C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

St. Louis Factory

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 08:05 PM
BAmacker
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Default St. Louis Factory

Hey Guys:

I'll be in St. Louis this week on business. I tried to do a Google search on the location of the STL plant, and couldn't find anything. Is it still standing? Is there anything to ride by and see? I'm just kind of curious about where my car was built...

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

never been there, but the building is no longer there, it is a parking lot for something. there is no edvedice of where our cars came from. and from what poeple have said it is in a bad part of town
Old 06-03-2006, 10:04 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Corvette Assembly Plant.

Was in North SL county. I was raised in south SL county but can remember going past there a few times. I remember most the bodys stacked on the rail cars. I moved to St. Joseph in '72 and understand north county has changed a lot since.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Dave McDufford
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Below is a current Google image of the plant at Union Blvd and Natural Bridge Avenue. The red dot is where the Corvette plant used to be (in the Fisher Mill Building). Something new is there.

Dave

Old 06-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With all of this technology and we still can't find Osama Bin Laden nor Jimmy Hoffa!!!
Old 06-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard the same thing....

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
never been there, but the building is no longer there, it is a parking lot for something. there is no edvedice of where our cars came from. and from what poeple have said it is in a bad part of town
Old 06-03-2006, 11:22 PM
SebringBill
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In 97 I took my 57 for a 40th birthday jaunt to Bloomington (at Springfield that year) and stopped in St Louis to take this pic:

When I was about to get into the car a St Louis bicycle cop rode up. I asked him how to get to the old Corvette factory; he said "are you driving this car?"
"Yes."
"You don't wanna go there."
"Thank you, officer."
I hopped back in, returned to the Interstate and headed to Springfield.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:58 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

To echo what Sebring Bill said, in 2000-2001? my wife and I drove our 69 to the NCRS National Convention in Collinsville, Illinois, across the river from St. Louis.

One morning another couple driving their 62 and my wife and I in the 69 took off to find the Corvette plant.

We were driving in downtown St. Louis, when a police cruiser, with "gumballs" blazing pulled us over. NICE officer. He had sort of figured what we were doing. He was a "car guy" himself, and wanted to look at our Corvettes.

He told us in NO WAY to drive our cars to the "area" of the old plant. It is gone anyway, torn down YEARS ago.

The officer told us that the neighborhood "ain't" so great to visit, even during the day. Chuck
Old 06-04-2006, 12:05 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
To echo what Sebring Bill said, in 2000-2001? my wife and I drove our 69 to the NCRS National Convention in Collinsville, Illinois, across the river from St. Louis.

One morning another couple driving their 62 and my wife and I in the 69 took off to find the Corvette plant.

We were driving in downtown St. Louis, when a police cruiser, with "gumballs" blazing pulled us over. NICE officer. He had sort of figured what we were doing. He was a "car guy" himself, and wanted to look at our Corvettes.

He told us in NO WAY to drive our cars to the "area" of the old plant. It is gone anyway, torn down YEARS ago.

The officer told us that the neighborhood "ain't" so great to visit, even during the day. Chuck

I drove past it in 1980. Bad looking area then.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:19 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

You do NOT want to be in that part of town, even during the day.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:45 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

We visited the St. Louis plant in 77 driving our yellow 73 454. Arrived at 9:00am, tour started at 1:00 pm. We left and spent some time at the Zoo. While we were gone the gas station across the way was robbed and one bad guy was killed. ( I guess everyone in the area carries guns ) . The tour guide stated several weeks prior two employees were argueing about a parking space. This ended in a funeral also.
Was real glad to get out of this area. I remember being in the slow lane in the high traffic hour running 80 mph in third gear weaving out of other peoples way. Quite the experience.
The Kentucky plant was a much better trip. My friends brother in law was an employee. We went back after 9:00pm for the real tour including driving completed cars in the shipping area.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Forvettes
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

I live about 40 miles from that area and toured the plant in the 70s. It wasn't a great neighborhood then.

