C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fuse Box Replace

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 02:06 PM
chub
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse Box Replace

I don't know why electrical problems intimidate me but they do. My fuse box is cracked and needs to be replaced. I have a used matching fuse box....Is it that difficult to change it out? If not, what do I do first?

Thanks,
chub
Old 04-25-2006, 02:49 PM
Geek's 65
Burning Brakes

The real issue with changing the fuse box is that it is hard wired into the main wiring harness behind the instrument panel. Unplugging the two connectors from the engine compartment is easy and taking the screws out that hold the fuse block in is also easy. It's unhooking the wires from the old box and getting them hooked up to the new one that will be the B**ch!. On my 65 there are 11 wires you would have to do that to.

Geek
Old 04-25-2006, 03:33 PM
chub
Instructor

Thanks Geek,
the replacement box already has some wires connected to it and I stripped them to make a connection with the wires from the cracked one. Like I said, I guess it just intimidates me.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:44 PM
Geek's 65
Burning Brakes

If you're set up that way and prep the wires on the one you are going to install to do the splice it shouldn't be to hard. Disconnect the battery, open a beer, splice the wires, drink the beer. No problem. Walk in the park
Old 04-26-2006, 09:23 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

IMO solder the connections and use heat shrink tubing to insulate the finished connections.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:54 AM
Geek's 65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by magicv8
IMO solder the connections and use heat shrink tubing to insulate the finished connections.
TOTALLY agree!! Soldered main connections are the only way to go. NO CRIMP SPLICES!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:03 AM
valrico_stingray
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't even chance a splice no matter how well you dress it. Just get a replacement under dash harness. If age is a factor in the cracked box then imagine the condition of the wires, especially after you start handling them during the repair. Just my $.02.

Chuck
Old 04-26-2006, 11:02 AM
chub
Instructor

Thanks to all of you for the advice. The box is cracked because of a foot b-4 I bought the car. The wires look to be o k for now. I intend to replace the wiring harness in the fall. I intended to solder cause I don't trust the crimps.

Thanks again to all of you.

chub

Get notified of new replies

To Fuse Box Replace

Quick Reply: Fuse Box Replace