C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Hood Weather Stripping

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 01:12 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Default C2 Hood Weather Stripping

Do all C2 hoods have the weather stripping on the trailing edge closest to the windsheild?
Old 05-30-2006, 01:40 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Yes, they do - wraps around the corners to be about even with the hood pins, and 67's have pushpins inside the ends of the weatherstrip that go into holes drilled in the side of the inner panel.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:42 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Beck
Do all C2 hoods have the weather stripping on the trailing edge closest to the windsheild?
Probably not now, but they all did when they came from the factory.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:55 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Yes, they do - wraps around the corners to be about even with the hood pins, and 67's have pushpins inside the ends of the weatherstrip that go into holes drilled in the side of the inner panel.

'63-'64 go across the back edge of the hood only and terminate about the latch pins while the '65-'67 wrap the corners and then stop at the latch pins as John described.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:30 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks,
My 66 has never had one since I owned the car.The car is being painted and new weather stripping is going in on the whole car. I saw a '67 with the hood up last week and noticed that weather strip.

Dennis

Old 05-30-2006, 06:42 PM
clint4vette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeM
'63-'64 go across the back edge of the hood only and terminate about the latch pins while the '65-'67 wrap the corners and then stop at the latch pins as John described.
Mike, Can I take that to the bank? Can I get an AMEN Brother on that bit of advise?
I'm doing the last bit of assembly on my 2 year body off project. I was just sizing up the rear hood seal, noticing it is very long. Long enough to go around both corners and about a foot down the sides. Though I took about 300 pictures during dis-assembly, I neglected to take one of the rear seal.
I've built by the book so far, and am looking for originality.
Is your advise founded?
Thanks, Clint
Old 05-30-2006, 07:01 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by clint4vette
Mike, Can I take that to the bank? Can I get an AMEN Brother on that bit of advise?
I'm doing the last bit of assembly on my 2 year body off project. I was just sizing up the rear hood seal, noticing it is very long. Long enough to go around both corners and about a foot down the sides. Though I took about 300 pictures during dis-assembly, I neglected to take one of the rear seal.
I've built by the book so far, and am looking for originality.
Is your advise founded?
Thanks, Clint

Just becaused you go to the bank or give a couple of amens or Hail Mary's doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. I think you can rest assured that if I've given wrong advice, there'll be some smiling eyes come forward to let us all know.

I have a '63 with original rubber and glue, friend has the same and another friend has a '64, all the same. They go across just the back. I also have a '65, same originality and it wraps the corners as John described. The '67's are pinned as the '65/'66 tended to pull away from the glue and stick out. I have no idea what a NCRS judging manual says.

If you bought a new rubber, it's a replacement that is made to fit a C-3 "as is" and for a mid-year by trimming to length.

I see by your profile your car is silver. Mine's red but I'd kill for silver.

Last edited by MikeM; 05-30-2006 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:44 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originality is what the factory workers did on the assembly line, not necessarily what the AIM and ECLs indicated. If you are asking for a great amen to get you through judging with NCRS or BG, IMO you should consult their rule book (JG or web site in the case of NCRS).

What original cars look like and what the judging rules require are not always the same.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Hood Weather Stripping

Quick Reply: C2 Hood Weather Stripping