C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Blocking Off The Heater Core????

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 10:10 PM
saopm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Blocking Off The Heater Core????

It was about 80 degrees here on Long Island this weekend and if felt like 95 driving my car. It feels like the heater core is transferring heat even though I don’t have the fan on.

Has anyone used some kind of a cut-off valve on the coolant feed to the heater core?

I’m looking for some way to block off the feed and keeping the stock look. Maybe a cap over the heater core inlet tube, then I can place the hose over both the cap and inlet tube.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:19 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

saopm,

Yup. Stop off at your friendly plumbers supply place or even the plumbing aisle at Home Depot. What you want is a shut off valve. You want to mount that to your return heater line by splicing into it. That hose is a 5/8" inch hose and is the line that comes from your firewall to your intake manifold. I mounted mine just below the tee from your overflow. It would be the lower hose of the 2 hoses clamped together.

It does make a difference by cutting out all hot water flowing through the heater core 'cause no matter where you put your controls for just fresh air, she's going to heat soak you.

A half hour job.

Good luck!

Regards,

Jim
The following users liked this post:
NOLA70 (01-03-2018)
Old 04-16-2006, 10:22 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,878 Likes on 916 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I bought some heater hose blocks offs at the parts store. They are made specifically for this. I re-routed the heater hose (longer) and ran them around behind battery so the block off would be hidden from view and not stand out so obvious. They do make a big difference. Just cut the hoses and splice them in with a couple of hose clamps.

JIM
Old 04-17-2006, 12:46 AM
BILLY 63 swc
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stop off at your NAPA store and get a heater temp control valve for a 70-71 ford pickup and install it it the 5/8" line to the heater and you can shut it all the way off or any where from 0 to 100% open with the small arm on the side of the valve. Cost-about $8.00
Old 04-17-2006, 12:58 AM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Had the same problem in my '66. It was like sitting in an oven. Turns out the 'seals' in my heater box had mysteriously disappeared. Spent all day trying to find the water block off to the heater core. Crap, there isn't one. Apparently only A/C cars got this lavish accesory. Even if you have new seals you still have a small radiator in your heater box transfering heat to your feat.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:37 AM
STING67RAY
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had a similar problem with my car a couple years ago.
someone on the forum mentioned the weatherstrip seal at the rear of the hood ledge. made it seem like the heater was on at all times.
hot air from engine came out from under the hood, then down through the wiper grilles into the vehicle.
i never had a seal there when i purchased the car. but i did see the seal on some, not all midyears at shows. i added the seal and what a difference it made. might be worth a look.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

I installed an OEM style (vacuum control operated) heater water flow block off on my 70 Vette and it made a great difference - in the wrong way! The engine water temp would rise greatly anytime I would go above idle. I thought that the water pump needed the flow through the heater core to prevent cavitation, so I replaced the water pump and all was well (and used the water flow block off for many years afterward).

I connected the water block off vacuum control to the heater control (which is a multiple hose vacuum switch on the 70 Vette), so that it would automatically block water flow through the heater whenever in the "Vent" or "AC" positions.

Plasticman
Old 04-17-2006, 01:31 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Vintage Auto Parts has a manual 5/8" inline hose mounted thumbscrew type valve for $14.75. It is at the bottom of this page.
Roy

Get notified of new replies

To Blocking Off The Heater Core????

Quick Reply: Blocking Off The Heater Core????