C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Count on ProTeam!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 06:08 PM
Top_Notch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Count on ProTeam! (TheOman)

A neighbor came over to take a look at the car. No joke here....remember I JUST bought this car and still am jazzed with my new toy
Too bad, because if that were me, I'd be begging for a ride and only ask to 'see what she can do'. I know too many people that own just to own,
not to use as originally intended. Nothing but nothing drives me crazier!!!
Old 09-07-2001, 09:01 AM
59er
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Count on ProTeam! (58Mike)

This type of post always gets lots of emotional responses.

I got involved with a club (Mustang) that favored original numbers matching cars and got all excited and enthusiastic and just happened to have fluked an original example although well worn so I spent fist fulls of cash and years of weekends and evenings restoring it "correctly" and it won a few trophies but the most fun I had with it was when on the open roads with neither a judge or another "correct" car in sight, then when I decided that I had to have another car (a Vette) and sold the Stang, the guy that bought it couldn't have given a toss if it was correct or not and I didn't get 1c more for it than If I had restored it on the cheap. It took ages to sell it and most of the guys that did know anything about originality just tried to impress me with their "knowledge" but in the end were just tire kickers.

Once anything gets to the point of value that guys are counterfitting them, then it's time to get interested in something else. I was looking at e-bay awhile ago and I found that guys were making counterfit boxes for die-cast models of the 60's batmobile so guys could say that they had an "original model" in "original packaging" and one ad was asking for $500 for the model in box and had already had bids in the high $300's. Now thats really sad that guys lives become so empty that they are willing to spend that much on a piece of nostalgia that may not even be the real thing.

On the other side of the coin some NCRS guys have really helped me with technical problems on this forum and the NCRS disscussion board so I wouldn't be putting them down as with all walks of life be it cars, work or anything to do with human beings there's the good guys and the others!

As far as pro-team is concerned, as we all know but often ignore........let the buyer beware!!!!!!!!

Mark.

[Modified by 59er, 7:05 AM 9/7/2001]

[Modified by 59er, 7:07 AM 9/7/2001]
Old 09-07-2001, 09:27 AM
3X2-427
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Count on ProTeam! (59er)

"As for the NCRS bashers, every NCRS member I've met is very cool. If you happen to have a car that wouldn't do well in judging, too bad. Get over it. Enjoy your car for what it is. But don't bash an organization that strives to preserve these great old cars."

Well said and I agree despite my outspoken opposition the NCRS current "mis management" the group, as a whole, will survive the prevailing ineptitude spawned by politics

"
Old 09-07-2001, 09:40 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Count on ProTeam! (TheOman)

hmmmm...never been a fan of the ncrs because i'm not as much a purist as the organization purports to serve but i think people is people......met some ncrs-types who are fine and then a few ******** along the way.......actually, one reason why i left the corvette club i joined was the jerk factor of some of the members...we went on a cruise, (with the limited amount of time i have to work on my cars i'm happy to just get the bb out of the barn) and mr beautiful '70 sez, gee, your tires are a little dirty and you got some some dirt by the rear bumper...WTF??.....and i know how much money this "expert" has pissed away on his ride - shoulda' asked him how much he flushed down the toilet this month....

..why did god not make enough horse's heads? :rolleyes:

...still and all, i'm not real keen on ncrs and just stopped visiting their site, get everything i need here
Old 09-07-2001, 10:56 AM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Count on ProTeam! (Kid_Again)

I am going to join the NCRS, one of these days.
I also know it depends on the local chapter if the folks
are cool or not.(Anyone here belong to the South Orange County
Chapter of the NCRS? How is it?)
Nothing worse than having someone
look down their nose at your pride and joy. I already
know how that feels. :rolleyes: Having owned over a dozen
60's muscle cars, I now know there are more experts than cars!
But I am over the modification bug.
In between 65 Vette's I built a full race 71 2002 (Lot of fun!)
(As well as many 60's Mustangs through the years)
However, I own 2 cars that have been modified (The vette has been changed more than the Ford) and plan to leave the changes. As I view the mods
as vintage changes that improve the cars. So I am in an odd spot, I have a car thats very orig, as far as
Engine, trans, RR, paint, int, Ti, da, da, da,da. But the Susp & Exhaust
Fender lips & wheels have been modified. I like the changes and have no plans
to Ever go 100% stock. (Although I have the orig parts to put it back,
I don't want to) Way too much fun to drive in its current state.
So how will the NCRS react to my car? (Its verry low & trimmd)
I really enjoy the hobby, and would like to get involved in a group
that shares the same interests. The vette clubs close to home have dried up.
So as far as I know the NCRS is the only game in town?
Thoughts?
Oh, BTW I am 40 today (& never been in a car club), I don't feel any different? :confused:
Or do I?
Old 09-07-2001, 11:44 AM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Count on ProTeam! (396 RAT)

Why not think of us, here, as your club. I'd certainly NEVER look down on your car!

