C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

laquer paint needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 12:55 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

Default laquer paint needed

Need 2 gallons of 1969 daytona yellow laquer . prefer RM brand
but dupont lucite would work also . please dont even mention PPG ugggggggg . have this very correct 1969 435hp conv that really needs laquer paint done the old school way
Old 03-21-2006, 01:15 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

i may be wrong, but I thought PPG was the only one left offering lacquer. I think DuPont quit making it finally. Not sure about Sherwin Williams.

I have PPG on my car done last year and it looks great. sorry if you had a bad experience with it.
In either case, i do know where you can get the PPG lacquer.

opps, sorry, mentioned PPG 3 times in this.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:42 PM
gilmore1967
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Barry,
Was your car done in laquer?

(see, I didn't even mention P, PP, PPG even once.) PPG used to be Ditzler paint I think which was used on mid year corvettes. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:58 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Gilmore
no, it was done in BC/CC but originally I wasn't going to get the entire car repainted, just a few small areas touched up (big change of plans huh?) so I had picked up a quart of the PPG lacquer mixed from the local PPG paint supplier to take to my painter.
when I decided to just get the entire car repainted I was going to do it with lacquer but finally decided on the BC/CC because it's more durable and easier to repair for future scratches, dings, etc. My painter only recommends the current lacquer paints if it's a show car that's trailered everywhere. For a driver he said I was MUCH better off with the BC/CC and so did most everyone else.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:01 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Is it me, or can you notice a difference in BC/CC and Lacquer?

BC/CC looks great, but just not that deep look of the Lacquer.

Mark
Old 03-21-2006, 03:02 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

yes, i think there is a difference you can see between a single stage and a BC/CC. The very best paintjobs i've ever seen, such as on show cars, etc are typically a single stage paint.
BC/CC can look really good if done well but for the ultimate paint jobs I think single stage looks better. For a driver car though BC/CC makes more sense as it's much more practical.

I was at a friends house a couple times lately who recently had his '63 painted with single stage and the car looks GREAT!
Old 03-21-2006, 06:49 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default paint

Hi folks
maybe i should explain why I lothe ppg so . truth be told I have been painting corvettes since I was 17 and am 46 now . I grew up and lerned to paint with laquer long before the BC CC came out , really teaches you how to buff paint also . about 1980 they took alot of the lead out of the laquer and really hurt its durablity from acid rain and such . but to make a long story short PPG has always been a bottom of the line paint product with poor color matches and such . Gonna get clobberd by the ppg guys now can feel it coming . the last experience i had with that stuff was less than a year ago, A NCRS car that required ermine white ,this junk in the can was bone white to begin with and had to be tinted with alot of pure white to resemble what ermine was supposed to be . also when reduced it turned yellow really, weird stuff then when it dried it kinda turned white again . spot painting was impossible as it would leave a yellow ring on edges that never dried out of it. So please if anyone knows of ANYTHING other than PPG please let me know . Thanks Paul
Old 03-21-2006, 07:14 PM
GOSFAST
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Laquer Paint on a '68 Z-28

Hi Paul, one of my customers, Thomas, at "Redz Auto" just did a '68 Z-28. When I spoke to him last month he had mentioned about repainting it with the original laquer paint. If you want to give him a call he may be able to "steer" you in the right direction. Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Tell him I forwarded his number to you. He's in White Plains, N.Y. and his number is 914-948-9301. He has a six page spread in the March issue of Hemmings "Muscle Machines" about the car he used the paint on.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:23 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

As far as I know, PPG is the only major player still supplying lacquer.
They have been the only player in my city for over 15 years, and I have been using their products ever since the local Dupont Dealer quit stocking lacquer. I have found their DDL line of lacquer to be easily on a par with the Dupont product, and I shoot nothing but PPG products now, both lacquer (DDL), and single-stage urethane (DCC). I have never had noticed any of the issues that you have mentioned. I have shot Ermine white several times in the last 5 years, and have never had that happen. I have a couple of quarts of Ermine white right now on the shelf and have used them for touch-ups several times. Their metallics do not match the original paint that well, but this was a problem with Dupont as well, since they all changed the size of the particles in the metallics. I am not trying to change your mind, just telling you my experience.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 03-21-2006, 08:29 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paulywannafly
The last experience i had with that stuff was less than a year ago, A NCRS car that required ermine white ,this junk in the can was bone white to begin with and had to be tinted with alot of pure white to resemble what ermine was supposed to be . also when reduced it turned yellow really, weird stuff then when it dried it kinda turned white again . spot painting was impossible as it would leave a yellow ring on edges that never dried out of it.
Ah, but your perserverance paid off, and big time! U da man!

