C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Thank You John Z. [Timing & Vacuum Advance 101]

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 04:53 PM
lovevettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Thank You John Z. [Timing & Vacuum Advance 101]

Thank you for writing that article about vacuum advance, I think it is a must read for anyone that owns a Edelbrock Performer or Thunder carbureator. I bought a Thunder carb. and when it was time to hook up the hose for the Distributor vac. advance I already had the old carb on the shelf couldnt test it to see if I needed full vac. or timed vac. for the dist. So I hooked it up to the Pass. side [right side] timed port , the engine seemed to run alright. I went thru a very hot July and August here in my state , every time I got into stop and go traffic the water temperatue would go up [ the stress was unblievable ] and of course I blamed every thing but the dist. timing. Blamed the old radiator, the restricting of the thermostat , fan blade being too small or not powerful enough, was ready to buy a electric fan [ which would have masked the real problem]. Then I read your article , everything made sense the engine needed full vacuum at idle . That means using the full vacuum port on the drivers side [left side ] on a Edelbrock carb.
Since I bought my Edelbrock carb. I looked at other cars and trucks at shows and cruises here on the East coast and guess what 4 out of 10 edelbrock equiped cars had the vacuum hooked to the timed ports
now these cars do not have air pumps,E.G.R. valves only P.C.V. valves
and I went to a lot of shows in the past year and a half. I was wondering how much money is being wasted for over heating problems each year in the U.S. and the overheating could be just not using the full vacuum advance port on a edelbrock carb. Thanks again for writing the article and could you post a web site where other Edelbrock owner dummies like me could read that article? Bring on the hot weather I'm ready!

Last edited by lovevettes; 05-05-2006 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:04 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

i have John's Timing 101 article and his Mapping Advance article posted up on my tech articles page on my website. Anyone is welcome to download them for their use
and as always I thank John for allowing me to post his articles up on my site so everyone can benefit from them

my website tech articles page is HERE

if you RIGHT CLICK on the name of the article you can download it to your own computer.

Old 05-04-2006, 05:33 PM
sting ry
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Great collection of tech articles. Thanks

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-04-2006, 06:04 PM
brucep
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Barry,

I used your library and the archives of this forum to sort out my L-79vacuum and mechancila advance and timing earlier this spring. I got it all to factory vacuum specs and recurved the dist for max perf. The car has not ever run as well.
It even solved a vibration I was experiencing during hard acceleration under load, that I chased with tail shaft bushing, yokes and shaft balancing. The vac advance was not working at all and the mech barely, so I basically had very retarded setup.

I wonder how many problems with these systems improperly diagnosed and chased in wrong directions. I surely was guilty. I had my car for 3 years before I bothered to sort out the mech and vac advance systems. Well worth it. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:16 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Thasnks Sting Ry

Glad the articles helped Bruce
Since i'm just learning how to work on my own cars myself i'm always looking for good and helpful tech articles and when I find some I try to post them up so others can benefit from them as well.
I figure working on our older cars can be challenging enough at times so if there is good information out there that can help such as John's articles it helps others to share the info.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:53 PM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah Barry, I just looked at your site and couldn't stop downloading!
Old 05-04-2006, 07:01 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mgsouthard
Yeah Barry, I just looked at your site and couldn't stop downloading!
enjoy
Old 05-04-2006, 07:08 PM
comp
Team Owner

Old 05-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Again, thanks so much for providing this, Barry! It's been a great help and nice having all these articles in one central location!
Old 05-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Coves4me
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Barry, If there's one thing I have learned in my life, it is that you never stop learning.

Thanks for having all of those great tech articles in one spot. I downloaded a bunch and that's gonna help get me through an anticipated rainy Saturday. Thanks again to you and Lars.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:13 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Tossin and Coves
YW, but no need to thank me, thank all the people that took the time to write the articles such as JohnZ, Lars, etc. THEY are the ones who supplied all the great info and allowed me to host their papers up on my site.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:40 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,039 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Barry -- Wow, what a treasure trove of tech articles you've assembled! Thanks Big Time for doing this for all of us!!

Lou
Old 05-05-2006, 01:04 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Lou
I have 2 or 3 times as many still on my harddrive I just haven't gotten around to converting to .pdf files and posting them up...........
Old 05-06-2006, 03:44 AM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

After going to your site a few days ago, I thought of writing and thanking you and the excellent contributors. It is very informative and helpful.
thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 04:31 PM
cjklatt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, I think I finally figured my heat problem on my 64 327/300, I certainly am one of the many that have spent money unnecessarily chasing a heat problem, after having the same symptoms you state over 3 summers I put in a waterpump, fan clutch, thermostat, then no thermostat, points, plugs, condenser, cap, temp sender, new hoses, on and on.

Lars provided some basics on timing last summer, dialed it in and it made a world of difference but would not stay cool with a thermostat in and runs a steady 210 with no thermostat, but unable to sit in long drive throughs or at long lights on hot days w/o the temp creeping up and I get run on occasionally.

BUT I installed an edelbrock carb about 3 years ago. I figured I just needed a new radiator after replacing everyting and dialing in the timing, but now I am thinking I am just on the wrong vacuum port as I clearly remember not being able to determine which from which in the schematic.

As soon as I get home from work it's to the garage, hope this does it as I have been putting off the 8 bills for a radiator for 2 years now, would be nice to use the dough for weather stipping, air cleaner, and ignition shielding I need
Old 05-22-2006, 08:04 PM
cjklatt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some help with total timing per John Hinckley's Mapping your Advance Curve

I have my base timing set on my 64 327/300 at 8 per the book I have at around 600 RPM, but I don't have a dial timing light to check the total timing, John mentions measuring the balancer and cutting a piece of tape and marking it by 9 up to 36. He references a picture in the write up but it is not there. I think I have it right, but can anyone help me with how and where I apply the tape to, also what should I see when I rev it with the timing light on?

Also what should I see when I un hook the vacuum line from the carb and plug it? Drop in RPM? rise? at idle I don't see a difference either way

Get notified of new replies

To Thank You John Z. [Timing & Vacuum Advance 101]

Quick Reply: Thank You John Z. [Timing & Vacuum Advance 101]