learn.
Thanks to all for the suggestions and help.

Fred
Old 03-07-2006, 08:16 PM
GEM '62
Drifting

Received 581 Likes on 229 Posts

I made a tool like John Z. discribed out of a piece of solid nylon used a little dish soap and water and installation was a snap. Very easy no brainer method.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the trick to install speedo/tach cable grommet

Old 03-07-2006, 08:59 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,039 Likes on 1,252 Posts

I short-circuited the frustration of dealing with this grommet in my 67. tossed the grommet after endless fussing around and sealed the firewall hole with some non-hardening putty that I found in the plumbing section of the local Home Depot. It comes as a small gray brick and you tear off what you need. It's been there for several thousand miles and doesn't leak water or engine compartment fumes. Recently I put in a new tach cable, so easily undid this putty and put it back in a few seconds. Simple, cheap, works well and it's even out of sight.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:01 PM
longbros
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LouieM
I short-circuited the frustration of dealing with this grommet in my 67. tossed the grommet after endless fussing around and sealed the firewall hole with some non-hardening putty that I found in the plumbing section of the local Home Depot. It comes as a small gray brick and you tear off what you need. It's been there for several thousand miles and doesn't leak water or engine compartment fumes. Recently I put in a new tach cable, so easily undid this putty and put it back in a few seconds. Simple, cheap, works well and it's even out of sight.
Excellent idea! I have seen that kind of stuff used on vehicles before for sealing all kinds of places. Sounds like a winner to me. Thanks for the idea.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:36 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

What's even better stuff is Butyl caulking. You can get it at auto paint stores or even larger NAPA stores. It comes in a roll in a box. It's real tacky, but never hardens. I find it handy for lots of things - filling a small gap on a too large screw hole - a very tiny piece on the end of a screwdriver to hold a screw in the slot - a replacement for tacking strips for headliners in old cars - sealing a waterleak - and as a replacement for a grommet, or anything else going through the firewall.

Quick Reply: What's the trick to install speedo/tach cable grommet