C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rear Deck Assembly Diagram Picture

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 10:07 AM
chub
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Deck Assembly Diagram Picture

Help Again...on My 66 Vert. One Of The Springs That Allow The Deck To Stay Up Has Rusted Thru. The Only Manual That I Have So Far Is The '66 Chassis Service Manual. I Need To See The Breakdown Of The Metal Parts That The Springs Attach To. Can Anyone Help Or Steer Me To The Manuals Or Books To Buy?
Thanks,
Chub
Old 05-31-2006, 10:36 AM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These are pretty easy to deal with actually. I took mine out recently, powdercoated them and installed new springs. So, what you want to do is
1. remove the decklid.
2. lie down in the back of the car and unbolt the top two bolts, one on each side of the spring.
3 Take out the lower bolt
4. slide the assembly to the side
5. Put on a face mask. Find an stable object,i used a shelf to wedge the assembly into, then hook one side of hte new spring to the assembly and use an S hook to pull on the other and get it into place. The s hook gets stuck under the spring on the assembly so i just cut it off with a pair of bolt cutters after the spring was in place. i am sure somebody has an easier way of putting the spring in place, but this is how i did mine and it didnt take long at all. The hard part will be getting those rusted bolts to come loose. If you break one loose in the back of the birdcage you will never get it out, so be careful.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:47 AM
chub
Instructor

Stang, Thanks Cause That Helps. I Looked At The Base And It Looks Thotoughly Rusted On The Driver's Side. If I Replace One,(i Am ****), I Want To Replace Both. What Is (are) The Names Or Part Numbers For The Whole Assembly?

Chub
Old 05-31-2006, 11:06 AM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chub
Stang, Thanks Cause That Helps. I Looked At The Base And It Looks Thotoughly Rusted On The Driver's Side. If I Replace One,(i Am ****), I Want To Replace Both. What Is (are) The Names Or Part Numbers For The Whole Assembly?
Chub

Decklid Hinge Assembly Part #3824423
Old 05-31-2006, 11:21 AM
chub
Instructor

Thanks again. What manual (s) do you recommend that give the best diagrams and pics of the various pats?

Chub,

Maybe one of these days I can repay all of the help I have gained from the folks on this forum.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:52 AM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Default Repair parts

You will need to order new repair parts from Long Island Corvette Supply. If it is just the spring retainer that is rusted, you need to remove it and weld on a new piece. If the "U" shaped channel is rusted too, then they sell a section including the spring retainer to weld in.

Check out sction 19 of the catalog, item 51B is the new spring retainer plate and 51C is the partial assembly with the spring retainer plate.

You can see an example of my repairs in here:
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1162896
Old 05-31-2006, 11:58 AM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by chub
Thanks again. What manual (s) do you recommend that give the best diagrams and pics of the various pats?

Chub,

Maybe one of these days I can repay all of the help I have gained from the folks on this forum.
Get the AIM or Assembly Instruction Manual.

There was a terrific article in the NCRS Restorer magazine very recently describing exactly how it is done. That magazine and the NCRS Driveline (cars, parts for sale/wanted, info exchanged) are free with NCRS membership.

Don
Old 05-31-2006, 12:04 PM
chub
Instructor

Thanks Scott.

The pics help but I hope I don't have to get that involved because my vert is not disassembled and I hope I don't have to. Thanks again.

Chub
Old 05-31-2006, 12:06 PM
chub
Instructor

Thanks Don
Old 05-31-2006, 12:32 PM
chub
Instructor

Originally Posted by vetsvette2002
Get the AIM or Assembly Instruction Manual.

There was a terrific article in the NCRS Restorer magazine very recently describing exactly how it is done. That magazine and the NCRS Driveline (cars, parts for sale/wanted, info exchanged) are free with NCRS membership.

Don

Don,
Thanks again, I just joined for two yrs.

Chub

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Deck Assembly Diagram Picture

Quick Reply: Rear Deck Assembly Diagram Picture