Old 03-21-2006, 08:38 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Hi folks
maybe i should explain why I lothe ppg so . truth be told I have been painting corvettes since I was 17 and am 46 now . I grew up and lerned to paint with laquer long before the BC CC came out , really teaches you how to buff paint also . about 1980 they took alot of the lead out of the laquer and really hurt its durablity from acid rain and such . but to make a long story short PPG has always been a bottom of the line paint product with poor color matches and such . Gonna get clobberd by the ppg guys now can feel it coming . the last experience i had with that stuff was less than a year ago, A NCRS car that required ermine white ,this junk in the can was bone white to begin with and had to be tinted with alot of pure white to resemble what ermine was supposed to be . also when reduced it turned yellow really, weird stuff then when it dried it kinda turned white again . spot painting was impossible as it would leave a yellow ring on edges that never dried out of it. So please if anyone knows of ANYTHING other than PPG please let me know . Thanks Paul
I don't have a favorite brand of paint, but I do know that the composition of all the base paints and tints for all brands have changed over the years. Even a simple color such as white is not the same shade as the old paints. In order to mix the various bases and tints to match the original color, you first have to adjust all the bases and tints to match what the original bases and tints were. A long tedious process that very very few people are willing to undetake. The short route has everyone trying to scan for the correct color. This will get it close, but, more often than not it is off a little due to the newer compostion of the bases and tints. Another factor that can come into play is the quality of the old paint chips you are trying to match up against.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:42 PM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't shoot me, I got bored in the other forum. PPG is the only one left that does lacquer, and the store by me will still special order it. I am 53 and have painted with lacquer since I was 16, and I agree with everything you said. I finally switched to the newer paints about 4 years ago and I have to admit, I won't go back to lacquer. The epoxy primers are unbeatable for adhesion, and I still use lacquer based polyester primer for blocking. The new paints are amazing, however there are drawbacks; waste is not reusable, there are recoat time constraints, etc., so scheduling can be an issue. Spot painting is just like with lacquer. The most important thing is time savings. The new paints need 2 coats of color and 2 coats of clear and that's it. You can wet sand and buff the next day if needed.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:53 PM
livin
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryK
opps, sorry, mentioned PPG 3 times in this.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ahoover
Don't shoot me, I got bored in the other forum. PPG is the only one left that does lacquer, and the store by me will still special order it. I am 53 and have painted with lacquer since I was 16, and I agree with everything you said. I finally switched to the newer paints about 4 years ago and I have to admit, I won't go back to lacquer. The epoxy primers are unbeatable for adhesion, and I still use lacquer based polyester primer for blocking. The new paints are amazing, however there are drawbacks; waste is not reusable, there are recoat time constraints, etc., so scheduling can be an issue. Spot painting is just like with lacquer. The most important thing is time savings. The new paints need 2 coats of color and 2 coats of clear and that's it. You can wet sand and buff the next day if needed.
If you had two C2's painted silver pearl, one in lacquer and one in urethane base/clear, what would the visual difference be?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:09 PM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Beck
If you had two C2's painted silver pearl, one in lacquer and one in urethane base/clear, what would the visual difference be?
Good question. From my experience, I think the appearence will be similar, but the urethane clear may add extra depth that the original silver did not have. With silver it's all about the metallics since there is very little pigment. With solid colors, there would be no difference in appearance. The urethane will be much more durable, from a chip resistant standpoint as well as longevity as far as gloss hold out and resistance to cracking with age. Lacquer can have equal gloss, but much of the paint depth in metallics comes from the clear topcoats, and that was always a weak spot with clear lacquer when building up multiple coats because it was prone to cracking over time. So I would not use clear over a lacquer job. Lacquer also requires more upkeep to retain the gloss.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:01 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryK
For a driver car though BC/CC makes more sense as it's much more practical.
Since when has owning a Corvette been about being practical?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:11 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default laquer

Looks like I have to deal with that PPG house paint againYuck.Well
its not the end of the world so have been lucky and only have had to do
1 laquer job per year . the rest are good modern BC CC just love that stuff
3 coats base 3 coats clear and your outta the booth . Next day wetsand and buff . have many winning show cars with over 6 year old BC cc paint jobs and best part is they dont need wax and are just as easy to spot in as laquer used to be and who said change is not good . Thank you all for trying to help . Now have to sulk off and order some cant even say it paint
thanks again Paul

Get notified of new replies

To laquer paint needed

Old 03-24-2006, 08:39 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default laquer paint days are numbered

Hi
I work as a consultant in construction industry...EPA isnt too fond of laquer paints do to the lead content ...harmful vapors that enter our atomsphere (And you if not using proper equipment to paint with!! Attacks CNS on human being)...Thats why its dificult to find...In a time when everyone wants to be enviromentally friendly these days....My vette was repainted in 1992 with laquer paint...What I like about laquer is that it buff out very very nice...Paint still looks fresh with the "deep" color..

I would go with the BC/CC easier to find down the road if u have a "accident" or need to touch up... Laquer is becoming a thing of the past!!!

Just my .02
Old 03-24-2006, 11:57 AM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default paint

Your so right . I cant stand laquer . bc cc is the stuff. I just wish the NCRS judges would get off the laquer like the rest of the planet.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:04 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

I just wish the NCRS judges would get off the laquer like the rest of the planet.
NCRS does NOT say the car must be painted with lacquer. All NCRS judges is that the car APPEARS to be the way it was when it left the factory and was delivered to the customer.
If you can paint the car with any other type of paint, either other types of single stage paint or BC/CC paint and make it APPEAR like the original lacquer than than great.

Quick Reply: laquer paint needed