C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 SWC air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 03:24 PM
rgwebb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 63 SWC air conditioning

I have a 63 SWC and would like to know if it is possible to get air conditioning installed, how much of a job it would be, and (ballpark) what it would cost.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:02 PM
vettefrenchee
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a company called Vintage Air that does a great job. I have it in my 63 SWC and it looks original and works great. It was in it when I bought the car in April so I'm not sure of the price. I think between $2000 and $2500. It's well worth it. You may have to replace the cooling fan with a 6 blade fan to avoid overheating. Depends on where you live.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:29 PM
63C2splitter
CF Senile Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

I installed Vintage Air in my 63 Coupe several years ago. It was a lot of work. When you open the box, it seems a little overwhelming. Once you organize everything, and start through the instructions, it starts coming together. It is a lot of work, and takes a considerable amount of time to get everything installed (ducts, under dash box, compressor / lines, condensor unit, etc...). Have help - lots of things the require more than 1 set of hands.

As for cost, it is kind of like that joke that was on here the other day about oil changes. If you count Beer and new tools that you use this as an excuse to buy, it is very expensive. After the installation, I was fighting over-heating problems when running the AC. I ended up putting a DeWitt radiator and electric fans in to resolve that issue. It all works good now, and engine stays cool. The actual cost of the Vintage Air unit was about $1,800 4 years ago (this includes the cost of a new radiator and fans). Good luck.

Dave

Last edited by 63C2splitter; 07-03-2006 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:01 PM
rgwebb
Instructor

Thanks alot "Vettefrenchee" and "63C2splitter". I will try to contact Vintage Air and see if they can point me to anyone who can do the job in the Harrisburg, PA area. "63C2splitter", since you ordered the unit from the company, do you have an address and/or phone number?
Old 07-03-2006, 07:25 PM
63C2splitter
CF Senile Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I think I bought it from Corvette Central. Attached is a link to a similar unit. The cost seems lower than what I paid for the "Vintage Air Unit". I was reading the info sheet on this and it says it should be installed by a "professional" - they didn't tell me anything like that when I bought mine.

http://www.corvettecentral.com/newsletter/200605251.htm

Here is the Vintage Air home page.
http://www.vintageair.com/

Last edited by 63C2splitter; 07-03-2006 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

You can buy direct from Vintage Air and it is about $1000.00 or $1100.00
Old 07-03-2006, 08:18 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

i want to add AC to my '65 coupe.
did a bunch of research........ the "kits" from the different AV vendors such as Vintage Air, Classic Auto Air, etc typically run $1250 - $1500.
You can install it yourself although it's a bunch of work but thast's what I plan on doing.
Before I decided to do it myself I shoped around at a number of "Corvette specialty" shops to see how much they wanted for the system and installation. EVERY single place I spoke to wasn't thrilled about doing the job, said it was a real PITA, but they would do it and the average price between all the shops was $5500!!
yep, they wanted about $4000 labor to install it for 2-3 days work.
Forget that, I'll do it myself!

BTW, when I compared systems I was more impressed with the Classic Auto Air system than the Vintage Air system although many use the VA and are pleased. Either one should work fine whichever you choose.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:18 PM
63C2splitter
CF Senile Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Mike is right, the kit is a little over a thousand bucks, then add some for belts (you have to relocate alternator to drivers side - and I updated the Alt to a larger unit), new radiator in my case w/fans $650, and othr miscellanious stuff. The total cost in my case was close to $2K. I don't regret adding the unit.

Dave
Old 07-03-2006, 08:44 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryK
i want to add AC to my '65 coupe.
did a bunch of research........ the "kits" from the different AV vendors such as Vintage Air, Classic Auto Air, etc typically run $1250 - $1500.
You can install it yourself although it's a bunch of work but thast's what I plan on doing.
Before I decided to do it myself I shoped around at a number of "Corvette specialty" shops to see how much they wanted for the system and installation. EVERY single place I spoke to wasn't thrilled about doing the job, said it was a real PITA, but they would do it and the average price between all the shops was $5500!!
yep, they wanted about $4000 labor to install it for 2-3 days work.
Forget that, I'll do it myself!

BTW, when I compared systems I was more impressed with the Classic Auto Air system than the Vintage Air system although many use the VA and are pleased. Either one should work fine whichever you choose.
with Barry. I installed a Classic Auto Air Perfect Fit System in my 67 Big Block Coupe last year. It took me a little over 30 hours. The kit was $1,250.00 and included dual axillary cooling fans. They sent a few incorrect parts and overnighted the correct ones without question. This is a link to my installation Installing Classic Auto Air Perfect fit A/C . The system works great. Outlet temp is 36 to 38*F. Had it out today (88* & very humid) and the cabin was nice and cool on the medium fan setting. I prefer this system since it has cable operated controls vs. vacuum controls. There is a pretty good learning curve installing these systems. Now that I have done one, I am fairly certain I could do one in 20 hours or less.
Roy

Last edited by 67-427ci; 07-04-2006 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:41 PM
63C2splitter
CF Senile Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by BarryK
EVERY single place I spoke to wasn't thrilled about doing the job, said it was a real PITA, but they would do it and the average price between all the shops was $5500!!
Wow!!!!

