C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Livin's Progress on 1St Body off...I Rented a Garage to Cure the Madness!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 02:04 AM
livin
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 86 Posts

Default Livin's Progress on 1St Body off...I Rented a Garage to Cure the Madness!!!

For my Birthday this year my Wife HOOKED ME UP!!!!

We moved the 57 into the garage on my 33rd birthday, which was May 1st. We carried the frame in the back of a pickup truck bed, the body dolly too. Then the body came on a trailer.

Well, it has been at least a couple of weeks since I posted any progress. My home garage (pictured below) that I tore the 57 up in, though heated and very nice, is too small to really do a NUT AND BOLT restoration in (for me) with any ease. It is also the acces point from my commercial catering kitchen (my career) to my cars so... tripping over seats, axle, hubs etc.... was becoming hazardous. The tear down at home was o.k... but now I am doing all of the body work. Cleaning up fiberglass, paint and primer dust everyday so it doesn't get into the catering department was a COMPLETE PAIN.... so the wife decided to let me pony up the cash and RENT A GARAGE DOWNTOWN as my Birthday present!!!

It is a 480 Sq. Ft. Bay that used to be an alignment shop. There is also a 10 x 15 or 20 ft. sunken concrete pit with a plywood floor over it under my shop floor for storage. I can park three cars out back, and a corvette up front. There is a full service garage to one side and a non existent old paint and body shop on the other...

I will post pictures later, but I was just wanting to share the excitement. I have always wanted a "fonzarelli" garage. Those who have followed my progress reports will remember the challenges of removing a body with an engine hoist.... and a post in the middle of the garage... know we can do it with a lift..... there is one next store, just 10 ft away!!!!

The 57 body is now sanded down to the bare fiberglass on the passenger side, all bonding strips seams are visible. I am pretty sure she was original red car. I think the cascade green may have been a replacement nose... no way to tell yet....

The frame is almost completely wirebrushed to a mirror like finish. We have started to prep it for welding repairs.

and that is my story........
Happy DAY,
Jacob

Last edited by livin; 05-11-2006 at 02:15 AM.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:43 AM
midyear1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy Birthday! And congratulations on acquiring what sounds like one sweet workspace. I can relate to your situation. Back in the early 70's, I started tearing apart a 71 coupe , and ended up having parts and pieces stashed everywhere. No room. So, I located a nice clean and cozy 2 car garage, and was able to let all the parts keep hangin' out together in the same place. It was great, and made the reassembly go a lot smoother.

Sounds like you have the perfect place. And a pit for undercar work is a real bonus - you've got everything there. Way to go.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:27 PM
livin
Drifting

Thanks Midyear 1!!!
Old 05-11-2006, 02:56 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Nice, can't wait to see pics of the new workspace. I'm waiting to start the frameoff until I get some elbow room.

And Happy Birthday!!!!
Old 05-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, does your wife have any single sisters??
Old 05-12-2006, 12:24 AM
livin
Drifting

No Single Sisters.... sorry! Thanks for the replies!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Livin's Progress on 1St Body off...I Rented a Garage to Cure the Madness!!!

Quick Reply: Livin's Progress on 1St Body off...I Rented a Garage to Cure the Madness!!!