C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vent Window Hinge Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 10:56 PM
SherpaPilot
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Vent Window Hinge Install

I have been reworking my left door of my 65 coupe for the past few weeks and now starting to make progress. I had to remove the vent window, remove the glass from the frame, weld a new hinge and have the frame rechromed. I picked up the frame from the chrome shop today and overall, it looks pretty good. The vent window hinge is a small rivet. Does anyone know how to properly re-attach the window hinge using this rivet? The only logical way I know is to have someone hold the vent window in place, insert the rivet, and somehow ping the rivet over from the bottom side. This sounds a little risky. Am I making any sense here or have I been out in the garage too long? I know this vent window hinge is a simple thing and maybe there is a special tool just for this rivet. As always guys, thanks for your expert advice as it is always helpful.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:34 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

I put a ball bearing up against the hollow end of the rivet and squeezed the rivet with a pair of vice grips. Protect the rivet head from tool marks. Rivet is shouldered so you don't have to worry about over squeezing it.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:41 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Shops that do brake shoe relining have rivet setting machines................................ .
Old 06-28-2006, 10:37 AM
SherpaPilot
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default vent Window Hinge

Thanks guys...I will think about the ball bearing/visegrip idea. But the brake shop is another good idea too. Appreciate your help.

Don

Old 06-28-2006, 12:57 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The company I worked for had a lot of old machines with external contracting (clamshell) brakes. Service dept. relined almost all of them. Used a standard brake shoe riviting machine.

Practice on something first.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:23 PM
achapman
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be careful, the rivits that I got were aluminum and they split up the middle when I crimped one. I wound up using a #6 screw with a vinal lock nut. Works great and easily removed..... Yeah, I know I am not going to win any NCRS votes, but did I tell you it works great....

Get notified of new replies

To Vent Window Hinge Install

Quick Reply: Vent Window Hinge Install