C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Pin hole in oil pan; 1964

Old 05-13-2006, 08:49 PM
garth64
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Pin hole in oil pan; 1964

I thought my oil drain plug was leaking when I dicovered a pin hole in my oil pan right next to the drain plug; anyone know of a fix for this?
Old 05-13-2006, 09:04 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spot weld from the inside. The easy thing to do would be to buy a new pan. But if you are trying to keep it original, take the pan off and take it to a welding shop. Ask questions before leaving it with them. If you don't like answers go to next shop.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:35 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by garth64
I thought my oil drain plug was leaking when I dicovered a pin hole in my oil pan right next to the drain plug; anyone know of a fix for this?

If you're not willing to pull the pan at this time, probe around on the pan in the area of the pin hole with an ice pick and see if you can "find" anymore leaks. If not, you can run an appropriate size sheet metal screw in the pin hole to plug the leak. Pull the pan and fix it right after driving season is over. If the hole is overlapped by the threaded bung in the pan, this won't work.

It's a simple matter to pull the pan. Why not just do it?
Old 05-14-2006, 12:07 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
It's a simple matter to pull the pan. Why not just do it?
Not "cool" to do an oil change (at least the dump part) while on the road!

Fix it before it becomes a bigger problem.

Had an altered roadster (drag race) that had a very low oil pan. Running at a track way out in the boonies. Made a pass, and then the tow car came down the track and pulled me back to the pits down a very rough return road. Got to pits to see a line of oil back up the return road. Yep, the side mounted oil drain plug had gotten unscrewed by the road. Easy to find the plug at the end of the oil trail!

plasticman
Old 05-14-2006, 01:32 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by garth64
If you are looking for a quick lasting fix and can wait overnight this should work out well for you. Drain the pan and go out and get some PC-7 type automotive epoxy. Clean the area on the oil pan with some brakecleen. Get a piece of light sandpaper and scuff the area up a little. Mix a little of both tubes of PC-7, wipe the area with brakeclean again with a cloth and push the mixed PC 7 epoxy into the pin hole. Wait 24 hours, come back and resand the area until ready to spot the area with engine paint and you should be good to go. PC-7 epoxy isn't bothered by gasolene or oil products and will take the heat coming from the oil pan.

Either do this or pull the oil pan and if the area of the hole is still good weld away or replace with new oil pan. I would try the PC-7 Epoxy first.

Good luck!

Last edited by ffas23; 05-14-2006 at 01:44 AM.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:36 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Quit fooling around. For about 100 bucks you can fix it correctly with a new oil pan, 1 piece gasket, and 5-6 quarts of oil and be done with it.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:52 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

If the pin hole is right at where the thread boss meets the pan sheetmetal, any welding shop can brass braze the hole shut. If the hole is in the sheetmetal itself a little ways away from the thread boss, have them braze a knockout slug from an electric switch box (or other small piece of metal over the hole on the inside of the pad.

If the hole is not there from outside mechanical scrapes or other trauma, it is probably from inside rust, and there may be more bad spots so pan repalcement may be the best idea.

Doug
Old 05-14-2006, 04:12 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

If you want to keep the car original you will probably have to get your pan repaired as original pans are no longer available. The replacements are $120.00, "look different from original and you must change the oil pickup".....according to Corvette Central catalog.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:25 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AZDoug

If the hole is not there from outside mechanical scrapes or other trauma, it is probably from inside rust, and there may be more bad spots so pan repalcement may be the best idea.

Doug
How the heck can there be inside rust in an Oil Pan filled with Motor Oil?
Old 05-15-2006, 02:23 PM
0KEN W ANDERSON
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solder it, that's how GM would have done it and no removal.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:59 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Solder works but also use a small patch. Thin sheet of copper or metal.

Welding the pan on the car = KABOOM

If you go the epoxy route, use a small sheetmetal screw in the hole. Barely make it tight so the epoxy makes a seal.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:31 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ffas23
How the heck can there be inside rust in an Oil Pan filled with Motor Oil?
maybe there was a coolant leak into the oil at one time, maybe the PCV valve didn't work, and a lot of water vaper condensation was present. Maybe the pan is a junk yard replacement and it got rusty in the junkyard.

Doug
Old 05-16-2006, 12:17 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AZDoug
maybe there was a coolant leak into the oil at one time, maybe the PCV valve didn't work, and a lot of water vaper condensation was present. Maybe the pan is a junk yard replacement and it got rusty in the junkyard.

Doug
To many maybe's Doug. I'm sorry, I didn't read into anything that would of indicated any of this to be possible after reading the thread. I still find it hard to believe that with a pan full of motor oil any of the above would of caused the pin hole leak other then putting a rusty junk yard replacement pan on the car of which I would find it hard for any member of this forum to do.

Last edited by ffas23; 05-16-2006 at 10:07 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Pin hole in oil pan; 1964

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pin hole in oil pan; 1964