"You don't want to go there" is correct. I've driven through the area on the Interstate (including just last week) and actually got off once to look for it. Not likely to do it again.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Trophy Blue
With all of this technology and we still can't find Osama Bin Laden nor Jimmy Hoffa!!!
Maybe those missing build sheets are buried under the parking lot, Hoffa-style.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:06 PM
rahzip
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

You guy's are a bunch of sissy's.
Just kidding!!!!!!
I live about thirty minutes from there. I have been around there,
I worked around there with no problems. It is not the best place on earth that is for sure. Would I take my car back there probably not.
Back in 1986 (I was 16) I had a freind that lived about 3 blocks up from Natural Bridge Rd. & Goodfellow and was in the area alot at that time. It was not a "good" area then either but I had no problems. (O.T. At the time I had a 71 Chevelle I bought for $400.00 sold for $950.00 today same shape about $5000.00) I dont want to get on a soapbox.
But live and let live. If you look uncomfortable in that type of surrounding, you become a mark. So you are better off staying away.
Besides there is nothing to see any longer . Which is kind of sad for us that love corvettes. It should be a shrine

But it does seem that some people have had some unfavorable veiws of St. Louis. Which is sad. I have lived here (in the burbs mostly) 35 yrs.
Never been mugged, robbed, shot at or any other problem. Lets face it times have changed and crime is becoming a problem. I have been in other cities on work issues To name a few Indy, Detriot, Chicago, & K.C. All cities have their problem areas.

There is alot of wonderful places in the city of St. Louis. Please do not judge from the few examples given above. St. Louis has a great Art mueseum, a top rated Zoo, The Fox theater, Theater dining, Great Dining ( for those of you that have been here if you did not eat on "The Hill" you missed out!) The new Busch stadium, The Arch
I could go on and on. Any forum member that comes to St. Louis let me know I will give you some pointers of where to go. If possiable, I will meet up with you.

PS 67L36Driver
I think you mean North St. Louis, Not North County. There is a huge difference.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:52 PM
ratpack1968
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a former resident of St. Louis I couldnt agree more. St. Louis is a great city with a lot of important and interesting history. And like most large cities it has its share of less desirable areas. I can say the same things about Dallas, Texas.

"rahzip", you should check "Trattoria Marcella" over on Watson Road sometime. Some of the best food in the city.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:46 PM
rahzip
Racer

Thanks for the back up Ratpack. I will check it out with the wife, Hmmm now to find a babysitter?
Old 06-06-2006, 09:44 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

rahzip:
There is alot of wonderful places in the city of St. Louis. Please do not judge from the few examples given above. St. Louis has a great Art mueseum, a top rated Zoo, The Fox theater, Theater dining, Great Dining ( for those of you that have been here if you did not eat on "The Hill" you missed out!) The new Busch stadium, The Arch
I couldn't agree more, now you made me 'home sick' again. Being 'south side dutch' I always had to have a city/county map whenever I left Mehlville or I'd get lost.

I do not miss the horrible traffic.

St. Joseph is a one horse town and we have a statue to prove it (Pony Express horse & rider).

Get notified of new replies

To St. Louis Factory

Old 06-07-2006, 07:37 PM
rahzip
Racer

67L36Driver I sent you a PM.
Sorry to make you home sick.

One other thing guy's. One thing I should have mentioned and failed to. Most important claim to fame. "St. Louis is the birth place of THE CORVETTE" and toasted ravioli.(Those from St. L will know what that is! MMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 08:01 PM
ratpack1968
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps we're getting way off topic here, but let's not forget that St. Louis is also the birthplace of - Budweiser beer, the ice cream cone, Dr. Pepper and 7-UP and all of the high performance military aircraft produced by McDonnell-Douglas. Incidentally, toasted ravioli is a house specialty of Trattoria Marcella. Tell the chef his cousin in Dallas sent you!
Old 06-07-2006, 09:26 PM
rahzip
Racer

Originally Posted by ratpack1968
Perhaps we're getting way off topic here, but let's not forget that St. Louis is also the birthplace of - Budweiser beer, the ice cream cone, Dr. Pepper and 7-UP and all of the high performance military aircraft produced by McDonnell-Douglas. Incidentally, toasted ravioli is a house specialty of Trattoria Marcella. Tell the chef his cousin in Dallas sent you!

Big smiles!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: St. Louis Factory