C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Cloth air cleaner cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 01:25 PM
3car5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cloth air cleaner cover

I was at a show this past weekend and a guy had a pair of cloth air cleaner covers with the cross flags logo on his '57. He said there is a lady that makes these to spec for Vettes which help to protect the hood paint from the sun glaring off of the air cleaner with the hood up.
He did not have the lady's name. Any idea where I could find the contact for this individual? I would like to get one for my 66.

Save the Wave!

Kerry
Old 05-03-2006, 01:28 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got one, but have no idea where I got it from . . . and the stories of hood paint blistering due to concentrated reflection off of the air cleaner lid are true, as some of our own members can report
Old 05-03-2006, 01:40 PM
JSB69
Burning Brakes

Corvette Central has them in their catalog. I did some research on the web and found the manufacturer but I don't remember saving much, if anything.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:44 PM
3car5
Racer

Originally Posted by JSB69
Corvette Central has them in their catalog. I did some research on the web and found the manufacturer but I don't remember saving much, if anything.
Wow. I did not even think about checking with one of the major vendors. I will eheck their site now. Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-03-2006, 02:40 PM
vark_wso
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

A toilet lid cover (round/universal) fits nicely.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:56 PM
63C2splitter
CF Senile Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by vark_wso
A toilet lid cover (round/universal) fits nicely.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:04 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

I have one and learned to get it and use it because of a bad expereince....... don't ask but it's the reason for my new paint job..........

I got it from a vendor at Carlisle. They had a website but when I just clicked on it I noticed it's gone and no longer up so I'm not sure what happened to them.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:20 PM
SMR 67
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Barry, I think you actually gave me that web site and I got one from her - it's a great product.

I tried my bookmark and it didn't work, but then tried this:

http://www.1nrcc.com

and it lead me to this:

https://www.shop.corvettenecessities.com/

3car5 - click on "No Reflection Custom Covers". This looks like the same thing I got, so I think this is what you need.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:17 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SMR 67
Barry, I think you actually gave me that web site and I got one from her - it's a great product.

and it lead me to this:

3car5 - click on "No Reflection Custom Covers". This looks like the same thing I got, so I think this is what you need.

SMR

yep, that second link is the same company and product. They must have changed their website and address.
The first link is the same as the one I had bookmarked also but it doesn't open for me at all anymore.

glad you found their new site.

Honestly, I think based on my experience EVERYONE should have this cover. Repainting a hood or an entire car is just too expensive and too much of a hassle.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Formula Outlaw
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered mine from Corvette Central this past Friday night.....

I had a few almost microscopic sized bubbles come up in my hood and I'm sure that is what they are from....
Old 05-03-2006, 04:34 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
I just ordered mine from Corvette Central this past Friday night.....

I had a few almost microscopic sized bubbles come up in my hood and I'm sure that is what they are from....
mine were a lot bigger than microscopic sized........ and the hood had gotten so hot it was literally burning the paint on the underside and smoking while i had the hood up at a show. Luckily some people at the show walked by saw what was happening and lowered my hood for me ( i was walking around looking at other cars) but by than it was too late.

To add insult to injury, i was so mad and upset that it happened (I'd only had the car about 2 months at that point) that my wife and I left the show early and I found out the next day by a buddy who was there that they called my name during the awards ceremony at the end of the show and I had won "Best of Show". Because I had left they give it to the next guy instead. it was a frickin' 4 foot trophy!!

Since that happened two years ago, with all the shows i've been to, I haven't even come remotely close to winning another Best of Show award.
I really don't care about trophies, I just go for fun, but whenever I think about that it just eats me up. The ONE time I would have actually won a trophy i left early because of my ruined paint.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:48 AM
3car5
Racer

and it lead me to this:

Thanks for the info! This is closer to what I was looking for. I am tired of putting a towel over the air cleaner. It would be really cool if there was one that copied the decals on the air cleaner. I thought of taking a digital photo and having it screen printed on a piece of cotton, but there is no way I could sew a piece of elastic around the bottom.
I will order one today.

btw. The issue is real. A friend of mine has a mark in the hood of his 63 SWC in the original paint. That had to be a killer to have happen at a show.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:10 AM
SMR 67
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 3car5
Thanks for the info! This is closer to what I was looking for. I am tired of putting a towel over the air cleaner. It would be really cool if there was one that copied the decals on the air cleaner. I thought of taking a digital photo and having it screen printed on a piece of cotton, but there is no way I could sew a piece of elastic around the bottom.
I will order one today.

btw. The issue is real. A friend of mine has a mark in the hood of his 63 SWC in the original paint. That had to be a killer to have happen at a show.
They may be able to do that for you - you should ask them.

Old 05-04-2006, 12:12 PM
3car5
Racer

They may be able to do that for you - you should ask them.

Thanks for the tip. Just spoke with Rhonda. She can make the cover to mimic the decals on the air cleaner. This is going to be so cool!

Last edited by 3car5; 05-04-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Formula Outlaw
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryK
mine were a lot bigger than microscopic sized........ and the hood had gotten so hot it was literally burning the paint on the underside and smoking while i had the hood up at a show. Luckily some people at the show walked by saw what was happening and lowered my hood for me ( i was walking around looking at other cars) but by than it was too late.

To add insult to injury, i was so mad and upset that it happened (I'd only had the car about 2 months at that point) that my wife and I left the show early and I found out the next day by a buddy who was there that they called my name during the awards ceremony at the end of the show and I had won "Best of Show". Because I had left they give it to the next guy instead. it was a frickin' 4 foot trophy!!

Since that happened two years ago, with all the shows i've been to, I haven't even come remotely close to winning another Best of Show award.
I really don't care about trophies, I just go for fun, but whenever I think about that it just eats me up. The ONE time I would have actually won a trophy i left early because of my ruined paint.

Barry you have just plain chit bad luck.....

Unfortunately, I KNOW the feeling.....

Received my air cleaner cover today from CorvetteCentral, nice....
Luckily I don't have any air cleaner decals as mine are down on the valve covers so the cross flags work just fine....

Get notified of new replies

To Cloth air cleaner cover

Quick Reply: Cloth air cleaner cover