How could you not love a beautiful C2 big-block roadster with lots of history behind it? :cheers:

Man these C2s are :cool: modified or not!
Old 09-07-2001, 04:07 PM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Count on ProTeam! (67HEAVEN)

Thanks 67Heaven,
For your kind words I will reward you with this link, I know you will enjoy it.
Both Bobs should be at my house in a few weeks. Planning a small reunion,
of Racers & Cars.
http://www.67fso.com/

And this is a great place to talk cars!
:cheers:
Old 09-07-2001, 05:34 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

396RAT,

Thanks for the great link http://www.67fso.com/

Now here's a C2 Corvette to blow a NCRS judge's mind! :crazy:

A FSO with an over-the-body stinger stripe, three (count 'em three taillights per side), non-stock wheels, and NO front bumper (just like mine). Also, the gills are painted white.....just like mine :D

A Goodyear sticker on the passenger-side fibreglass near front turn signal.....wouldn't ya love to be there for the judging???? :boxing :lol: :lol: :lol:

[Modified by 67HEAVEN, 4:37 PM 9/7/2001]
Old 09-08-2001, 08:36 AM
59er
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

396RAT,

In reply to your question about car clubs.

I have belonged to many car and motorcycle clubs over the years, I have owned modern sports cars and modern motorcycles and also owned antique and classic cars and motorcycles. I have always done my own restoration and modification work so although I do have quite a bit of knowlege about a reasonably wide range of vehicles I would never consider myself knowlegable enough to publicly criticise other peoples cars or the work they do on them.

To sum up my experiences in clubs I would have to say that they have brought me some great freinds and some great times but overall they have brought me much dissapointment.

The competitive nature of a large number of these club members in general often spoils what should be the sharing of good times.

There is usually an "inner sanctom" of "select" members in most clubs and I have often been left feeling a fool by the comments and opinions of these self proclaimed experts.

I have also found that in many clubs that the cars or bikes take a back seat to the "social" aspect of the club which is not why I join clubs as the ONLY reason for me to be in a club is for the cars.

A lot of clubs will expect you to be very active and to contribute as much as possible which is great if you're retired and have plenty of time but I have on many occasions been made to feel like some sort of parasite because I only get to a few meetings or runs and "everyone else" has to carry me.

So go to a couple of meetings and to a couple of their runs and see for yourself what the club has to offer YOU before joining up.

Sounds like I'm a bit bitter doesn't it, well I have been a touch annoyed with clubs at times!

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2001, 11:36 AM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Count on ProTeam! (59er)

59er, Well said.
That's why I have never joined a club.
Many, buy trailer queens, make all the events
but cant tell you anything about the cars!
(Definitely not my crowd)
Found that out 20 years ago when early
Mustangs were the rage. I have attended
many, many, car shows over the past 30
years (My dad used to take me to Pomona, 60's-70's ).
From local to the
larger ones in my area- Pomona / Knotts Berry Farm (Fords)
Mainly Mustang or Vette shows.
And have had some exposure to what clubs are all about.
The good thing about the NCRS is, you pay your dues
and can attend as many, or as few events as you like.
I would like to have my car judged, not so much for an award
but to learn more about my car. As others have mentioned here
they do take it to the extreme. Its great they go to such lengths
for originality, but I would never own a car I would be afraid to drive.
And IMHO that's what happens to many who jump in with both feet.
Then they sell the car for something they can drive.
Like I have always said, there no fun when there finished.
So I will never "Finish" another car.
But to each his own.
I buy fast cars because they are fast,
not because they are Rare. But here I am with a rare, fast car.
(I really fell into my current Vette, it was a fluke. A guy at work
grew up next door to the owner & use to help out at the races)
I guess if your involved long enough in this hobby its just a form of evolution.
Start here, and end up way over there.
Thanks again for sharing your experiences with clubs.
I think your story is more typical, than not. :cheers:

Quick Reply: Count on ProTeam!