C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Found Some Small Holes???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 02:13 PM
chub
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found Some Small Holes???

I am replacing the carpet in my 66 vert and found some small holes on both the left and right side in the luggage area. I can't find any reference to them in the manuals that I have so are they supposed to be there? At first I thought that they might be for drain or ventilation, but that did not pass my common sense test. Anyone know.

Oh by the way, just FYI and I am fairly sure that vert owners probably know this already, but I would like to at least try to repay some of the help that I have already received from this forum, so here goes. I found a broken deck lid spring and after investigating I discovered a lot of rust on the driver's side deck lid hatch mechanism. I had to find out why. there are two drain holes in the channel behind the deck lid. Both holes were clogged. I poured water into the holes and filled them up but no drain. I used an air hose, and it helped some, but inserted a coated wire and got rid of the clogs. Now water flows. Just fyi.

Chub
Old 06-10-2006, 04:36 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by chub
I am replacing the carpet in my 66 vert and found some small holes on both the left and right side in the luggage area. I can't find any reference to them in the manuals that I have so are they supposed to be there? At first I thought that they might be for drain or ventilation, but that did not pass my common sense test. Anyone know.Chub
If they're in the area shown near the bottom of the photo below, they're for the optional shoulder belt anchor bolts.

Last edited by JohnZ; 06-10-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:44 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JohnZ
If they're in the area shown near the bottom of the photo below, they're for the optional shoulder belt anchor bolts.
interesting, i didn't know those were an option then.

OT question: I saw a 1965 Pontiac GTO with shoulder belts back in the early 1970's. looked very professional, almost factory. had a couple small chrome gizmos on the roof where the belt d-rings or whatever you call them were attached. Do you know if this was a factory option on the goat?

Thanks,
doug
Old 06-10-2006, 05:53 PM
chub
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnZ
John,
I was not very clear, they are in the bottom and they are very small. I found a bunch of speaker wires, so I am about to believe that they were used for that.

Thank you.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:53 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

John,
I was not very clear, they are in the bottom and they are very small. I found a bunch of speaker wires, so I am about to believe that they were used for that.
Sounds like a Bubba/ stereo store special. Run the wires under the car as it is easier than pulling up the carpet.

I still can't believe the number of stereo salesmen that were always trying to sell me some super speaker setup for my '61 about 25 years ago, and when I pointed out there were no places to put all those speakers, they were always trying to talk me into to just cutting holes in the doorpanels and convertible top deck lid.

Cretins.

doug
Old 06-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Denney
Melting Slicks

John,

Thank you.
There ARE a couple of drain holes in the bottom of the jack tray (1 on each side) that are filled at the factory with a plastic plug...

Get notified of new replies

To Found Some Small Holes???

Quick Reply: Found Some Small Holes???