I had no idea they wanted that much to install the system. I guess I don't mind the amount of work it took now. It definately isn't that hard. 67-427 said it best - the learning curve is very steep. I could install it now in much less time.

Dave
Old 07-03-2006, 09:54 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 63C2splitter
Wow!!!!

I had no idea they wanted that much to install the system. I guess I don't mind the amount of work it took now. It definately isn't that hard. 67-427 said it best - the learning curve is very steep. I could install it now in much less time.

Dave
yeah, a ridiculous amount for the installation! I really got the feeling that these shops didn't want the job so they price it so high that nobody in their right mind would have them do it.
Now that i'm doing my own work on my car I'll tackle it myself as a winter project so it it takes me 20, 30, or 100 hours it won't matter.
No way i'm shelling out $4K to have someone else install it.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:39 AM
rgwebb
Instructor

It's obvious to me that the installation is way out of my league, so I will probably have to enjoy driving on the cooler days as usual and forget about A/C. Thanks for all the info everyone.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:02 AM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rgwebb
It's obvious to me that the installation is way out of my league, so I will probably have to enjoy driving on the cooler days as usual and forget about A/C. Thanks for all the info everyone.
Don't sell yourself short so quickly on installing A/C. You don't need any special tools and the instructions (from Classic Auto Air) are step-by-step, VERY detailed with lots of pictures. Plus with all the help you get on this forum it is pretty easy. Maybe there is a forum member near you that has done an installation that might give you a hand. I would be happy to assist if you were near me.
Roy
Old 07-04-2006, 11:12 AM
63C2splitter
CF Senile Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 67-427ci
Don't sell yourself short so quickly on installing A/C. You don't need any special tools and the instructions (from Classic Auto Air) are step-by-step, VERY detailed with lots of pictures. Plus with all the help you get on this forum it is pretty easy. Maybe there is a forum member near you that has done an installation that might give you a hand. I would be happy to assist if you were near me.
Roy
It is something you can do. The instructions are clear, and take you through the process. And, as 67-427 said, you can get lots of help from forum members. I know I said it was hard work in a previous post, but so is digging post holes. It will take some time, but you can definately do it. An added bonus is that you will become very familiar with your vehicle, and probably find some areas that need attention while you are at it.

Dave

Last edited by 63C2splitter; 07-04-2006 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:26 AM
rgwebb
Instructor

That's great encouragment! Maybe I'll think about it over next winter. I'm much better working with wood (making violins) than busting knuckles and swearing at engines.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:14 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rgwebb
That's great encouragment! Maybe I'll think about it over next winter. I'm much better working with wood (making violins) than busting knuckles and swearing at engines.
how's this for encouragement..........
11 months ago I was too scared to do ANYTHING on my own car. I didn't even know how to change the oil or set timing. I needed help to replace a fan clutch and that is only 4 bolts!

With the help of everyone here on the forum I do not take my car to a mechanic anymore and i'm doing everything myself and I have no problem deciding to tackle the AC installation myself as a winter project.
Believe me, there probably isn't anything that others on here have not encountered and they can help you get thru just about any project you decide to take on to do yourself.
All you need is the willingness to learn and take on the project yourself and mentally getting over the "intimidation factor" of doing something you have never done before.
Oh, there will always be some degree of screaming, cussing, and frustration somewhere in the middle of the project, but you just keep working on it until you get it done right and there is no greater satisfaction than knowing you did it yourself (especially when it comes to saving $4K!!)
Old 07-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default 63 Air

I agree with the above. Don't sell yourself short. Before I bought my Vintage Air system, I down loaded the instruction booklet from their website. I read it a few times and am preparing myself for the install when my body comes back from the paint shop. PM me if you can't find the instructions and I can send you a copy. Jerry
Old 07-05-2006, 08:17 AM
rgwebb
Instructor

Tampa Jerry - That is great information. If I see the instructions, I can decide whether I can/am willing to try to do it. I will look for the instructions at Vintage Air and if I can't find them, I'll send you a PM. Thanks!
And again thanks for the encouragement to everyone else.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:33 PM
1963GrayGray
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 71 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C1 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

Dick, I see that you are also a member of Central Pa. Corvette Club.
I agree with most of the replys. You can install the AC system with a little patience and good instructions. Good luck.

Dave Gray
Carlisle, Pa.

Get notified of new replies

To 63 SWC air conditioning

Quick Reply: 63 SWC air conditioning